THE BROWNS BOARD

Pryor listed as starter

Zombo

Terrelle "The Placeholder" Pryor...

Yep, he will be Josh for four games. What an opportunity though. From washed up quarterback to starting NFL wide receiver in two years.

Z

Gordon has some work to do to get into the starting roster.

Yup.... will have to tie his shoes and everything...

Listen, at this point Pryor has done it all right, and Josh obviously hasn't. Every single person who watched Pryor this season has said he's nowhere close to the guy he was last year. Night and day. Many of us here lamented the fact that our Browns didn't have a jump ball wide out that could out-jump or out-muscle DB's. Now...we might.

Even when Josh was all universe, he was never really the guy who could leap over people in the end zone on a fade pattern. That one single route could honestly land Pryor on our team...as silly as that sounds. You could have Barnidge on one side and Pryor on the other. Both can go up for the rock, and that's a nightmare for defenses.

With all that being said, if Josh returns to form, it's a freaking formality. Josh is starting and shut the hell up. But that's a huge if, and Josh has much to prove.

Yup.... will have to tie his shoes and everything...

From what I've seen in person, Josh is going to have to do more than just tie his shoes.

Still has weight to lose according to our coaching staff. Might be more than just the 4 games for him to supplant anyone.

However Gordon still has 2 months to condition himself, so nothing is certain.

Josh is young enough to lose the weight by simply showing up and working hard. You can just tell by his ridiculous muscle structure that he's no normal man, and once he gets the nod to practice, that weight will slide off. The main thing is to get that injury HEALED, and not have it get re-injured time after time. That's actually my concern with Josh AND Corey. These lingering muscle injuries that just go on and on, and possibly sap some of their speed and agility. Remember Pryor last year? Poor guy never could get that damn hamstring right, and it severely cost him.

I have to admit, I was VERY skeptical regarding Pryor this season, and I almost didn't believe it when I kept hearing story after story about how much better he was looking. Then when I read that Pryor was doing it in scrimmages and 11 on 11's...well...then I knew it was no fluke. He's brought down tough, contested catches down the field AND in the red zone...two things we desperately require. If we're in the red zone and we line up Barnidge on one side, and Pryor on the other...well...you can pretty much bet that ONE of them is getting single coverage. The icing on the cake is that RG III apparently throws a dime of a fade pattern. I know it might sound silly, and people may believe the QB just "throws the ball up", but that's not true at all. The timing has to be there, it can't be underthrown or it's a pick, and it has to be in JUST the right spot or the receiver comes down out of bounds. A lot goes into that route, and we may finally have a couple of guys that can do it.

If Gordon busts and Pryor ends up a Pro-Bowler this year he shall forever be known as "Placeholder Pryor." I love it, Tour.

lol... I like my odds.

From what I've seen in person, Josh is going to have to do more than just tie his shoes.

Still has weight to lose according to our coaching staff. Might be more than just the 4 games for him to supplant anyone.

However Gordon still has 2 months to condition himself, so nothing is certain.

At least he gets to do it in the facility...

Senior offensive assistant Al Saunders:

On if Pryor can be an every down receiver:

“You know, I’m not sure how that translates. I know this – he’s working as hard as he can to be the best football player he can be. I’m looking forward to seeing how he plays Friday night and then the next weekend, and the next weekend, and the next weekend. He’s at a point right now – this is really a hard transition for anybody to make. I’m trying to think back, maybe (former Steelers WR) Antwaan Randle El is the one guy that I’ve coached that has gone from a quarterback to a receiver and really done an exceptional job. Like I said, we couldn’t be any happier than where Terrelle is right now, but he knows he has a lot of things to work on and a lot of things to improve on and that it’s not all going to happen overnight. It’s going to take time. This is his first exposure to that position, but myself personally, I couldn’t be any more thrilled with where he is right now.”

--------------

A very upbeat critique but he never actually tells us where, "where he's at right now" is, in relation to being a starting NFL receiver...or a situational player...or even backup to the backup. He's saying Pryor is making progress.

Last year at this time Pryor was injured and couldn't play. This year it's everybody else that's injured giving him the stage.

...break a leg Terrelle. (show-biz talk)

This will also be a good opportunity for our multiple wr draft picks to get playing time.

A new Browns era pops into existence in less than 24 hours. - Somewhat exciting, no?

“You know, I’m not sure how that translates. I know this – BLA BLA BLA. Like I said, we couldn’t be any happier than where Terrelle is right now, but he knows he has a lot of things to work on and a lot of things to improve on and that it’s not all going to happen overnight. It’s going to take time. This is his first exposure to that position, but myself personally, I couldn’t be any more thrilled with where he is right now.”

--------------

A very upbeat critique but he never actually tells us where, "where he's at right now" is, in relation to being a starting NFL receiver...or a situational player...or even backup to the backup. He's saying Pryor is making progress.

If your looking for Al Saunders to say Pryor is the next Alshon Jefferies he's not. Is Pryor even a top 50 WR? May not be in top 100 imo. Can he be an EVERY down Reciever? Pryor running sprints every down? Have not seen that either, with his amount of leg injuries history at WR. Now add on the hits he would have to take at WR..Saunders said all you can say at this point..Playmakers & Hope-fulls separate themselves on the field.

“You know, I’m not sure how that translates. I know this – he’s working as hard as he can to be the best football player he can be. I’m looking forward to seeing how he plays Friday night and then the next weekend, and the next weekend, and the next weekend. He’s at a point right now – this is really a hard transition for anybody to make. I’m trying to think back, maybe (former Steelers WR) Antwaan Randle El is the one guy that I’ve coached that has gone from a quarterback to a receiver and really done an exceptional job. Like I said, we couldn’t be any happier than where Terrelle is right now, but he knows he has a lot of things to work on and a lot of things to improve on and that it’s not all going to happen overnight. It’s going to take time. This is his first exposure to that position, but myself personally, I couldn’t be any more thrilled with where he is right now.”

--------------

Last year at this time Pryor was injured and couldn't play. This year it's everybody else that's injured giving him the stage.

...break a leg Terrelle. (show-biz talk)

This will also be a good opportunity for our multiple wr draft picks to get playing time.

A new Browns era pops into existence in less than 24 hours. - Somewhat exciting, no?

Exciting?....YES!

The dawn of a new day, start of a new era.....This one has started MUCH differently than the others since 1999 & that ain't necessarily bad.

Mike

Sounds realistic...

Sounds like "Placeholder"... :)

It might only be the preseason, but I REALLY want to see Pryor blow up in the next few exhibition games. I want to see him get off the line of scrimmage (something he couldn't do last season by several reports), I want to see him get YAC, and I'd really like to see him get some red zone shots (if we even get DOWN there, LOL).

You've gotta be somewhat encouraged by what we saw out of pryor tonight. This guy might have a chance.

One thing he's got going for him, I think, is that he's been bounced around enough that he knows he's got to work like a beast and not be a diva.

Agreed.....my 2 main beefs with Pryor were his continued insistence that he only wanted to play QB(and not WR), then suddenly saying he'd be ok with WR......(so I expected a half assed effort).....

AND.....dude has always been a diva.....since high school......and one who did NOT show grit, toughness, determination, etc....

Now....he's got my attention....

Agreed.....my 2 main beefs with Pryor were his continued insistence that he only wanted to play QB(and not WR), then suddenly saying he'd be ok with WR......(so I expected a half assed effort).....

AND.....dude has always been a diva.....since high school......and one who did NOT show grit, toughness, determination, etc....

Well said! It's amazing what needing to prove oneself can lead to vrs that of showing up feeling entitled (like Pryor has been able to do throughout high school and college as the man).

We've had 2 WRs make the Pro Bowl here since 2007 and neither one was worth groin sweat after that happened. Once Braylon proved why he was a #3 overall pick (2 years post-op with 16 TD receptions, 80 receptions and well over 1000 yards receiving on our 10-6 team with DA as his QB), we never saw the same focus or desire again here. Gordon has been suspended 31 of his next 36 games after the Pro Bowl back in 2013.

Ditto...

Hands are there...

Eyes are there...

Feet and body control to go.

Archived