THE BROWNS BOARD

Game 1 -Good, bad & ugly

Mudfly

The problem I had with Kessler wasnt the first safety....it was the second......how often do you allow 2 safeties in a game, let alone in the same quarter.....????....has it ever happened???....that is some very very bad play....on the QB, coach AND o-line

So....Kessler really kind of sucked in that respect....awareness.....should have thrown it away.....

And some very questionable play calls(Hue).....why put Kessler in that position?.....(twice)....

Rookie QB with a 3rd string line shouldnt be throwing out of the end zone....just run the damn ball or have a plan to dump it fast.....or.... take 2 safeties in 5 minutes.....ugh

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes Hamlett's physical tools are exciting on paper. so far so good.

Kessler will beat that blitz in time. the game is really fast, and he has a lot on his mind when the LOS is at the 50, let alone inside the endzone. i'm not that concerned about that safety. in fact i'm kinda glad it happened. good opportunity to focus on what not to do. that situation doesn't always present itself every day and Cody will undoubtedly learn and grow from it.

Good points! And again, if it was easy for rookie QBs to be all ready to rock by preseason game 1 - why would Jeff Fisher be announcing before the preseason opener, Case Keenum (not to be confused with the next Brett Favre) gives us our best chance to win so he is our starter? Over in Philly, I kept reading and hearing about a need to possibly red shirt Carson Wentz almost right up to their preseason opener.

I'm not saying this to insult either guy especially since I liked both guys pre-draft while I considered it a head scratcher where we took Kessler. That said, I don't think a first appearance in August is an accurate projection of the career to follow.

It seems like our staff/front office put a lot of time and study into Kessler. If you look at the guy in here who saw him the most throughout college (D-Bone - who shares a lot of good wisdom and insight in here) - our QB Coach, Head Coach and FO guys in charge of drafting the rookie QB of their choice pretty much share the same opinion of this guy as D-Bone. The only time the poor kid had good field position - he threw a TD pass on the very first play. He took 2 Safeties looking exactly like a rookie in his first preseason games behind a bunch of blockers that won't make the team throwing to a bunch of WRs that won't either.

The problem I had with Kessler wasnt the first safety....it was the second......how often do you allow 2 safeties in a game, let alone in the same quarter.....????....has it ever happened???....that is some very very bad play....on the QB, coach AND o-line

So....Kessler really kind of sucked in that respect....awareness.....should have thrown it away.....

And some very questionable play calls(Hue).....why put Kessler in that position?.....(twice)....

Rookie QB with a 3rd string line shouldnt be throwing out of the end zone....just run the damn ball or have a plan to dump it fast.....or.... take 2 safeties in 5 minutes.....ugh

Accurate synopsis! If he becomes Brandon Weeden that never learned something as easy as he could throw the ball away outside of the pocket 2 years into things - then we can we all agree it's a lost cause like Weeden was.

Yesterday.....Dak Prescott made the Kessler pick look even worse.....just saying....

Someone else wrote this about how Prescott looked up against the #1 overall pick in the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-preseason-blitz-jared-goff-upstaged-by-dak-prescott-031144951.html

I'm sure Troy Aikman remembers how many Uncle Jethros in the Dallas fan base preferred Steve Walsh to him when the surroundings and offensive line up front were brutal before the position became fair in his 3rd NFL season. Steve Young could also weigh in on how playing QB as a rookie in Tampa was nothing like the paradise of setup he showed up to in SF. If Drew Brees didn't QB SD for about 12 games (with numbers less than people complained out with Colt McCoy) toward the worst record in football - would they have had to burn their first overall pick on a QB the very next draft? If hotshot rookie QB didn't hold out all of training camp - Brees might not have ever had the chance to be a 12-4 QB heading to the Pro Bowl.

Rookie QBs go to different situations impacting how quickly they emerge. We won 3 games last year and the team that earned the right to draft ahead of us (TN) gave up a league high 54 sacks.

In fairness, I didnt focus much on Schobert....

in fairness to Scoob i didn't key in on him like i did Schobert. i was watching the line mostly not the ILBers so i will defer to you.

that's pretty amusing. i promise i didn't read your post when i responded lol

agree on all points. allow me to go out on a limb here: i know most Head Coaches claim winning preseason games is important but is it possible Hue doesn't really care about winning the game as much as situational football? focusing on things he wants to work on as opposed to calling plays super relevant to a preseason game? because it seemed random to me. if winning against GB could be "winning the battle not the war", perhaps Hue is focused on the war not the battle? that's the best i've got to try to make sense of it. that he was just running stuff to find out who they are cuz he still doesn't know yet. which is only scary if your hopes are high and unrealistic i guess.

Good points! And again, if it was easy for rookie QBs to be all ready to rock by preseason game 1 - why would Jeff Fisher be announcing before the preseason opener, Case Keenum (not to be confused with the next Brett Favre) gives us our best chance to win so he is our starter? Over in Philly, I kept reading and hearing about a need to possibly red shirt Carson Wentz almost right up to their preseason opener.

I'm not saying this to insult either guy especially since I liked both guys pre-draft while I considered it a head scratcher where we took Kessler. That said, I don't think a first appearance in August is an accurate projection of the career to follow.

It seems like our staff/front office put a lot of time and study into Kessler. If you look at the guy in here who saw him the most throughout college (D-Bone - who shares a lot of good wisdom and insight in here) - our QB Coach, Head Coach and FO guys in charge of drafting the rookie QB of their choice pretty much share the same opinion of this guy as D-Bone. The only time the poor kid had good field position - he threw a TD pass on the very first play. He took 2 Safeties looking exactly like a rookie in his first preseason games behind a bunch of blockers that won't make the team throwing to a bunch of WRs that won't either.

good points as well, and by all. gumby too. one thing we learned is that Barrelchest Kessler can take a hit. not only did he show great ball security, he got up immediately still holding the rock like it was glued to his jersey. in fact i think he was still standing there holding it 15 minutes later while the green bay defender was getting the concussion pen test. gotta love durability and toughness.

Then put me down as horrified.

then you might wanna lower your hopes to two games and order a bourbon a shot and a brewski.

if you can't have a good time watching a team lose then how have you made it this far? lol

for this year you can pretend the Browns are a cross-eyed fat son at a swim meet who is guaranteed a participation award, and just be proud he didn't put his trunks on backwards. when the bar is that low everything bad is hilarious and everything good is unexpected and cheery. easier said than done i know.

agree on all points. allow me to go out on a limb here: i know most Head Coaches claim winning preseason games is important but is it possible Hue doesn't really care about winning the game as much as situational football?

Sure....Im certain winning wasnt priority one...like you said....situational and the priority is to see all the players(which puts you at risk of losing)....

3 bone headed plays cost the game....Mosert fumble = 3pts.....and Kesslers safeties = 4pts....

1 caught punt and 2 incomplete passes and we woulda won....HA!

gotta love durability and toughness.

Those QB's gonna need that this year....;)

Noted. At least you're prepared now.

Yeah, I don't think those play calls were all that smart. The 3rd string OL sucks and you're going to have your 3rd string 3rd round pick QB try to throw it with a deep drop from the 1? He was put in position to fail.

Yeah, I don't think those play calls were all that smart. The 3rd string OL sucks and you're going to have your 3rd string 3rd round pick QB try to throw it with a deep drop from the 1? He was put in position to fail.

had he not stepped out and got the ball off it was going for a TD WR broke free

Yesterday.....Dak Prescott made the Kessler pick look even worse.....just saying....

I was pushing for Dak up through the draft almost as much as I was Henry. Could not believe we let both go by. Kessler had better be damn good.

had he not stepped out and got the ball off it was going for a TD WR broke free

Perhaps. But from the one the D blitzes hard (it's an offensive play for the defense)...and his OL guys were pretty bad.

A bad combination.

I don't think Cody can use this as an excuse but the end zone WAS striped kinda' weird. Two thin stripes instead of the big fat one which is the norm.

[quote name="Orion" post="624564" timestamp="1471222597

I don't think Cody can use this as an excuse but the end zone WAS striped kinda' weird. Two thin stripes instead of the big fat one which is the norm.

You are hilarious!

I have been stuck watching ACC Football for like 20 years. Cam was FSU starting LT. By the time he was a JR. he knew all the line positions & was given/(not earned imo) due to injuries at other OL positions. FSU's best OL depth was at LT. Erving was their best plug n play guy due to NO depth at C or G. I hate Kiper, but the dude is right when he said the only position Cam is NFL ready for was G. Farmer got caught up in the Mack & other OL position injuries & pulled the wrong trigger.

Disagree with you and Mel... IMO Cam's best chance of success was at OT. Problem was he was not a 1st round OT.

Farmer missed so many good, Day 2 Centers with upside, it was silly...

Someone else wrote this about how Prescott looked up against the #1 overall pick in the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-preseason-blitz-jared-goff-upstaged-by-dak-prescott-031144951.html

Dak looked great and posted numbers that supported that appearance...

Jared looked good and posted numbers that you had to have seen his play to get beyond.

then you might wanna lower your hopes to two games and order a bourbon a shot and a brewski.

Always dangerous speaking for mik, but I think he meant that his hopes aren't that high for 2016 and he was still rattled by what he saw Thursday nite...

Meanwhile back at Center... assuming Cam gets selved...

I've speculated for a couple years that Bito might be the best one on the team with Mack unavailable... unless Joel just flat can't grip a ball, I can see him there.

The move would let:

• Paztor fill in at LG, a role he was decent in last year.
  • Greco remain at RG to help the rookie to his right.

Personally.... I like the alternation of experience and inexperience the above sets up.

Tia or Tour, do either of you think have a different thought on RG3 than what this guy said? .. "looked pretty good"

He analyzed the formation, described what the motion showed about the D, discussed the placement of the throw, and explained the playcall/hot route adjustments of RG3 in each throw from preseason game1.

Tia or Tour, do either of you think have a different thought on RG3 than what this guy said? .. "looked pretty good"

He analyzed the formation, described what the motion showed about the D, discussed the placement of the throw, and explained the playcall/hot route adjustments of RG3 in each throw from preseason game1.

It's a mix of Robert looking good, the receivers looking good, and Coach setting up RG with highly favorable matchups via early down formations and motion.

Pass #1. Granted it's preseason but you have 11 men at the line in a single high shell all the way after the motion to a pistol set. This is the gift I'm talking about with Hue because this is a straight max protect, 3 man route tree

the whole way designed to get one of the receivers on the outside open. Double 9's with a blanket in the middle. If the safety bails over top of the field side CB (which most safeties are told to roll help that way) then you have a 1 on 1 with Barney. Robert see's the safety over top with linebackers sitting underneath, Barney breaks shallow (as he should) Robert goes to Pryor as that's the receiver he had shown the most comfort with in camp and obviously the best mis match.

To me this is a similar style of play to what Carolina did for a good portion of the year after Benji got hurt. A lot of 3 and 4 man routes, giving your QB time to hold onto the ball and receivers that have yet to prove themselves, time to get open. In this case RG makes a throw where only his receiver can go get it. 25/25/50. 25% credit to Hue, 25 to Robert for getting to his second read (though made easy) and 50% credit to Terrelle for making a great catch.

The early look on defense looks like a cover 6 with Ha-Ha in a roll/robber. Never know because they shift with the motion. Ending up single high shell. Either way, teams know our best threat is Barney, he's the #3 in that play (as in the #3 fast threat) so he's going to get attention especially a capable TE being a shaky QB's best friend. So GB tossed a bracket on the #3, delayed a bit, took their chances that the QB is late on his second read or makes a poor throw. Robert holds his eyes in the middle quite well, actually.

Pass #2. Another gift from Hue. We get Pryor in the slot with Barney as an inline and Gabe outside. We end up getting TP on Rollins (2nd year man out of Miami, Ohio) CB/Safety and Barney alone on the ILB. Ha-Ha is at 12-15. Its a 2 shell but Clinton-Dix doesn't look concerned about playing the outside receiver. It's clear teams are going to be willing to man up on the outside and crowd the hashes. Hell, neither of GB's safeties are worried about outside. Top of the screen is giving help to the backer Generally speaking in 2man high you want that type of action because big plays happen when you drive down on receivers. But the Pack CB's aren't playing any inside eye and aren't looking to drive the receivers back inside to the crowd. This is where CC could get some serious opportunities as the season goes on. They're simply playing over the top of the 2's and 3's.

Anywho, 21 is looking to drive down over the middle but the TP/Barney matchup presents and issue. Barney sees the safety flat footed and makes a smart break knowing it's just he and backer in man. Another easy read and throw. So long as the slot doesn't get clued in on film waiting for a kill shot or a pick. If he falls off early... ouch. Sometimes lazy defense works against slow QB's. If the backside safety was playing more towards the hash indicating bracket, then an easy check from Robert is to get the ball to Duke. No way that backer can fall under neath that pass. To me this is a play that if we see going forward, we'll understand more of Griffin's growth mentally.

#3 Pass. This is a bit different. 5 man pressure but HB leaks out so the spy has to cover the check down.

It's a throw to the boundary. it's nice to have comfort with a receiver but its a bit concerning this matchup would be taken (To me at least) I don't think Robert even notices Clinton-Dix rolling over the top. Another double out concept (levels minus the depth of route) with safety help favoring Barney. Which, it should... Hyde vs Barney is a mismatch everytime. Again, though... it's a boundary formation and Dix is more than capable over getting underneath or over the outside man if the read and throw are even a little late.. Shields isn't quite what he was, but If he plays this with a similar mentality some of the corners on our schedule have (jumping the underneath stuff) then this could have been a pick.

The nice thing about a concept like that with such a small field is that the QB doesn't have to move his eyes much to get to the second man. So I guess there's a silver lining to be had.

#4 Pass. 2 shell. As I mentioned earlier though. A shakey QB's comfort is a big body in the middle. Robert see's 2 high, but those safeties are sitting on that hash waiting for it. In theory this is the right read, Barney could have broken this off a little sharper even, but our QB had this locked in the WHOLE way. I just don't know about this one. At best its a highly contested catch, at worst, you have a linebacker underneath, a safety going high and safety going low on your best receiver. This is where an elite QB see's a safety drifting and knows where his next option is. I can't tell whom the slot receiver is at the top, but when you read man and safeties hanging out on your TE, you check into that corner route 10 times out of 10. A more deeper sign of having playbook mastery is knowing that open trey look helps give that slot man a good, clean release.

It's 12:30 and I need to shower but I see a couple good things, I see some not good things. At the moment I see a lot of Coach Hue's QB guru-ness helping out a young man that struggles with full field reads.

Yeah, I thought this video was well done. After all, RG III only played in like two damn drives. I thought it was smart by the coaches to get him out there, feel some live bullets, and then take him out. This was RG III's first live action in quite a while, so it was nice to get the nerves taken care.

This next game will HAVE to feature more RG III, and I would guess he'll play the entire first half, or close to it. I know we don't want to risk injury, but he needs as much live action as possible right now. Practice only does so much...he needs live action, and lots of it. I'm really hoping RG III gets to play with some starting receivers for a good bit, but of course, I'm terrified that THEY'LL get injured too. Lord I hate the preseason sometimes.

I hate this preseason BS of not allowing your starters to play enough.

The Browns have been 1-16 in openers since 1999..... a lot of this is due, in my opinion, on the fact that the Browns have NOT been ready to perform in their openers because they have not allowed the first teamers enough time to play together.

As far as I am concerned, the starters should play the complete first half of EVERY preseason game. Get your fucking asses ready to play when the games count. For 17 years their fucking asses have not been ready.

You can evaluate the fringe players in the second halves of these PS games....and in practice.

It is like fucking Ray Farmer who spent all his fucking time worrying about the last 3-4 roster spots on the team. This team needs to get their fucking starters ready to play....and NOT spend so much time worrying about who will be kept to play third string.

I know what you mean Gipper, but I can remember that one Jake Delhomme team that appeared to be pretty solid in the preseason...and then shit the bed in the first game after Jake did what everybody knew he'd do...and throw the dumbest pass imaginable before half that cost us the game and broke his ankle. LOL

What tia said? :)

Overall impression was an analysis straight out of Madden... doesn't make it bad necessarily.

On play #1 I see a packed box with 9 before HaHa backs out. Simplest pre-snap in the world with the outside WRs the obvious choice. RG looks left and then barely looks right before releasing the ball. Designed play trusting Pryor to beat his man deep... which he does by half a step. Play seems predetermined. Best thing is it shows RG's arm...it was a pretty deep-ball... found myself imagining Gordon on the other end of it. Second best thing is it showed Pryor's ability to adjust to the ball.

In general RG's pre-snap recognition looked good. And eye discipline is huge in my book... and his designed, rehearsed discipline was good, but I still question if his eyes were seeing anything post snap.

• The deep ball to Barn: easy pre-snap read, verified a Safety was on Barn, good eye discipline down the middle to keep the other Safety in the top half of the field, but body positions scream for a back shoulder throw here and there was time to see that.
  • The deep-ish out to Moore: RG locked onto him and stayed on him throughout his pocket moving. Ditto the shorter out to Pryor earlier.
  • The INT: there is room to place blame on Barn... if you are inclined to do so. The end-zone replay clearly showed that Barn altered his route early to avoid the under LB early routing him more vertical run than it may have been drawn up. This likely impacting the route timing. The commentator's "Seam-route/ post-route" babble is off the mark as Barn was clearly went back to angling his route once he cleared the LB. RG still had the ball while this "adjusting" was going on. So my take is he failed to adjust... but his adjustment would have required him to drop the ball into Barn over the LB. The throw he made avoided the lane the LB was in... and the Safety, Hyde, made a very nice diving play. My guess is the throw he made was the throw that worked all week in practice...

Not much else... Most of the other plays had similar themes. The screen throwaway showed some of the discipline we've heard has been drilled into him... also showed we still can't run a screen for some reason.

It is still early, but how many screenless regime's is this now?

I wouldn't put too much stock in this game. It's a rather meaningless preseason game in the grand scheme of things. Hard to get a handle on any team after their first preseason game. New coaches want to get a better idea of what each and every player can do and that's what Hue and his staff are doing. The scoreboard is fairly a non-significant factor. For instance, if the Browns would've played the same game but would've won by a couple of points, the mistakes they made in this win would still need to be addressed. Stay calm my Browns fans. Take my Bengals for instance. They lost to the Vikings, but our first team offense and defense completely dominated them. That's all I was concerned about. Not only that, but the Vikings scored their first TD with their first team offense playing against our second team defense. I'll take that any day.

It was so obvious what the Browns lacked in this game: DISCIPLINE! Almost all of their errors was a result of playing undisciplined football and Hue will more than likely get this straightened out. The good news is that his chances of bring discipline to the team are greater than not as a result of the lessons he learned as head coach of the Raiders. Also, the mistakes the Browns made in this game are ALL very correctable such as the turnovers, running wrong routes, throwing to the wrong area and all of the new players adjusting to one another. I know you guys don't want to hear it, but the fact is that you're gonna have to be patient as the new coaching staff moves the team forward. If the Browns stay healthy, I think you'll see them get better and better as the season moves along. They're still a couple of years away, but the D has the ability to speed up that process.

Think about it guys. The Browns have a new head coach, a QB that has just been pulled off the scrap heap and a flood of rookie receivers. It's gonna take time for these guys to gel. The good news is that RGIII is still relatively young and athletic. Couple that with an offensive minded coach and I think you'll see an improved RGIII but he'll have to keep himself healthy by running out of bounds instead of taking a hit, sliding, getting rid of the ball when nothings there, etc., etc. And it may take him about half of the season, maybe less, maybe more, to show that he has improved.

Playing disciplined football; keeping themselves healthy and not being afraid of the Squealers by punching them in the mouth at every single opportunity, are the three most important keys in getting this organization moving in the right direction. -77

Think about it guys. The Browns have a new head coach, a QB that has just been pulled off the scrap heap and a flood of rookie receivers. It's gonna take time for these guys to gel.

there's been a comment like this in multiple threads for 10+ years now. i guess the browns take mulitple decades to 'gel'.

welcome to the party pal.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this game. It's a rather meaningless preseason game in the grand scheme of things. Hard to get a handle on any team after their first preseason game.

cliche much???

New coaches want to get a better idea of what each and every player can do and that's what Hue and his staff are doing.

As are we. These games are critical for evaluating talent. So, if you suck, you might get cut. If you're good, you might make the team. And guess what, we can see the same things Hue sees. So, its not win or lose....it's how you play. And if you suck, then just saying it's preseason aint enough. Just ask the Coach thats gonna cut the players who sucked.

The scoreboard is fairly a non-significant factor. For instance, if the Browns would've played the same game but would've won by a couple of points, the mistakes they made in this win would still need to be addressed.

Exactly. And if we won, Id still say who played poorly and who played well.

Stay calm my Browns fans. Take my Bengals for instance. They lost to the Vikings, but our first team offense and defense completely dominated them. That's all I was concerned about.

Us too. And guess what.....we didnt dominate anyone anywhere. We showed the same poor tackling , weak line and porr running game that we've seen for years. So dont tell me it's only game one.....it something more like game 454 dammit.....

It was so obvious what the Browns lacked in this game: DISCIPLINE! Almost all of their errors was a result of playing undisciplined football and Hue will more than likely get this straightened out.

Funny, cause thats pretty opposite of what Ive seen. In fact, one of the major knocks on Pettine was he had too much discipline....on the field and off it.....didnt let the players flow to the ball and forced disbiplines on the players, as opposed to letting them just do what they do naturally.....HUE is SUPPOSED to be the loose, players coach, who's gonna let them "just play"......so, we'll see.....

I know you guys don't want to hear it, but the fact is that you're gonna have to be patient as the new coaching staff moves the team forward. If the Browns stay healthy, I think you'll see them get better and better as the season moves along. They're still a couple of years away, but the D has the ability to speed up that process.

Damn straight we dont want to hear it.....already heard it LITERALLY 500 times......to me, it sounds like blah blah blah blah blah....especially from a bunghole who doesnt know the team.....I KNOW THE FUCKING BROWNS......dont tell me.....and, btw, the defense sucks and is NOT gonna speed up crap.....not one difference maker and youre telling me the D will carry this team????.......thats insane

Think about it guys. The Browns have a new head coach, a QB that has just been pulled off the scrap heap and a flood of rookies.

Yep.....11 times in the last 16 years....what else is new???? (besides the coaches, GM, rookies and 1/2 our roster)

It's gonna take time for these guys to gel. The good news is that RGIII is still relatively young and athletic. Couple that with an offensive minded coach and I think you'll see an improved RGIII but he'll have to keep himself healthy by running out of bounds instead of taking a hit, sliding, getting rid of the ball when nothings there, etc., etc. And it may take him about half of the season, maybe less, maybe more, to show that he has improved.

Playing disciplined football; keeping themselves healthy and not being afraid of the Squealers by punching them in the mouth at every single opportunity, are the three most important keys in getting this organization moving in the right direction. -77

My recommendation......please dont show up....say I live in Cinnci....then offer lame advice, as if you're a Browns expert and we dont understand our team or the meaning of a preseason game......piss off....

Archived