THE BROWNS BOARD

What's Wrong With This Picture

What stopped you from going along?

(By the way...they don't celebrate it there the way we do here.....there they spend half the day in church. Did your daughter go to church today?) To the Irish, it is 365 days a year St. Patrick's day. That is the one day a lot of them take off from drinking and carousing.

No, I had laryngitis that settled in the very day of the parade which was last Sunday. I did not perform but have been resting my voice and should be able to get through today's performance in Akron where I always play on the actual date

WSS

I may see you there.

Did you see the song I posted on the Browns forum....Bugger Off. Is that part of your repertoire? (If not, it should be).

What stopped you from going along?

(By the way...they don't celebrate it there the way we do here.....there they spend half the day in church. Did your daughter go to church today?) To the Irish, it is 365 days a year St. Patrick's day. That is the one day a lot of them take off from drinking and carousing.

I've heard it is much more exuberant here than in the Mother Country.

Kind of like "Amateur Night" around here in many ways. I know somebody who lives in New Orleans and stays away from the central area on and the two weeks around Fat Tuesday.

In any event, it is pretty cool to be there on this day.

Just as a comparison, a Polish American friend always complains about St. Patrick's Day and wonders why nobody celebrates it. A few years ago, we went to the Polish Club in Hartford, only to find that it is closed on every Thursday, as an example. No celebrations at the Polish clubs.

You'd be hard pressed to find an Irish Club closed on St. Patrick's Day regardless on the day.

FWIW, Legislator's in Boston passed, "Bunker Hill Day" as a State Holiday. Every year, it coincides with St. Patrick's Day. Only the Legislature is off today.

We could celebrate St. Andrew's Day..... On November 30th and drink some scotch. Patron Saint of Scotland

Our Lady of Guadelupe...December 9th and drink some tequila. Patron Saint of Mexico

St. Basil's Day....January 1st and drink some Vodka. Patron Saint of Russia

St. George's Day...April 23d and drink some piss warm beer. (or substitute) Patron Saint of England

St. Denis Day...October 9th and drink some cognac or French Wine. (and drink a toast to John Lennon)

St. Anne's day...July 26th and drink some Molsens or LaBatts. Patron St. of Canada

We could go on..

In fact, each denizen of this board could have their own day. Look at this one: St Horta

Tomorrow March 18.

http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Saints/saint.aspx?id=1328&calendar=1

Archived