THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers Martavis Bryant Faces Year Suspension

Zombo

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-suspension-substance-abuse-policy?xid=si_social

Steelers receiver Martavis Bryant faces a yearlong suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, according to multiple reports.

The news was first reported by Dejan Kovacevic of DKPittsburghSports.com. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport confirmed the news and adds that Bryant will appeal his suspension. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reportsBryant’s agent says the receiver learned of the potential suspension this week.

Bryant, 24, was suspended the first four games of the 2015 season for violating the league’s substance policy. His appeal of that suspension was upheld. He returned to contribute to Pittsburgh’s postseason run, catching 50 passes and six touchdowns in 11 games. Under the league’s policy, a second substance abuse violation results in a full-year suspension.

If Bryant misses the season, the Steelers would be without one of their top targets alongside star wideout Antonio Brown. Over his first two NFL seasons, Bryant, a fourth-round selection in 2014, has caught 76 passes for 1,314 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Bryant made a memorable touchdown catch in the 2015 postseason during a crazy Steelers win agaisnt the Bengals.

Makes no sense a player would choose Marijuana over Pro Foorball. This is not the first time for Bryant either. Looks like another Josh Gordon.

Just legalize it already, damn

don't need to legalize it, just remove it from the banned substances list on the state level. similar, but different.

they could do the latter tomorrow. the former has miles of red tape attached.

Let's wait and see if Rooney allows this from the Commish who answers to him. I'm not used to seeing any of Rooney's investments suspended but I am used to seeing them fined so the Rooney bottom line isn't impacted. It's very important to remember who was the owner in charge of getting the majority of NFL owners to approve the hiring of Goodell and then later supporting him again when all the Ray Rice stuff broke out.

Our Steelheads will be chomping at the bits for the 1 exception LeVeon Bell. With Bell the Commish delayed the suspension by a season so Rooney could problem solve the temporary loss with a former first round RB like DeAngelo Williams.

My guess is, this commish will suspend him for a year if he has to....

but it will be for the year 2017. so the squealers will have time to draft a couple of wr's to

replace him........

sure, that's just funny, but ...would anybody be surprised?

My guess is, this commish will suspend him for a year if he has to....

but it will be for the year 2017. so the squealers will have time to draft a couple of wr's to

replace him........

sure, that's just funny, but ...would anybody be surprised?

No.. I expect King Roger to make things easy for the Stools.. He's theyre bitch.

What will they do?

They lost Burress, they lost Holmes, they lost Wallace, they lost Sanders, etc.

They have someone waiting that we've never heard of. Next year, we'll hear of him.

They have been the damned luckiest team when it comes to getting mid round WRs.

They have been the damned luckiest team when it comes to getting mid round WRs.

One of my favorite racquetball shots is to hit it hard off the side wall close to the back wall so that it Z's off the opposite side wall up near the front wall and rolls sideways from there in a rollout parallel to the front wall.

Every time I hit it I hear, "Lucky damn shot!". Well if you do this consistently and rarely miss, that qualifies in my mind as damn good. Same applies to a football team making those "lucky damn picks". After a while you just have to rule out luck.

Supposedly he is being suspended for missing tests and not failing them. If he is in fact battling depression it's far more debilitating than most people realize. I've never battled it but have had family that has and its no joke. Your whole world comes crashing down. As a professional athlete that has to be hard. His contract will be tolled so he will still have two years with the steelers after his suspension is over.

The steelers are supporting him but expressed this is his last chance. Does he make the most of it? No idea. Gordon shouldn't have been pegged for the year either based on what I know. It was booze and not weed for him. Fact of the matter is, it does need legalized. Medicinal benefit alone makes it logical. It's far better for depression than anti depressants. Check the side effects on those....next man up. Sammie Coates.

good on him from what I hear if he is rehabbing on his own or is it only leagues system?

He pulled his appeal and entered rehab. The steelers are supporting him so we'll see what happens.

He pulled his appeal and entered rehab. The steelers are supporting him so we'll see what happens.

Tell him check in under Gordon, Josh Gordon ;) Person 1st, wish him well..

His contract will be tolled so he will still have two years with the steelers after his suspension is over.....next man up. Sammie Coates.

Yes, correct on both.

The suspension punishes the player and not our beloved Steelers, who will get to keep him for that extra year under his rookie contract at about 600K a year.

So, the greatest loser is the player, who judging by his play thus far, would be able to get big money after his rookie contract ends, which has now been extended one more year.

Sammie Coates looks amazing in very limited work, being held off the field by an amazing receiver corps.

Roethlisberger finished the 2015 season #1 in the NFL in Yards Per Game, and set an all time NFL record in yards passing as a backup (CLE at PIT.) Credit is due to Todd Haley and Mike Munchak for making Ben what he has become.

. . . . .amazing that neither Todd Haley nor Mike Munchak came though the Browns, as all the good / great coaches in the world seem to come from the Browns.

Still wouldn't change the fact that it's in violation of the NFL's policy. The legalization of it makes no matter.

True, but it would start pot down a road to be governed by its impact upon behavior rather than its mere presence in a body... or a glove compartment...

Well, BR makes all these guys look good....Brown, Bryant, Coates maybe.

Not sure how good they would look with like Landry Jones passing it to them on a consistent basis.

It seems, more often than not, that good receivers make the QB greater. Look what Moss did for Brady. Virtually every town T.O played in, the QB had his best passing statistics ever (DAL - PHI - CIN.) Look at what great receivers and a pass-happy offense did for Carson Palmer this past season. He's 36 and had his best season ever. But yes, the dynamic can work both ways. T.O did not help Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo, as it was Fitzpatrick's worst season ever.

Speaking of Jones, we saw plenty of backup QB's this past season in our division, Landry Jones, Mike Vick, Johnny Manziel, and Raymond Anthony McCarron and it's Jones and Vick that were the worst of all. Neither Jones nor Vick are NFL quality QB's, even as backups.

Bryant's suspension made the headlines, but it's Heath Miller's retirement that's the biggest loss. I was never a big fan of Roethlisberger as it was the defense that won those games / championships. Yes, Ben has set all the records in Pittsburgh now, but the one that will never be broken is his record of being banned from all the restaurants and bars in town,

Still wouldn't change the fact that it's in violation of the NFL's policy. The legalization of it makes no matter.

If it's legalized it will be removed from the banned list. It has no performance enhancing attributes.

If it's legalized it will be removed from the banned list. It has no performance enhancing attributes.

I doubt that. Alcohol is on the list and it's legal. It's still a substance. There is an entire subsection on performance enhancing drugs that is not related to the section on opiods, alcohol and marijuana.

It would just go from "you can't use it" to "you can only use this much" - and players would still regularly fail.

I doubt that. Alcohol is on the list and it's legal. It's still a substance. There is an entire subsection on performance enhancing drugs that is not related to the section on opiods, alcohol and marijuana.

It would just go from "you can't use it" to "you can only use this much" - and players would still regularly fail.

Alcohol is not on the banned list. It was part of josh Gordon's league program but are you seriously trying to say that nfl players can't drink?

Archived