THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 5 Rock Icons...Whose career began post 1980

So, here you go. Put your list together here.

Madonna

Prince

Bono (U2)

Eminem

and finally...there are about a dozen others to choose from

How about: Bruno Mars?

(or the dozen other candidates that include: Rihanna, Beyonce, JayZ, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Taylor Swift, Kanye, Bon Jovi, Lady Gaga, Axl Rose....a real grab bag to me)

I checked discography...and found that all of these had the first albums out in 1980 or after (Prince/U2 came close....but even if they may have put something out prior to 1980....they didn't start to get run until after 1980)

Well, pop is not rock, for sure. Katy Perry, Bruno Mars are pop stars and Madonna basically invented the genre.

You can boil it down to one specific genre if you want to I guess. But I happen to think Rock n Roll takes in a broad spectrum.

But, OK, if you want to be a "Rock n roll has gone downhill ever since Buddy Holly died" kinda guy...can't no on stop you.

Eddie Vedder

Dave Grohl

Kurt Cobain

Trent Reznor

Chrissie Hynde....gotta include one chick at least

Ill give Price an honorable mention....cause, like him or not, he's god to a lot of folks....

So, you are a boil it down to one genre guy....and your genre seems to be grunge, fair to say? (except for Chrissie)

So, you are a boil it down to one genre guy....and your genre seems to be grunge, fair to say? (except for Chrissie)

If you want to say 2 outta 5 is all one genre.....Cobain and Vedder are grunge, which pretty much ruled the 90's and beyond.....but Reznor, Grohl(Foo Fighters) and Hynde are not.....and actually are all very different in my book....but def Rock

James Hetfield

Eddie Vedder

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Billy Corgan

Not sure how much "Rock" he is but Prince is pretty good

I think mud and myself trying to boil it down to 'rock' at least.

And yet, unless I've missed it you haven't got any kind of a definition to go on.

Not to mention that everybody's set up camp in their own little favorite guys yard and completely ignoring the OP.

Number one greatest rock icon:

This guy that works with my brother, cuz you can crank up the radio and he can play along with anything! I forget his name, I think it's like Jim or Joe or something.

:)

WSS

If you want to say 2 outta 5 is all one genre.....Cobain and Vedder are grunge, which pretty much ruled the 90's and beyond.....but Reznor, Grohl(Foo Fighters) and Hynde are not.....and actually are all very different in my book....but def Rock

From what I have heard of Reznor (Nine Inch Nails...no?) I thought it was pretty much grunge/heavy metal. And Grohl, from what I learned started with Nirvana...who are the kings of grunge.....so I assumed he brought it forth to his new band as well some.

1. Kurt Cobain - nirvana

2. Dave Grohl - foo fighters

3. James Hetfield - metallica

4. Layne staley - Alice in chains

5. Billy Corgan - smashing pumpkins

Tough call for me on 5. Was between Corgan and Scott Weiland of STP. Both had massive success and great appeal.

Green day could easily be on this list if it were iconic bands from 80's forward but I don't think he himself I'd a string enough front man

Agree. In terms of iconic rock bands then sure, green day were a driving force in the genre for a generation (taking over from nirvana).

But for individuals, it's difficult to go with a single name. Grohl is probably as big an icon since that period. Maybe the Gallaghers from Oasis, but not the same league in terms of versatility and longevity. Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

Most of the more recent rock bands have been bands, not so much individuals, and the individuals haven't been so famous. Is the age of the iconic frontman - freddie mercury, eric clapton, phil collins, ozzy etc - over?

Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

Maybe not to the general public, but Chad Smith(RHCP) has also reached a fairly high level of icon status in drum circles......

And at this stage of the game, Id pick Slash over Axl in a heart beat....iconic guitarist, still relevant and pretty successful with both Guns and Velvet Revolver....as well as guesting on a lot of other stuff.....

Agree. In terms of iconic rock bands then sure, green day were a driving force in the genre for a generation (taking over from nirvana).

But for individuals, it's difficult to go with a single name. Grohl is probably as big an icon since that period. Maybe the Gallaghers from Oasis, but not the same league in terms of versatility and longevity. Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

Most of the more recent rock bands have been bands, not so much individuals, and the individuals haven't been so famous. Is the age of the iconic frontman - freddie mercury, eric clapton, phil collins, ozzy etc - over?

I'd be tempted to say that kurt cobain was the last great rock star and that the corporate success they struggled with killed the rock star as we knew it.

Grohl, in many ways, feels like a throwback to the good old days of rock in the 70's

right....possibly because the music industry has really changed with the death of regular radio - Mtv - and record distribution as we knew it....way less visibility for a lot of artists, then there used to be.....

• 2 weeks later...

rock is rock (encompassing everything from classic to metal). disco was disco. hip hop is hip hop. rap is rap. country is country. pop is pop. house is house etc. etc.

to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

Archived