THE BROWNS BOARD

Border Wall

MLD Woody

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody has posted Oliver's take on the news repeatedly. It's fair to assume he takes Oliver's opinion as more than a comedy bit.

Is that fair to say?

Do I post anything else when I post his videos? Have I outright said I agree?

Or could I just be posting them to start a conversation and because I think the videos are interesting. Maybe I find topics like this more interesting than Cal's 14th "Obamao is a dirty liberal/etc!" thread of the week?

But you know what happens when you assume. You continue to look like an ass.

Right, but that's what I'm saying before with that just being a fact of the world. People take the opinions of others in power (whether it be a celeb, politician or whomever) at face value all the time. It isn't some unique phenomenon to John Oliver and doesn't change the fact that he's a comedian.

Stuart

What the hell are you arguing then? Yes Oliver is a comedian. He ridicules politics of the day which makes people laugh. Leftists take his comedy seriously in such a way that it helps them justify their hatred of Republicans or Conservatives.

If that didn't help, from WIKI...John William Oliver (born 23 April 1977)[2] is an English comedian, political commentator, television host, and occasional actor. He is widely known in the United States for hosting HBO's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and for his work on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Oliver is on HBO. not exactly comedy central. HBO is home of vice news a well known comedy show

I thought you were on Stewart and Colbert at that point.

But yes, HBO does do some news stuff sometimes. So they're basically a channel that has News in their name...

What the hell are you arguing then? Yes Oliver is a comedian. He ridicules politics of the day which makes people laugh. Leftists take his comedy seriously in such a way that it helps them justify their hatred of Republicans or Conservatives.

But yet no one is making this point in the thread, right Vapor? Right?

Simply put, one more time, just because people take his opinions at face-value doesn't mean he isn't merely a comedian with a political humor angle. People taking famous people's opinion literally happens all the time. It's not worth my time saying that again.

I don't think we can treat Beck the same as Stewart.

Beck wants to be news. He wants you to get info from him

Stewart wants to be comedy. He wants you to laugh and enjoy his program. His program happens to be around politics and current events, so he needs to provide some facts to set the joke.

That's not to say some don't use him as a news source. Those people might better off than if they just watched Beck though...

Archived