THE BROWNS BOARD

A Growing Suspicion...

Tour2ma

Thanks, Flugs.... interesting anecdotes on Uncle Jim from the Flugle network...

Off-field the difference I see in Chad and Johnny is in a word: denial. Johnny is clearly still in it; Chad seems to have shed his.

why are we even talking other QBs? there are only 2 that the browns should even consider this year and they'd have to use their 2nd pick on him.

any other option for QB i'd say no. not until next year and people are already talking chad freekin kelly?

LMFAO!

why are we even talking other QBs? there are only 2 that the browns should even consider this year and they'd have to use their 2nd pick on him.

any other option for QB i'd say no. not until next year and people are already talking chad freekin kelly?

LMFAO!

Mik,

I really have no idea what will happen next as this new approach is different & unpredictable, but I'm with you. Take the best QB (Goff or Wentz), OR the one left, at #2. For once, I would like us to stay with our original spot & use it well. We ARE after all in a good spot this year.

Next year?...When will we pick, who will be available, what will our needs be?

What the hell do I know?..... photo-thumb-413.jpg?_r=1451713240

Mike

LMFAO!

This is because the rosters a mess, and unlike other years where we generally have some semblance of optimism regarding the upcoming season, we can all generally agree this season will end with us picking top 5 yet again. If we dont draft a QB at 2, the chances go up that we will pick a QB first next year. Go Browns....

LMFAO!

I think the flirtation with Kaep has some questioning how highly the FO regards the top two QB's this year and as such will start pondering about what's available next year considering most assume we will be picking high next year again.

That's a lot of assumptions but I can see how the dots were connected.

hue jackson's wanting to draft kaep while in oakland has everything to do with that, but that's where it ends. if jackson wanted him that bad it'd be done already (unless there is something planned for draft day).

you got the number 2 pick, with 2 so-called franchise QBs sitting there, use it to pick the most important position on a football team.

the sooner he's in, the sooner he learns.

thought it'd work the other way around but it hasn't so............

It's not a prescriptive thread, mik. It's a hypotheical.

Some people's hypothetcals are other people's nightmares.

They don't have to be Mik.

The fact that we're reading names like Kaepernick and RG's3-30 means the FO isn't looking for an immediate starter at QB from the college draft as well as knowing how much the Cowboys like Wentz enough to trade up to #1. It also means they're not catering to popular opinion at all. Actions speak louder than words and the only reason Kaepernick isn't a Cleveland Brown right now is the decimated roster. Makes sense when you think about it considering when SF started losing offensive starters to FA and injury as well as aging receivers losing a step or 2 (Boldin in 2015 and Davis in 2014) - Kaep stopped playing like a starter.

Now the same RG3 that said he didn't want to be drafted by Cleveland suddenly needs Cleveland. And it's being reported he's in Cleveland for 2 days with our decision makers. If that doesn't tell you to be prepared for the unpreparable, nothing will.

If anyone remembers 2015 at all - was the QB position the difference between winning and losing or was it the pathetic defense we got sentenced to? Every time I watched Denver play, their defense had to save their QB's ass. That makes for a nice margin of error for the QB. Look at the career of Manning with all those MVP seasons without a SB win. 1 of the 2 times he did win it, his season looked a lot more like Trent Dilfer's SB season than an MVP QB. All that being the case, is it possible our new way of thinking at the top will go defense first?

I'm not going to pretend I know the first thing about how analytics will get applied to football but it doesn't sound at all like a follow the crowd criteria or reasoning. Right now our roster is decimated enough to the extent BPA matches glaring need virtually anywhere. The other possibility is our front office will do deep enough research to know what QB they feel best about taking especially if Jerry Jones trades up to get their first choice of QB. It's totally possible they're not as enamored with the next QB as they might be with addressing a defense ranking with anchors. So here we are talking alternatives.

I am trying not to read into any of the Browns moves at this time. I think that they are going to go BPA through the draft this year even if it does not make sense to us when they do. Or they could surprise me and just do the same things we always do. :huh:

The good news Joe - is right now pretty much any choice can have BPA matching glaring need.

I'm just a fan so at this time - I think my fave is Wentz with Goff being 1B (and some days they flip flop).

That said, it's kind of fun to consider what we would do if we did indeed draft defense first. Some of this could all be pre-draft poker to posture Jerry Jones from feeling like he needs to trade up for Wentz/Goff and then we pick the QB everybody feels is inevitable.

It's also worth reminding people that we're seeing the names Kaep and RG3 all of a sudden while McCown is here under contract. In a world where actions speak louder than words, there's been some real effort to sign one of these 2 vets which doesn't coincide with popular opinion at all today. All this could definitely point to a QB they don't feel they have to race into a starting job which changes their urgency to join the crowd feeling our only solution are the 2 mock draft darlings at the top today.

One thing I WILL do here is trust the direction Hue, Sashi and the 2 Harvards go via the research they put behind it - compatible with their philosophy. That's why I enjoy participating in discussions that remind us how many different directions are open to us from Defense first to trade back for more help to going with popular opinion.

How many of the current QBs frequenting Superbowls were the first or second QB taken in their draft classes?

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

How many of the current QBs frequenting Superbowls were the first or second QB taken in their draft classes?

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Interesting question.....lets look at it. Since 2000, the following is the draft order of every Super Bowl starting QB (each player listed only once):

#1 Peyton Manning

#1 Cam Newton

#1 Eli Manning

#2 Donovan McNabb

#5 Kerry Collins

#6 Trent Dilfer

#11 Ben Roethlisberger

#18 Joe Flacco

#22 Rex Grossman

#24 Aaron Rodgers

#32 Drew Brees

#36 Colin Kaepernik

#75 Russell Wilson

#98 Rich Gannon

#187 Matt Hasselback

#199 Tom Brady

#227 Brad Johnson

UFA Kurt Warner

UFA Jake Delhomme

19 SB starters: 10 drafted in the first round (one other was #32...which would be first round today)

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Interesting question.....lets look at it. Since 2000, the following is the draft order of every Super Bowl starting QB (each player listed only once):

But, to answer your question....here is where each of these SB QBs were picked...in terms of all QBs picked in their drafts

#1 Peyton Manning #1

#1 Cam Newton #1

#1 Eli Manning #1

#2 Donovan McNabb #2

#5 Kerry Collins #2

#6 Trent Dilfer #2

#11 Ben Roethlisberger #3

#18 Joe Flacco #2

#22 Rex Grossman #4

#24 Aaron Rodgers #2

#32 Drew Brees #2

#36 Colin Kaepernik #6

#75 Russell Wilson #6

#98 Rich Gannon #7

#187 Matt Hasselback #7

#199 Tom Brady #7

#227 Brad Johnson #13

UFA Kurt Warner NA

UFA Jake Delhomme NA

19 SB starters: 10 drafted in the first round (one other was #32...which would be first round today)

Archived