THE BROWNS BOARD

US student, 21, sentenced to 15-years hard labor in a North Korea

OldBrownsFan

I have some sympathy for this young man but how can people be so stupid and put themselves in this position? Why would any American citizen risk going to North Korea? It seems to me we need a travel ban that American citizens are not permitted to go to North Korea. I have sympathy for him (for being young and stupid) but as he tries to save his own skin I'm not buying his argument against our own government as he was not manipulated into anything but foolishly did what he did all by himself:

In video from the press conference, Warmbier could be seen bowing his head as he asked for forgiveness.

He said: 'I never, never should have allowed myself to be lured by the United States administration to commit a crime in this country.'

'I wish that the United States administration never manipulate people like myself in the future to commit crimes against foreign countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3494513/American-student-detained-North-Korea-sentenced-15-years-hard-labor-trying-steal-political-banner.html?ito=video_player_click

Like so many young people, they live in a utopia compared to many

countries around the world. We are the only one with a Constitution

like we have.

It's a bit like growing up in the city, and then going on vacation

in Alaska, and walking up into the woods and getting bit

by a diamondback, or walking barefoot in Texas and getting

bit by red ants or worse.

Really stupid move to go there - did he really think everywhere is safe?

This keeps happening and we should have a travel ban. North Korea just uses these people as bargaining chips to try and get concessions from the United States. These American citizens (nuts) still go over to North Korea as tourists even though there has been many stories of American citizens being detained there before on trumped up charges. Now their stupidity falls on our government to try and get them out which usually means trying to placate N. Korea.

I understand the appeal of going to North Korea - being such a mysterious country and all that. Though for tourists they don't let you see the "real" DPRK - going to one of those prison camps he'll get to experience it.

Wouldn't go there myself, but I understand the appeal. It's all political moves for them when they detain foreigners - they see it as extra leverage against the US.

I understand the appeal of going to North Korea - being such a mysterious country and all that. Though for tourists they don't let you see the "real" DPRK - going to one of those prison camps he'll get to experience it.

Wouldn't go there myself, but I understand the appeal. It's all political moves for them when they detain foreigners - they see it as extra leverage against the US.

I agree with that BB.

It's just that if I go someplace like that I should be smart enough to behave with the utmost deference and respect.

WSS

He'll get out within a year - usually the foreigners they take do.

Still sucks to be him - 21 y/o college student stuck in North Korea because of a drunken mistake.

Idk that I'd want to get drunk in North Korea tbh, I'd want to be in my mind all the time because of dumb stuff like that.

Archived