THE BROWNS BOARD

A Washington fan's analysis of what to expect from RG3

SPEK216

Saw this over on another Browns forum

First off, some misconceptions.

RG3 isnt the same because he blew out his knee.

He might not be as fast as he once was, but hes still pretty dang fast. 4.35 speed vs 4.40 speed, for example. The reason why he struggled so much in 2013 and 2014 was because he told Shanahan he didnt want to run the read-option anymore. He wanted to be a pocket passer. Now never mind the fact that he has never been a strong pocket passer, IMO its absurd that he wanted to take out one of the key parts of his game. Guys were wide-open BECAUSE the defense was playing to stop the read-option. When they knew he wasnt going to run, they started playing him like any other QB. As far as his knee health, Shanahan said in an interview recently that he was informed from Dr. James Andrews that Robert's original ACL reconstruction was shoddily done and the knee was a ticking time bomb anyway. Andrews said the knee is stronger now than before the 2012 injury.

The Redskins just needed to give RG3 another chance.

He LITERALLY got EVERY chance. 13 games of 2013 before Shanahan benched him in a desperation move, was named the starter in 2014 before injuring himself. Came back, had a solid start, then had an absolutely dreadful game. See the analysis here. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-s...dskins-offense/ He came back for the final couple games and was named the starter right after the season. But with an offseason where minimal progress was seen by the coaching staff, he was benched after the second preseason game. Redskins went on to turn their 4-12 record in 2014 to 9-7 and a playoff berth in 2015.

Where he excels:

-Hes incredible in the run game, if he so chooses. Hes not very agile but has elite (for any player) north-south speed. If he gets to the edge, watch out because it can very easily become a footrace. See this video where he runs for a 76 yard TD in 2012:

-He has a cannon of an arm, and a great velocity. Hes generally been quite accurate too, though I think hes struggling a little now after changing some mechanics in the off-season.

-He can extend plays with his legs and evade defenders when he needs to. See this play from 2012:

Where he struggles:

-Hes made many plays off-schedule, but its to the point where he doesnt know how to go ON-SCHEDULE. Hes def not a timing QB

-Cant read defenses. Too often he stares down a receiver which leads to incompletions or turnovers. He got better at the staring down thing in late 2014, but still has not shown he can make the right reads consistently

-OL Blocking. Griffin frequently came under fire for blaming his OL for bad blocking when the issue was Griffin not calling the right protection and doing the right drop back. Hed take 7 steps instead of 5, etc.

-Footwork. He throws with a wide base and frequently throws off his back foot. He gets away with it because he has a cannon of an arm, but its still something that needs to be fixed.

-Pocket awareness. Griffin was notorious for holding onto the ball for too long and taking sacks. In the 7 games he started in 2014, he was sacked 33 times. Kirk Cousins was sacked 26 times the entire 2015 season

-Immaturity. Hes thrown his follow teammates under the bus many times. One time he blamed his OL when the issue was Griffin not calling the right protection and doing the right drop back. He also has a tendency to say passive-aggressive things on social media and/or press conferences. Things tend to be about him, hes a bit self-absorbed. As a result, it brings increased scrutiny. It sucks but I already see this in Cleveland with him throwing the ball so far out of bounds it lands in the parking lot, and making comments like who says i cant slide!? after sliding.

NFL Comparison: Id compare him to Johnny Manziel. Manziel was a pure athlete that struggled with designed plays (going off-schedule most of the time). The pocket made him uncomfortable. Off the field issues for Griffin are MUCH less than Manziel, but still some are there. For what its worth, the Redskins were total drama from late 2012-summer 2015. Once he was benched, the drama went away overnight.

-Injuries. He has a knack for getting totally ragdolled when he gets hit. He doesn't seem to know how to brace or limit his hits. He's also had his share of fluke injuries. He was out for 6ish weeks in 2014 because he got his ankle caught in a divot on the turf. Also has had 2-3 concussions since his rookie year. That can be a concern if that number keeps climbing because of CTE and the risk for further concussions is higher.

Bottom line: Unless hes taken serious strides at becoming a QB that can read defenses and go through progressions, Rg3s best bet will be to run a read-option heavy offense with quick reads. In 2012, one of our most common (and most successful plays) was to come out in a read-option look, fake the handoff, then hit the WR running a quick slant over the middle.

Hes got talent, but he needs to check his ego at the door and buckle down in the film room. Hes done the best when he has confidence, so expect the first couple games to not ask a lot of him, in order to build his confidence. I really hope RG3 turns it around in Cleveland, I really do. I hope he learned from his mistakes in Washington. Hes like Vick in that hes electric to watch. You guys really deserve a good QB. Ill be rooting for ya (besides week 3 :P)

"Rg3s best bet will be to run a read-option heavy offense with quick reads"

And I'll bet dollars to donuts (or whatever the expression is) that that's what we're running for at least the first six games or so. If he's staying in the pocket, the ball is out to Hawkins or Higgins or someone who gets open quickly, in about 2.5 seconds. If we're looking long, eight or nine times out of ten it's a roll out, play action or maybe a flea flicker or some other kind of gadget.

"He's definitely not a timing QB."

This is the largest aspect of his game that concerns me, mainly because EVERYTHING I read about Hue Jackson's offense tells me that he relies more on timing than just about every offensive mind in the game. I remember our radio guys did a break down of the Bengals' offense and they counted the seconds until Dalton got rid of the ball. I don't remember exactly where the Bengals ranked in terms of how long it took to pass the ball, but I do know they were towards the top. This point demonstrates how much importance Hue places on timing and getting the ball out quickly. If RG III cannot grasp this concept and know where to go with the ball WHEN, he may struggle mightily and cost him the chance to get his career back on track.

Conversely, I believe many Browns fans are somewhat forgetting about RG III's athletic abilities. Yes, he's had some major surgeries, but as the poster pointed out, he may have lost SOME ability, but he certainly didn't crumble apart in a couple years. RG III is very fast, strong-armed, and known to be a bright guy. So far he's saying all the right things and working his ass off. I want every Browns fan to have tempered expectations for a few weeks, and maybe into a game or two in the season. I would NOT expect RG III to "blow up" in the preseason, and I wouldn't expect him to easily win the QB competition. I really do believe it's going to be "neck and neck" between him and McCown, with the starting nod eventually going to RG III.

But it won't be that easy of a decision. I think it will be complicated by McCown coming in against second and third team defenses and lighting them up (or at least putting up better numbers than RG III). My biggest hope is that RG III gets it together and turns it on before Hue is left no choice but to go to McCown. RG III's upside is vastly higher than Josh's, and his age would make it possible for us to have "our guy" for years to come.

This is all true, but I find myself day dreaming about the "what ifs" regarding RG III. Like, what if he's really the guy we've been looking for and we get to use the future picks on FINALLY developing our roster?? Ugh...it'd be SOOOO nice. Of course, Cody Kessler can also be "the guy", but the odds are against it.

This is all true, but I find myself day dreaming about the "what ifs" regarding RG III. Like, what if he's really the guy we've been looking for and we get to use the future picks on FINALLY developing our roster?? Ugh...it'd be SOOOO nice. Of course, Cody Kessler can also be "the guy", but the odds are against it.

The life of a Browns fan...

Archived