THE BROWNS BOARD

Repeating Rock Icons.......

Ok....so, with all the icons and ongoing discussion of Dave Grohl....I starting thinking about the ones who have achieved superstar status more than once.....the true greats that were great no matter who they played with...so to speak......a zillion have gone solo and done well....but how many have done it with multiple successful bands.....here goes....

1) Randy Bachman......Guess Who - Bachmann Turner Overdrive - solo

2) Eric Clapton.............Yardbirds - Cream - Blind Faith - Derrick and the Dominos - Solo

3) Paul McCartney.......Beatles - Wings - Solo

4) Joe Walsh................James Gang - Barnstorm - Eagles - Solo

5) Ronnie Dio...............Dio - Rainbow - Black Sabbath

I wish all the luck for Steve Adler. He was the drummer for GnR now with his own band. Ive had the pleasure of meeting him. Super nice guy man you wouldn't believe how cool he is.

It was a normal day at the truckstop. I seen a group of rock n roll dudes in leather browsing thru the store didn't think too much of it. I seen this dude looked real familiar. He looked at me and smiled ans said something like, " damn man you ain't gonna beat me up are ya?"

I seen his old ball cap and faded blue shirt and it hit me. He took photos with the staff and talked to me for a couple of minutes but I didn't want to bug him too much. He was on his own way back to California.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPEu2fhNONM

Ok....so, with all the icons and ongoing discussion of Dave Grohl....I starting thinking about the ones who have achieved superstar status more than once.....the true greats that were great no matter who they played with...so to speak......a zillion have gone solo and done well....but how many have done it with multiple successful bands.....here goes....

1) Randy Bachman......Guess Who - Bachmann Turner Overdrive - solo

2) Eric Clapton.............Yardbirds - Cream - Blind Faith - Derrick and the Dominos - Solo

3) Paul McCartney.......Beatles - Wings - Solo

4) Joe Walsh................James Gang - Barnstorm - Eagles - Solo

5) Ronnie Dio...............Dio - Rainbow - Black Sabbath

All of Crosby (Byrds), Stills(Buffalo Springfield), Nash(Hollies), and Young(Buffalo Springfield)

I would argue that the reason any of those guys (except Paul) are icons is directly a result of their body of work. Had Eric Clapton only ever been in The Yardbirds he would most certainly not be an icon. Randy Bachman was probably never an icon either in Guess Who or BTO.

But I am nitpicking, carry on.

WSS

• 3 weeks later...

Archived