THE BROWNS BOARD

Border Wall

MLD Woody

I mean, it's a comedy show about current events I don't think they are trying to hide that.. I also clearly showed a video that was just a silly thing, which is a good 30-50% of his show every week. That's just not accurate, again John Oliver is a comedian first.

If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.

He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.

I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.

He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.

I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.

I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.

I don't consider Stewert or Colbert news persons.

They make fun of the news.

Sure there are facts in what they do, but it is more about the jokes then it is about the story IMO

Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that

glue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret

trying to invade our country.

Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that

blue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret

trying to invade our country.

I like the laser idea better

I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.

I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).

I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).

C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

:D

WSS

Here's another deal for you. How about you pull your head out of your ass and admit that one can be both a comedian AND a news personality? Did you see Stewart's interview with the Mad Money guy. He absolutely thrashed him. That certainly wasn't Jon being a comedian.

C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

:D

WSS

I laugh every time I read or here the name Wolf Blitzer

He should be hosting a comedy hour

Here's another deal for you. How about you pull your head out of your ass and admit that one can be both a comedian AND a news personality? Did you see Stewart's interview with the Mad Money guy. He absolutely thrashed him. That certainly wasn't Jon being a comedian.

I literally saw John Oliver preform a stand-up routine last year. No, I'm not going to admit a touring comedian who calls himself a comedian and hosts a comedy show is a news personality just because he talks about current events.

I literally saw John Oliver preform a stand-up routine last year. No, I'm not going to admit a touring comedian who calls himself a comedian and hosts a comedy show is a news personality just because he talks about current events.

lol

"IT'S NOT A NEWS SHOW! ONLY 30%-50% OF IT IS COMEDY NOT ABOUT CURRENT EVENTS!"

O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows

If you're gonna argue that, then where do you draw the line? Rachel Maddow has pretty liberal opinions. Is she a news personality or an opinion personality. In this day and age, the margins that separate a news personality from everything else are pretty blurry.

O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows

I don't disagree with you on that.

lol

"IT'S NOT A NEWS SHOW! ONLY 30%-50% OF IT IS COMEDY NOT ABOUT CURRENT EVENTS!"

That's never what I said, and putting it in all caps doesn't change that. I've said 30-50% of his show has nothing to do with current events, and the other half is comedy is about said events. That still makes him a comedian-his official website is John Oliver l The comedian. I get you don't like the guy and if you don't find his humor funny I've never had issues with that, but he's a comedian. The day Scott Pelley creates a fake church and receives giant penis staues in the mail as part of his gag I'll shut the hell right up.

I don't disagree with you on that.

That's never what I said, and putting it in all caps doesn't change that. I've said 30-50% of his show has nothing to do with current events, and the other half is comedy is about said events. That still makes him a comedian-his official website is John Oliver l The comedian. I get you don't like the guy and if you don't find his humor funny I've never had issues with that, but he's a comedian. The day Scott Pelley creates a fake church and receives giant penis staues in the mail as part of his gag I'll shut the hell right up.

I have never argued that he wasn't a comedian.

Here's an image that should help you. This is called a Venn diagram. The left circle represents comedians. The right circle represents news personalities. Where they overlap is where you'll find the likes of Oliver, Stewart, Colbert.

hiv4o.gif

I have never argued that he wasn't a comedian.

Here's an image that should help you. This is called a Venn diagram. The left circle represents comedians. The right circle represents news personalities. Where they overlap is where you'll find the likes of Oliver, Stewart, Colbert.

hiv4o.gif

You can say the same shit 1000 times and it doesn't change the facts. He's called a comedian, and hosts a comedy show. Your opinion is outweighed by official, objective realities of what people call him and consider him. Political humor is a type of comedy, does that register for you at all? Or are you going to try to fail again to not comment on the objective by attempting a bad stab at questioning intelligence?

Unless of course his own marketing brand, HBO, biography and materials are ALL misinformed and ALL don't see this amazing breakthrough you've had. Unless his own quote from his mouth, "It’s not journalism, it’s comedy—it’s comedy first, and it’s comedy second" is some bold-faced lie to cover up his REAL plan, you're wrong. But I can't wait for you to show me an obtuse triangle with some droll attempt to say I'm wrong again.

Why not? How many models and actors are reading the news?

Not to mention there is certainly a contingent that gets almost all of their news opinions from those shows.

WSS

Woody has posted Oliver's take on the news repeatedly. It's fair to assume he takes Oliver's opinion as more than a comedy bit.

Right, but that's what I'm saying before with that just being a fact of the world. People take the opinions of others in power (whether it be a celeb, politician or whomever) at face value all the time. It isn't some unique phenomenon to John Oliver and doesn't change the fact that he's a comedian.

Dennis miller is a comedian right? Is that, in your opinion, all he is?

First off, I can't believe he's 62 years old. I also still can't believe he got a gig for MNF.

I see where you're going, but the thing is Miller has committed to hosting programs on news networks for years. Comedy Central and HBO aren't news networks. If John Oliver began doing syndicated work on CNN and CNBC I would no doubt change my mind.

You can say the same shit 1000 times and it doesn't change the facts. He's called a comedian, and hosts a comedy show. Your opinion is outweighed by official, objective realities of what people call him and consider him. Political humor is a type of comedy, does that register for you at all? Or are you going to try to fail again to not comment on the objective by attempting a bad stab at questioning intelligence?

Unless of course his own marketing brand, HBO, biography and materials are ALL misinformed and ALL don't see this amazing breakthrough you've had. Unless his own quote from his mouth, "It’s not journalism, it’s comedy—it’s comedy first, and it’s comedy second" is some bold-faced lie to cover up his REAL plan, you're wrong. But I can't wait for you to show me an obtuse triangle with some droll attempt to say I'm wrong again.

Just because you can use the phrase "objective realities," it does not follow that you are describing an objective reality. You are trying to pigeonhole people into a single category when in "objective reality," they actually fit into many.

Right, but that's what I'm saying before with that just being a fact of the world. People take the opinions of others in power (whether it be a celeb, politician or whomever) at face value all the time. It isn't some unique phenomenon to John Oliver and doesn't change the fact that he's a comedian.

And there you go again, attacking a point that no one is making.

Just because you can use the phrase "objective realities," it does not follow that you are describing an objective reality. You are trying to pigeonhole people into a single category when in "objective reality," they actually fit into many.

And there you go again, attacking a point that no one is making.

Do you understand the word objective? Everything I have said is tangible proof he is a comedian because ya know thats what people call him. I simply cannot make that clearer without highly questioning reading ability.

Literally WSS three comments up talked about influence that people get from famous people, and so did cysko. Are you serious with that?

Do you understand the word objective? Everything I have said is tangible proof he is a comedian because ya know thats what people call him. I simply cannot make that clearer without highly questioning reading ability.

Literally WSS three comments up talked about influence that people get from famous people, and so did cysko. Are you serious with that?

And he continues to argue against a point that no one is making.

Archived