THE BROWNS BOARD

To Coach QB Combinations in history

The Gipper

Outstanding teams and dynasties often involved the symbiotic relationship between a coach and a QB.

Here are what I think are some of the greatest coach/QB dynamic relationships in history.

Please advise of any others that you think make the grade....and which may be the future dynamic duos in the NFL:

George Halas and Sid Luckman. Produced 4 NFL titles.

Paul Brown and Otto Graham. Produced title game appearances in 11 of 12 years, with 7 titles.

Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr. 6 title games, 5 titles in a decade.

Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw. Some say they had a strained relationship. It was good enough for 4 titles in 6 years.

John Madden and Ken Stabler.

Tom Landry and Roger Staubach. 4 Super Bowl appearances. 2 wins.

Bill Walsh and Joe Montana. 3 Championships. Could have been more if Walsh hadn't retired. Joe got another with Seifert.

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly. No titles...but you can't really argue with 4 straight SB appearances.

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Six SB appearances, 4 titles.

Anyone else? How about the near future? (Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson?)

Browns have had two Coach/QBs tandems that coached together 4 or more years and never missed the postseason:

Brown/Graham (Obviously the greatest combo of all time)

and Marty/Bernie.

Plus Collier/Ryan never had a losing season either, in 5 years together.

Zombo

Other coach/QB combos that together won at least two titles:

Don Shula and Bob Griese

Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning

Mike Shanahan and John Elway

Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman

Tom Flores and Jim Plunkett

Weeb Ewband and Johnny Unitas

Lou Saban and Jack Kemp..AFL

Hank Stram and Len Dawson AFL and Super Bowl.

Lou Rymkus and George Blanda...AFL

Buddy Parker and Bobby Layne

Greasy Neale and Tommy Thompson

Ray Flaherty and Sammy Baugh

Curly Lambeau and Arnie Herber

Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson came thisclose to also winning two together.

Still the dumbest play call in NFL history.

And without it, Belichick and Brady haven't won a title in 12 years.

Which is why Brown/Graham is clearly the tops.

Zombo

Arians has done well with whatever qb has had to work with as an OC. He's been in Az for three seasons and has turned Palmer into a good qb.

I'm saying this is coach and qb but however the OC has a lot more work with the qb than any other coach on a staff.

Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson came thisclose to also winning two together.

Still the dumbest play call in NFL history.

What about Butch Davis calling for a double reverse with Northcutt, on 1st and goal from the 2 yard line? (vs Pitt years ago)

Or Metcalf up the middle on 3rd & 18 in the Georgia Dome during a 2 minute drill with no timeouts?

Hell with Pete Carroll, tired of hearing about that call.

What about Butch Davis calling for a double reverse with Northcutt, on 1st and goal from the 2 yard line? (vs Pitt years ago)

Or Metcalf up the middle on 3rd & 18 in the Georgia Dome during a 2 minute drill with no timeouts?

The gravity of the situation was what made that call the dumbest in history

The gravity of the situation was what made that call the dumbest in history

Agree, but I only care about the Browns.

If I were a Seahawks fan, I know my take would be different. As much as I hate the USC Trojans, Pete Carroll truly is a scumbag for bailing on that program in tough times. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Happy Easter everybody.

Agree, but I only care about the Browns.

If I were a Seahawks fan, I know my take would be different. As much as I hate the USC Trojans, Pete Carroll truly is a scumbag for bailing on that program in tough times. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Happy Easter everybody.

LOL. So the greatest catches, or greatest plays, or the greatest comebacks, or the greatest games player played are also irrelevant to you because you only care about the browns?

That play call by Carroll was one of the worst in NFL history period. You only caring about the browns is irrelevant.

LOL. So the greatest catches, or greatest plays, or the greatest comebacks, or the greatest games player played are also irrelevant to you because you only care about the browns?

That play call by Carroll was one of the worst in NFL history period. You only caring about the browns is irrelevant.

I didn't say they are/were irrelevant. I'm a football fan so history is important.

That particular call wouldn't even be in the discussion if it worked (like many other play calls over the years). When they don't work, yes, there's tons of scrutiny.

My venting is about the guy who called it.

Well, its a matter of time and place. Super Bowl on the line. Give it to Lynch...no brainer, win your second consecutive SB. But no.

Sure....other plays have been the brain farts of coaches. But none in such an important situation.

OK....what we can do is to list the dumbest plays in Browns history. Those can go on that list.

BTW, Steeler fan....what would you consider the dumbest calls in Steeler history?

Archived