THE BROWNS BOARD

Border Wall

MLD Woody

Just my 2 cents, I think you're reading too much into John Oliver. The simple fact is that he's a comedian first and his show is a comedy show. It's no different than John Stewart or Colbert were. He's playing to what people want to hear and people take it at face value. Most level-headed people realize he's strictly showing one side and is pandering for comedy and views.

Honestly, what he's doing is nearly identical to what Trump is doing just on the other side of the spectrum.

sounds about right. Except Trump might run the country

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a combination of the anti establishment thing, the fact he's the most moderate of the Reps (and a general election Trump may shed some conservative baggage) and the lack of a good Dem candidate

That's fair. I agree with a lot of that. I guess I just put more stock in his assholishness.

We'll have to see what the option are in November

I just have a hard time caring about this guy being an asshole when we've had plenty of presidents who have done things that are far more morally reprehensible than building a wall or suggesting we don't let Muslims into our country.

Just my 2 cents, I think you're reading too much into John Oliver. The simple fact is that he's a comedian first and his show is a comedy show. It's no different than John Stewart or Colbert were. He's playing to what people want to hear and people take it at face value. Most level-headed people realize he's strictly showing one side and is pandering for comedy and views.

Honestly, what he's doing is nearly identical to what Trump is doing just on the other side of the spectrum.

I think a better comparison for Oliver would be Glenn Beck on the right. My issue with the majority of their listeners is that they listen to this single side of the story and assume they're completely informed on the subject.

I think a better comparison for Oliver would be Glenn Beck on the right. My issue with the majority of their listeners is that they listen to this single side of the story and assume they're completely informed on the subject.

I mean, John Oliver does a bunch of skits like this too: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/watch-john-oliver-solve-conspiracy-of-cadbury-creme-eggs-20160328. Half of his show is usually just funny sketches around current events or stuff like this. Unless I'm sorely missing something Glenn Beck doesn't do live stand-up or make jokes about stuff like that. John Oliver is a comedian.

For the bolded part, that's what the vast majority of people do in any scenario around politics and especially Trump. You can't just make that statement and not realize that occurs in every similar type of situation.

I mean, John Oliver does a bunch of skits like this too: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/watch-john-oliver-solve-conspiracy-of-cadbury-creme-eggs-20160328. Half of his show is usually just funny sketches around current events or stuff like this. Unless I'm sorely missing something Glenn Beck doesn't do live stand-up or make jokes about stuff like that. John Oliver is a comedian.

For the bolded part, that's what the vast majority of people do in any scenario around politics and especially Trump. You can't just make that statement and not realize that occurs in every similar type of situation.

I can absolutely make that statement when it's 90% of what I see on facebook. They're being louder right now, so they're who I'm directing most of my criticism toward. I can't stand when the uninformed shout their opinions as fact, regardless of what side they're on.

Need a killer laser on the top of the wall. That would do it.

Just zap the slugs into nothing. Or, a stun laser that zaps them back fifty yards.

Don't want broken bones? don't want to get fatally zapped? stay the hell out of our country.

Gotta think out of the box...er....wall.

just when I feel I have some common ground with people like you, ie securing the border.....you post something like this and call for giant slug zapping space lasers. Look there's definitely a contigent of immigrants that come across that border that are coming here to do no good, but it's been demonstrably proven that the majority are seeking a better life and will do the work that a lot of americans don't want to do anymore. Now that fact doesn't make me say "sure let em all in"...but on the flip side I won't dehumanize them and call them slugs. A lot of them are coming from central America which the U.S has no small part in the past decades for what kind of a shithole it's become. Doesn't mean we can let em in but can we talk about them like decent human beings? Is that asking too much?

I'm all for keeping them out but for the love of fucking god can we drop this Trump fueled BS that they're all murderers and rapists? It's horseshit. THey still need to come here legally but just be human for once in your lives.

I can absolutely make that statement when it's 90% of what I see on facebook. They're being louder right now, so they're who I'm directing most of my criticism toward. I can't stand when the uninformed shout their opinions as fact, regardless of what side they're on.

And that's fine, as long as you direct the equal amount of criticism towards the other side of the table who literally do the same thing.

The wall is working for countries like hungary, israel.

Something like barbed wire could circumvent the rope problem - and some of these walls have tunnel detection nowadays. Of course it'd have to be combined with increased border patrol presence also.

The other thing people worry about - disturbing natural animal habitats, I'm not sure what you could really do about that.

it would have to be a militarized zone. Look i'm all for it, but don't tell us it'll cost this when it "clearly" will cost almost triple that and there's no way his stupid claim that Mexico is going to pay for it will fly in the slightest. The Mexican govt doesn't have the money for that stupid shit. And frankly not sure a wall is even the best call. It looks better, and it'll have his name on it....as he's stated it will.....how does that not worry you Edward? The guy is on another planet.

it would have to be a militarized zone. Look i'm all for it, but don't tell us it'll cost this when it "clearly" will cost almost triple that and there's no way his stupid claim that Mexico is going to pay for it will fly in the slightest. The Mexican govt doesn't have the money for that stupid shit. And frankly not sure a wall is even the best call. It looks better, and it'll have his name on it....as he's stated it will.....how does that not worry you Edward? The guy is on another planet.

We send the Mexican government lots of aid, illegal workers send remittances back home. It'll get taken care of eventually.

I'm not sure what you mean otherwise - walls work for everybody. Saudi Arabia, Israel, Hungary. He's a showman and salesman - he makes everything sound huge and big and wonderful, it's clear persuasion techniques that's all there is to it. Making people imagine something big, grand, marvelous, beautiful is a pretty effective strategy to sell people on the idea.

The wall will work and it doesn't cost a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. It'll cost like < 1% of what we spent on the F35.

Stuart

Right, the people being the majority of democrat voters who regard this as "news". Level-headed people don't watch this crap or just watch it out of curiosity.

What he does has no resemblance to what Trump does. Because you laugh at Trump doesn't mean he's trying to make you laugh.

I think a giant moat would be harder to cross than a wall. If the side leading to the U.S is just a slick wall of mud that would be hard to get up. And i'm assuming it would cost a shit ton less to dig a giant deep moat.

Stuart

Yeah because they don't have rowboats in Mexico, and building a makeshift raft is too complicated for dumb Mexicans. Brilliant idea Cleve.

Stuart

Right, the people being the majority of democrat voters who regard this as "news". Level-headed people don't watch this crap or just watch it out of curiosity.

What he does has no resemblance to what Trump does. Because you laugh at Trump doesn't mean he's trying to make you laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XuPXGMpLA

When right wing news is being put against a comedy show, I think that shows more of a problem with the left.

I'd also wager to bet, that while not completely unbiased, Oliver's show is less biased than Beck

They're both biased - but Beck is a total nutcase who thinks he's speaking on behalf of Jesus, so I'd probably agree with you.

I don't care about Oliver being biased, but he's not funny (which is why he failed as a comedian in the UK) - that's the only reason I don't care to ever watch his show.

They're both biased - but Beck is a total nutcase who thinks he's speaking on behalf of Jesus, so I'd probably agree with you.

I don't care about Oliver being biased, but he's not funny (which is why he failed as a comedian in the UK) - that's the only reason I don't care to ever watch his show.

I think he's funny (or at the very least, the writers)

Right, if you don't find his comedy funny I can completely respect that and won't argue on something subjective. But it's a simple understanding that he is a comedian first who is objectively making others laugh albeit with a touchy subject. Heck, I still laugh at some of his stuff but he's starting to get painfully repetitive in his routine, but if it ain't broke don't fix it I suppose.

I think he's great. And I fully understand his stuff is written to appeal to his target audience. As a matter of fact every broadcast concerning current event is based on the viewers. It's not to convince them of one thing or another but to validate their pre-existing opinions.

WSS

When right wing news is being put against a comedy show, I think that shows more of a problem with the left

I'd also wager to bet, that while not completely unbiased, Oliver's show is less biased than Beck

I think it's a little disingenuous to say it's only a comedy show. Would you say the Watters World segments on the O'Reilly factor aren't news because they have a comedic spin?

I think it's a little disingenuous to say it's only a comedy show. Would you say the Watters World segments on the O'Reilly factor aren't news because they have a comedic spin?

It is primarily a comedy show that pokes fun at recent events / news. To do so, it presents the story, with facts, but in a way and with opinions not everyone might agree with.

To me John Oliver is making fun of the news and the people making the news, while Glenn Beck is not. He thinks he KNOWS what's best for people.

but it's time to DUMP TRUMP. I don't believe he will build a wall. He'll just make a "deal" to

not build it. I don't want to roll the dice on him - you don't know what you'll get. Yes, he says

some solid stuff for effect. But his actions betray him as much as Manziel's did.

Okay, I have to say it. You all realize more Mexicans are leaving the United State than coming in right?

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

I'm about 99.8% sure that will go over people's head though, and rather just a roar of "they took err jobs!"

I 100% disagree with that. Every single video you've posted is injected with the politics of current events.

I mean, it's a comedy show about current events I don't think they are trying to hide that.. I also clearly showed a video that was just a silly thing, which is a good 30-50% of his show every week. That's just not accurate, again John Oliver is a comedian first.

Archived