THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 5 Favorite Albums

Oh boy....thats a tough one....Ive had so many "favorite" albums over my life....Ill post the ones I played the most.....

In no particular order....

1) Beatles - Abbey Road

2) Aerosmith - Rocks

3) Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road

4) Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

5) Genesis - Seconds Out

I have about 40 others Id like to include.......

There was a Facebook chain that I and many spread asking for 15 albums. Not necessarily the greatest 15 of all time but 15 that have meant something special to your life throughout the years.

WSS

I was going to say that I thought that this question was familiar. My answer from Facebook:

OK, I will take the Facebook Challenge and try to come up with 15 of the most influential albums for me, even though I am not a musician. Yea, yea, its all old school stuff...what can I say, and it is all just sort of off the top of my head. Another day half of these would likely change:

Meet The Beatles

Abbey Road

Sgt. Pepper

(naturally the Beatles dominate this list)

Tommy (of course!)

Who's Next

School's Out...Alice Cooper

A Night at the Opera...Queen

Born to Run....Bruce

Deja Vu....CSNY

Ziggy Stardust....Bowie

The Raspberries...first album

Here Come the Warm Jets....Eno

(considered perhaps the original "ambient music" album

Purple Rain....Prince

Voices....Douglas Spotted Eagle

(unknown Native American oriented record, but I like it a lot and play it often)

15 of my favorite albums of all time

Third eye blind - blue

1227245.jpg

I played that incessantly at sexy time for years in my early twenties. For that, it will always have a special nostalgic place in my heart. If songs have the power to recall memories I can't imagine any album conjuring up better memories.Stephen Jenkins is a lyricist of uncommon power, and it has a romantic spirit and truly infectious hooks.

The strokes - is this it

The_Strokes_-_Is_This_It_cover.png

An album that really got my attention and spoke to me. Helped launch the garage band revival which I really loved. Lots and lots of goodness on this album. Particular favorites are "This Modern Age" "Barely Legal" and "Hard to Explain"

The talking heads - stop making sense
Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talking_Heads.jpg
Brilliant. The greatest live album I've ever heard. I've always liked the talking heads but this was, to me, something new and incredible. A lot of the lyrics like on "Life during wartime" and "Making Flippy Floppy" are still fully relevant to life right now. Everything old is new again.

the Beatles - abbey road
Maybe the greatest album of all time. "You never give me your money" remains one of my favorite songs of all.

Nirvana - Nevermind
NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg
There's a reason Nirvana captured the generations attention and this was it. Besides the obvious there's great songs abound on this album like "Drain you", "breed" and "lithium" I was able to definitely identify with this album greatly

Sublime - 40oz to freedom
Sublime40OztoFreedomalbumcover.jpg
So many good memories. So many sing along songs. So many times listened to partying with the type of good friends and good times you only have when you're 19 and you have an isolated house in the country to host parties every day. Like my first choice this brings back many many good memories. There's nothing to call out here. From the Opening "Waiting for my Ruca" to "thanx" at the end this is an album that deserves to be listened to from start to finish every time. It hasn't held up as well for me as some of the others on my list, because I'm in a much different place in my life than I was when this ruled the house radio, but at the time it was a juggernaut. Unstoppable.

Dave Matthews Band - busted stuff
More than anything this album got me through the toughest time in my life. In a real sense I can say I grew up over a year stretch where this album never left my disc changer.Unlike the memories conjured up by others on this list the ones this album conjures up range from bittersweet to bad but it still has a special place in my heart. The whole album was a coping mechanism but "You never know" was particularly cathartic and still touches me to this day.

Tenacious D - Tenacious D

Tenacious_D_album_cover.jpg

That Serendipitous moment when a joke concept by two actors named after a Marv Albert saying becomes a fucking brilliant album. It's impossible to know where they came from or why they rocked so goddamn hard, but what was meant to be a send-up of the rock opera genre ended up standing on it's own two feet like a boss and inspiring it's own cult. Tenacious D is Epic. "Kielbasa sausage", "Tribute", "Wonderboy", "Friendship", "Double Team", "City Hall" every one of them is hilarious and yet serious in a way. Take Jack Black's manic energy - crank it up to 10 and turn it loose. Just hold on and enjoy it.

Billy Joel - Glass houses

I can't say what it was that initially drew me to Billy Joel but when other kids my age were listening to MC Hammer and Milli Vanilli and New Kids on the Block I was rocking out to Joel deep cuts like Scenes from an Italian Resteraunt, Vienna, Miami 2017 (seen the lights go down on broadway) but this was easily my favorite single joel album. Quintessentially 80s joel the deep cuts from this are magnificent: Sleeping with the television on, I don't wanna be alone anymore, close to the borderline. I love every one of them. Every now and then I still put this album on and cheese out to 80s joel at his finest.

David Bowie - Let's Dance

David-bowie-lets-dance.jpg

It was a really tough call to choose between this and 'The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust' but ultimately the type of guy I am prefers the weird new wave 80s to the soaring rock operas of the 70s. "Five years" and "Starman" are just incredible but in the end I've got to go with Modern Love, China Girl and Let's Dance. Also as a 6 year old kid I crushed hard on Jennifer Connelly and rocked out to "Magic Dance" and "Underground" watching Labyrinth over and over again. This is the closest album Bowie has to replicating that muppety sound he achieved on that flick

Eve 6 - Horrorscope

eve-6-horrorscope.jpg

For a post-grunge punk-pop band Eve6 wrote some really good heartfelt lyrics. Combined with crunchy and catchy guitar riffs and a romantic spirit I spent many a night driving fast and singing loud to this one. If I were to hear "Rescue" or "Bang" right now I would instantly be twenty and full of manic energy again.

Never Mind the Bollocks - The Sex pistols

I love punk rock. I love it. I love what it represents. I love that it's loud. I love that it's obnoxious. I love that it's rebellious. There was nothing like the early punk rock movement. There's songs that I like better than the sex pistols...'We're only gonna die for our own arrogance' by bad religion 'Blank Generation' by Richard hell and the voidoids 'Blitzkrieg Bop' by the Ramones...but No punk album captured the zeitgeist quite like this one even if Pretty vacant wanted like hell to be "Blank Generation" God save the queen still kicks ass.

Weezer - Pinkerton

51-kjzYm%2BCL._SY300_.jpg

From Start to finish this is a catchy, infectious album. It didn't have the hits that "Weezer - weezer" did but that's ok. the three song rock block of 'The Good life, El Scorcho, and Pink triangle' is one of my favorite chunks of music on any album ever, ever.

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

I don't care. I don't even give the first shit. This was a great album. "Everybody wants to rule the world" is my single favorite song of all time. I could hear that song fifty times in a row and it would never get old. "Head over heels" is right behind it too.

Michael Jackson - Thriller

1982_MichaelJackson-Thriller1.jpg

This album is so good it almost plays like a greatest hits album. "Wanna be startin' something", "Thriller", "Beat it", "Billie Jean", "PYT" all on one album? Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. Growing up firmly in the early MTV generation there's no way you could miss Michael and really, who would want to? He was an absolute genius.

RUSH--2112

Rush_2112.jpg

Zeppelin-- IV

61qTE9kINgL._SX300_.jpg

Savatage- The Wake of Magellan

727_savatage_the_wake_of_magellan.jpg

Ozzy-- Blizzard of Oz

Blizzard_of_ozz.jpg

Metallica-- And Justice For All

Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover

Now tomorrow the list could be considerably different.. ;)

RUSH--2112

Rush_2112.jpg

Zeppelin-- IV

61qTE9kINgL._SX300_.jpg

Savatage- The Wake of Magellan

727_savatage_the_wake_of_magellan.jpg

Ozzy-- Blizzard of Oz

Blizzard_of_ozz.jpg

Metallica-- And Justice For All

Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover

Now tomorrow the list could be considerably different.. ;)

Great list!

While I can't name 'em due to how long ago it was, 3 or 4 HAD to be Beatles/and or Rolling Stones albums & I have a dark horse candidate few will even recognize, much less remember...

Traveling Wilburys Vol 1...Great artists & probably my favorite album all time.

Mike

Few will remember the traveling wilbury's? One of the greatest supergroups of all time?

One of my daughters loves 'em...The other calls 'em "The travelling hillbillies". Obviously I thought, and still think, they were great.

Mike

Rush 2112

Metallica Master of Puppets

Black Sabbath Master of Reality

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

Beatles Abbey Road

I'm surprised The Eagles didn't make anyone's list so far.

Tom Petty is a rock genius who isn't truly appreciated

Speaking of The Eagles, their guitarist Don Felder taught Tom Petty how to play.

In no particular order:

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Pat Travers Band - Live! Go for What You Know

Tough to name just 5, but here goes:

1) Black Sabbath Vol 4

2) Golden Earring Moontan

3) Deep Purple Machine Head

4) Pink Floyd Animals

5) Genesis The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Rush 2112, Alice Cooper School's Out ,Led Zeppelin In Through the Out Door in the running

Brad Paisley's "Mud on the Tires"

Alison Krauss and the Union Station Live 2 CD

and the old Beatles "Rubber Soul" album, that I always listened to

at 78 rpm so it sounded like the Alvin and the Chipmunks.

330px-Chipmunk_band.jpg

can't believe i agree with a lot of these selections. my friends call my music crap.

genesis - seconds out

billy idol - rebel yell

pink floyd - animals

camel - breathless

tool - aenima

love the brian eno pick. love seger. hell i coulda added 20 more to the list but off the top of my head.......

Alison Krauss's singing, and the Union Station bluegrass... fascinates me. It's just so beautiful.

But here, she sings ...alto? backup to Shania Twain.

https://youtu.be/9kClAZAYK3M

I believe she can make magic of any song. Note - it's a long video, of interviews with friends and herself...

I would pay huge bucks to see her in concert, and I'd love to see Steve sing a duet with her some day.....

https://youtu.be/9WNpwyP0_IA

Bowie - Hunky Dory

James Gang - James Gang Rides again

Yes - Close to the Edge

more later... I'll try to keep it to only 2 more...

The reason for my fav being Speak of the Devil -ozzy

Brad Gillis is one of my fav guitarist. I met him at a show he was putting on in Litchfield, Il. Night Ranger was playing and this is when they were playing smaller venues as opposed to bigger places they used to. Everyone knew Brad as the talented guitarist for Night Ranger but didn't know that he played for Ozzy when Randy Rhoads passed away in March of '82.

Speak of the Devil was recorded in Nov. of '82. Ozzy owed the record company two records. It was a live double album. They recorded live at the Ritz at an empty venue. Three songs had crowd noise dubbed in to have the album appear more live. Crazy.

I talked to Brad and have the utmost respect for his versatile talents. Great album.

The reason for my fav being Speak of the Devil -ozzy

Brad Gillis is one of my fav guitarist. I met him at a show he was putting on in Litchfield, Il. Night Ranger was playing and this is when they were playing smaller venues as opposed to bigger places they used to. Everyone knew Brad as the talented guitarist for Night Ranger but didn't know that he played for Ozzy when Randy Rhoads passed away in March of '82.

Speak of the Devil was recorded in Nov. of '82. Ozzy owed the record company two records. It was a live double album. They recorded live at the Ritz at an empty venue. Three songs had crowd noise dubbed in to have the album appear more live. Crazy.

I talked to Brad and have the utmost respect for his versatile talents. Great album.

I have one of the Gillis Ozzy shows around here on DVD. He didn't do many.. But he did well.. I also have a Jeff Watson solo cd that is freaking terrible..

I'm just loving bluegrass. I found my album, with Alison Krauss and the Union Station,

on youtube.

To me, the music moves me, I love the complexity of the different instruments making

music, and Alison singing. And, their music that makes the movie

"Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou" so perfect in the soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/3_UCz_qaqGk

• 3 weeks later...

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

It was such a ground breaking masterpiece in terms of writing style, the different variety of music. And the technical break through in recording techniques by both Jimi and Eddie Kramer.

Aja - Steeley Dan

Not only is the music and the songs are great.. But I thought Gary Katz did a great job mixing and EQueing that record.

Hughes / Thrall.

Glenn Hughes and Pat Thrall (Pat Travers) put out a collaboration album in 1982. It was just brilliant from the songwriting and the Music.. it had that Grand canyon sound to it. it was brilliantly engineered. Sadly. Promoters and the like didnt do enough to push the record at the time.. Which to Me is a travesty. its a well crafted album and it shouldve made the charts.

Ozzy Osbourne - Speak of the Devil.

I really love Brad Gilli's performance on guitar , on this album. The guitar sound was just absolutely killer. I really believe Mesa Boogie Amplifiers came to the forefront because of that album.. those old boogie simul-class Mark II amps were great.

Dream Theater's Metropolis: Scenes from a Memory.

Just a great album that tells great stories..every musician in this band is tops... And Kevin shirley did a great job engineering it.

post-271-0-75726100-1461516508_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-20960000-1461516524_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-74201500-1461516689_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-61081300-1461516701_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-61825600-1461516709_thumb.jpg

Archived