THE BROWNS BOARD

A Growing Suspicion...

Tour2ma

If we do not end up taking one of the two top QBs in this draft, then I think the reason is named Chad Kelly. Just have a feeling he is in the evaluation mix with this class... and I think he compares well.

He is a running QB, which I hate, but looks really at home in the pocket. While he tends to take off under pressure, depending on the escape route he will look to throw on the run.

Arm may be a notch behind either Goff or Wentz, but Kelly has the guts of a burglar... he consistently throws into tighter windows than either 2016 prospect. Yet because many of the throws are on fades and back-shoulders, when only his WR knows they are coming, he still manages to take care of the ball.

Kelly gives up a couple inches... but other than Goff's pocket mastery, if you take the best of Goff and Wentz and mix it together, what you would come up with would look a lot like Kelly.

Add in the fact that we look to be headed for the #1 overall in 2017....

The following is a highlight video, so take it with a grain of salt, but there's a real prospect here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brc8kIZXjvs

He's been a serious jerk in hs and college.

been there, done that. Take Wentz. Character matters.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/19/chad-kelly-rises-from-the-depths-to-college-footballs-pinnacle/

Character works both ways .......one end of the spectrum is Johnny Football.....other end is Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy .... but they all sucked

Character works both ways .......one end of the spectrum is Johnny Football.....other end is Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy .... but they all sucked. Darren

and yet, Andrew Luck is of outstanding character, and an excellent qb. You don't really

have any kind of point. Nobody said character was the only criteria. But it IS an important

criteria.

Plan and simple all the qbs suck in the draft they all have to be developed and set for atleast one or two years fix the rest of the team and a qb will come and we will be able to protect him let McCown and Davis take the beating for now

If we go D then they will screw this up by winning too many games by supporting McCown's game management. Then we have no QB of the future unless we take Dak in a later round.

That is why teams will always take the QB. The danger is that you take that defensive player and win just enough with a journeyman QB that you will never be in position to win many games or lose enough to get a franchise QB.

Browns fans have historically had no problem embracing flamboyant players. Alzado, Golic, Dixon, Minnifield and Matthews come to mind. The caveat here is that these guys loved their team and fans first, and they really played their asses off.

Hoorta has always been one to chastise the loud mouth player, regardless of his skill level. Larry, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have always felt that the obnoxious narcissist is too much of a distraction and a headache that seldom pans out.

As far as QBs go, I can't think of any cocky, self-absorbed QB that ever guided his team to greatness.

A colorful QB would be okay with me, but this Ole Miss kid, to me, is a jackoff.

Yeah, there's a difference between being cocky, and a flaming jerk off the field. So yes, I do have problems with most of those sorts of players. Now, should we draft Goff or Wentz, we're not going to have that problem. Both seem to be well grounded, humble guys. BTW, if the Browns are following their analytics- that says you MUST draft your QB, if you don't have one, the only exception being if there's a once in a generational player at another position. Bosa is not, sorry. One of the mocks had us taking Jalen Ramsey DB. We take a guy like that, he had better be the second coming of Ronnie Lott.

PS as you probably well know I was totally against Johnny Football. He's the poster boy for what I find disagreeable.

Looks like Johnny Football to me.

Some on-field similarities are undeniable, too eager to bail and run, etc., but the difference I see is that when Kelly throws his game shows "structure".

Off-field... just seems like Kelly has already been to the bottom, saw where he was and has clawed his way back. Anything close to the truth of my take clearly sets him apart from the Little Billy Lost Boy...

Interesting kid, physical qb skills. Some team will draft him somewhere, and they will

be able to take the chance on the kid. JM probably will give some teams a second worry.

Good for him if he got his act together and is ready to be a solid guy in the NFL.

But the Browns won't take that chance, guaranteed. Unless they bring Ray Farmer the knucklehead back......

Possibly not... even probably not... but if we don't take Goff or Wentz, the odds go up. Tour

Not as a Browns pick, at least not significantly. Hackenburg really impressed one AFC North gm...

wasn't all that impressed with Hackenburg, but really was after his pro day.

Hackenburg helped himself immensely, and isn't any kind of character risk.

1. Hackenberg steps up at Pro Day -...
    pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Hackenberg...Pro-Day-44322280

Former Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg capped his workout to applause from those on hand at Holuba Hall on Thursday afternoon. The three-year starter ...

2. Hackenberg helps himself with pro day workout |...
    lancasteronline.com/sports/football/pennstate/hackenberg...

STATE COLLEGE - Christian Hackenberg made his case in the form of 52 throws at Penn State’s Pro Day Thursday. Some were shaky, like a quick out that sailed three ...

Not true, from what I've been reading all this time.

http://saturdayblitz.com/2016/01/02/penn-state-qb-christian-hackenberg-wisely-declares-for-nfl-draft/

Hackenberg is a high character guy who means so much to the Penn State after remaining committed to the program in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal and the subsequent NCAA sanctions, but his time with Franklin dampened his career arc with the Nittany Lions.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079275/christian-hackenberg

Quick-footed athlete for his size to easily move in the pocket or stretch his legs and throw from different platforms. Clean footwork in his three-, five- and seven-step drops. Experienced taking snaps under center with pro-style concepts. Two-year team captain (second youngest player to be elected captain in school history) and viewed as a leader in the locker room.

Well-respected on campus, especially for the way he handled adversity with the sanctions (helped keep the 2013 recruiting class together) and the struggles with the coaching change. Durable and didn't miss a start the last three seasons (21-17 record as a starter).

Possibly not... even probably not... but if we don't take Goff or Wentz, the odds go up. Tour

Not as a Browns pick, at least not significantly. Hackenburg really impressed one AFC North gm...

wasn't all that impressed with Hackenburg, but really was after his pro day.

Hackenburg helped himself immensely, and isn't any kind of character risk.

1. Hackenberg steps up at Pro Day -...
    pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Hackenberg...Pro-Day-44322280

Former Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg capped his workout to applause from those on hand at Holuba Hall on Thursday afternoon. The three-year starter ...

2. Hackenberg helps himself with pro day workout |...
    lancasteronline.com/sports/football/pennstate/hackenberg...

STATE COLLEGE - Christian Hackenberg made his case in the form of 52 throws at Penn State’s Pro Day Thursday. Some were shaky, like a quick out that sailed three ...

How? I now speak Indian. Thank you Cal.

Throwing against air with no chance of getting sacked or hurried makes it way easier to be decisive/on-time than Hackenberg's film shows people. Isn't that part of why coaches comment on how good he looks in pre-game warm-ups? It's amazing what shakes out when you put the defense between him and his receivers.

He's been a serious jerk in hs and college.

been there, done that. Take Wentz. Character matters.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/19/chad-kelly-rises-from-the-depths-to-college-footballs-pinnacle/

When his Uncle Jim first showed up to Western, NY and hit the college bars with teammates - he wasn't exactly a great kid either. My step mom was the VP of Nursing at a hospital that treated Kelly's girlfriend at the time (now his wife) for facial and body cuts and bruises (more than once) at the emergency room that had domestic violence written all over it after hours on the weekends when alcohol use was heavy. That was right around the time Buffalo was known as the Bickering Bills prior to their period where they won 4 Consecutive AFC Championships. I would have said this was kept pretty quiet (especially outside of Buffalo) about Jim; but my buddy who bounced at a popular night club in Buffalo said Kelly wasn't well liked and often seen screaming at his girlfriend and pushing/pulling her around.

Kids CAN grow up and learn from their mistakes and immaturity. Kelly ended up being really generous to community charities and the episodes of anger seemed to disappear. That prolly meant this Irish kid and his girlfriend/wife had to stop the alcohol in order to stop their on-going War of the Roses. One way to do that is to become a workaholic to the extent you can orchestrate your own no huddle offense calling your own plays as the QB, which happened. You can't do that without putting the time into film study and all the stuff on the field to extent QB and teammates are all on the same page.

How many of us did stupid things when we were between the ages of 18 and 22 especially when alcohol was in the picture? Where would we be if every future employer said "Nope, you were a knucklehead in high school/college so the best we can give you here is Broom Closet Coordinator?"

If we do not end up taking one of the two top QBs in this draft, then I think the reason is named Chad Kelly. Just have a feeling he is in the evaluation mix with this class... and I think he compares well.

He is a running QB, which I hate, but looks really at home in the pocket. While he tends to take off under pressure, depending on the escape route he will look to throw on the run.

Arm may be a notch behind either Goff or Wentz, but Kelly has the guts of a burglar... he consistently throws into tighter windows than either 2016 prospect. Yet because many of the throws are on fades and back-shoulders, when only his WR knows they are coming, he still manages to take care of the ball.

Kelly gives up a couple inches... but other than Goff's pocket mastery, if you take the best of Goff and Wentz and mix it together, what you would come up with would look a lot like Kelly.

Add in the fact that we look to be headed for the #1 overall in 2017....

Despite the tough crowd greeting to your thinking outside the box - I don't think this would be such a bad idea especially if our plan is to go defense first. I thought you made a lot of good points to back your idea. Once upon a time when RG3 was Mr Gotta-have at #2 overall in the mock draft consensii - Kirk Cousins came later in the same draft right? Who was Washington more sorry about drafting? We have 11 picks where a significant portion of our fans wouldn't mind drafting defense first so this idea enables us to do that while Washington reminds us we don't have to draft just 1 QB right? In fact, what are the chances a front office group drafting together for their very first time nails all 11 picks?

The only similarity to Manziel I somewhat care about is Kelly beating Alabama during their National Championship season when nobody else could. That says something about what he and his leadership can accomplish in terms of elevating the play around him. If you want to be the best - you gotta beat the best?

When it comes time to project what carries over to the next level and what doesn't - I like to look at stats so I can weed out the Spergon Wynns ahead of time. Here's Chad Kelly's stats in 2015:

Passing: 298 comp 458 att 65.1 comp% 4042 yards 8.8 ypc 31 TD 13 INT

Rushing: 107 att 500 yards 4.7 avg 10 TD

Kelly had 2 first round talents helping him in 2015, LT Tunsil and WR Treadwell.

Treadwell, coming off a brutal injury during his 9th game in 2104, enjoyed the best season of his college football career by a lot in 2015 with 82 receptions 1153 yards 14.1 ypc 11 TD. I'd like to think some of that is a reflection of a more reliable QB than he had previously.

Archived