THE BROWNS BOARD

Best bassists of all time

Stanley Clarke. Got to see him, Chick Corea, and Al DiMeola in Return to Forever at Nautica maybe 8 years ago. Fantastic show even if the sound guy screwed up Al's guitar. Stanley was making panties drop. Never seen anyone who could work an upright bass like this dude.

Geddy Lee - even if you're a Rush hater, you've got to respect the talent that Geddy possesses.

The oft forgotten but integral part of the rock band: who are your best bassists of all time?

Not sure if you meant who people believe is the best bass player or who is their favorite bass player.

I know nothing about playing music but, is it fair to say, that good bass players are like Offensive Linemen in the NFL. The better job they do, the less you hear about them?

The BEST doesn't necessarily mean the most flamboyant or - even - the most technically sound since, for the most part, Rock bass players do not play a featured roll.

Clearly, some jazz folks - Stanley Clarke, for one - are more sophisticated and play a more featured roll. However, like Clarke, they probably also write and arrange music.

IMHO, asking about the best Rock bassists is a stretch in and of itself,

Not sure if you meant who people believe is the best bass player or who is their favorite bass player.

I know nothing about playing music but, is it fair to say, that good bass players are like Offensive Linemen in the NFL. The better job they do, the less you hear about them?

The BEST doesn't necessarily mean the most flamboyant or - even - the most technically sound since, for the most part, Rock bass players do not play a featured roll.

Clearly, some jazz folks - Stanley Clarke, for one - are more sophisticated and play a more featured roll. However, like Clarke, they probably also write and arrange music.

IMHO, asking about the best Rock bassists is a stretch in and of itself,

Trying too hard to qualify it. John entwhistle, flea, mccartney, claypool these guys have universal acclaim but if jazz guys come up good. They probably never get the due that they deserve

• 3 weeks later...

Swedish bass player named Dean Peer popped into my head the other nite. I only know him due to a track named Lord's Tundra that made a Stereophile test CD years ago. Solo bass track full of thumping and harmonics and very inventive stuff.

Only copy I found online and gives only a sense of its impact (parts shake the rafters), but worth a couple minutes of your time.

I always meant to find a copy of a CD by him, but never was able to. I see some now.

Aside... one of the pair of speakers videoed look like EPI's... maybe Juniors (?).... the 2-ways with the inverted dome tweeter.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A2KLqICxUABXjl4AxlEsnIlQ?p=Dean+Peer+Lords+Tundra+youtube&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Apivot&hsimp=yhs-002&hspart=mozilla&stype=web

• 3 weeks later...

Some of My favorites are Gary Willis (Tribal Tech, Glenn Hughes, James Jamerson

(did like 90%) of all the great mowtown hits you ever heard. Anthony Jackson and Jaco Pastorius.

I'm going to have to look up this Glenn Hughes guy

WSS

Glenn Hughes just had great meter. knew how to push the songs. He's more known for his bluesy style of singing.. And he's played and sang with just about every hot shit guitarist you can think of... Undervalued artist IMO for his Genre.

Cliff Burton was really good before he passed away.

Flea is also really good

I also like Steve Harris from Iron Maiden

Hughes is more known for vocals. He wouldn't make my top 20 of bassists. He wouldn't make my top 5 of Bonamassa bassists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmC9ydvdtw

Eric Czar would tho..

If you don't own this dvd, why not!!??

I believe were in agreement but Glenn Hughes isnt a complete slouch you make him out to be... While not technically gifted like a Geddy Lee or John Myung.. id put him in a class like T-bone Wolk. A guy who knows how to push the song. have solid meter and groove. I'm also not a huge Joe Bonamassa fan.. good artist.. but vastly overrated as a guitarist.. Good player.. not near the level of of say Danny Gatton or Greg Koch., or the untouchable Allan Holdsworth..

Archived