THE BROWNS BOARD

Get Rid of Braylon Now

ClevelandFanForLife

With all of these rumors flying around about Braylon getting traded, I feel it necessary to post this thread. I, and many others, have posted numerous times why we should trade Braylon and why it makes sense to. I am getting tired of repeating myself so I will post this thread so that hopefully I do not have to post it again.

Braylon hates being in Cleveland and will leave the first chance he gets. This whole everybody is against him because he is from Michigan is ridiculous. We boo him because he drops wide open passes. He is inconsistent and thinks way too much of himself. He is not a locker room problem, which is good, but he doesn't deliver like the 3rd overall pick should on a consistent basis. He needs to be traded before his contract is up after this season or he will leave and we will get nothing for him. HE WILL NOT SIGN BACK WITH US. For all of you who think Braylon will be wearing the brown and orange for several season i have this to say to you: you are dreaming. He will sign with the team who offers him the most money. The only way he won't do this is if Cleveland offers him the most (which we won't) and he signs with the second highest bidder.

There is the possibility that we franchise him after thsi season, but we would certainly be trading him just like the Patriots did with Matt Cassell. Either way we do it, he will be gone.

Braylon's number last year were atrocious: 55 receptions, 873 yards, 3 touchdowns and 18 dropped passes. Any rookie we draft this year will be able to put up better numbers this year so anything will be a step up. Crabtree, Maclin, Hayward-Bey, and probably Robiskie will be able to do better than he did last year.

All and all it looks like we will be trading Braylon soon. He will not be wearing a Browns' Jersey after this year so please come to grips with that. Hopefully this is the last time I, or anyone else will have to say this. Go Browns.

Say again?

;)

I will agree the Michigan thing is just crazy and also agree he's not coming back. But, it is understandably nerve racking to think our offense heads into '09 with no Winslow, no Stallworth, and no Edwards.

You could also look at it this way. If he really wants out of Cleveland, let's use him for a year. Many of these guys are known to put up big numbers in the last year of a contract.

Say again?

;)

I will agree the Michigan thing is just crazy and also agree he's not coming back. But, it is understandably nerve racking to think our offense heads into '09 with no Winslow, no Stallworth, and no Edwards.

You could also look at it this way. If he really wants out of Cleveland, let's use him for a year. Many of these guys are known to put up big numbers in the last year of a contract.

But you have to remember Ocon....Long term is the real key here. If you are the owner or president of an organization, your responsibilty is not only to the present but to the organization's future. You can't be short sighted.

I think as far as a business goes, the Browns are doing ok. Thus, If I am making decisions in the front office I am going to focus on one thing. The future.

Winning now may be a cure for all for those wanting instant satisfaction.....But are you securing the future of the franchise?

I still find it hilarious that three of the most popular Browns players were from Missigan. Hoard was a fumbling machine yet was still loved and we all know how Everitt was a franchise icon. Thom Darden is still maybe the baddest safety we ever had for a career and fans loved him, especially when he was knocking out Swann or McInally.

It's also extremely funny that Edwards is only listed as having 18 drops. Please, that mofo dropped everything thrown his way. Try more like 40 and numerous instances of gator arming and piss poor route running. I don't like Derek Bear as a QB for his obvious shortcomings, but Braylons killed that guy last year-------although DA kills him and others repeatedly when he lays them out.

Get him out of here, but make sure we get paid.

With all of these rumors flying around about Braylon getting traded, I feel it necessary to post this thread. I, and many others, have posted numerous times why we should trade Braylon and why it makes sense to. I am getting tired of repeating myself so I will post this thread so that hopefully I do not have to post it again.

Braylon hates being in Cleveland and will leave the first chance he gets. This whole everybody is against him because he is from Michigan is ridiculous. We boo him because he drops wide open passes. He is inconsistent and thinks way too much of himself. He is not a locker room problem, which is good, but he doesn't deliver like the 3rd overall pick should on a consistent basis. He needs to be traded before his contract is up after this season or he will leave and we will get nothing for him. HE WILL NOT SIGN BACK WITH US. For all of you who think Braylon will be wearing the brown and orange for several season i have this to say to you: you are dreaming. He will sign with the team who offers him the most money. The only way he won't do this is if Cleveland offers him the most (which we won't) and he signs with the second highest bidder.

There is the possibility that we franchise him after thsi season, but we would certainly be trading him just like the Patriots did with Matt Cassell. Either way we do it, he will be gone.

Braylon's number last year were atrocious: 55 receptions, 873 yards, 3 touchdowns and 18 dropped passes. Any rookie we draft this year will be able to put up better numbers this year so anything will be a step up. Crabtree, Maclin, Hayward-Bey, and probably Robiskie will be able to do better than he did last year.

All and all it looks like we will be trading Braylon soon. He will not be wearing a Browns' Jersey after this year so please come to grips with that. Hopefully this is the last time I, or anyone else will have to say this. Go Browns.

Dude, if he plays for the Browns in 2009, he won't be on any other team in 2010 for nothing.

Scenarios:

1) No new CBA is agreed to and the old one is not extended prior to the start of the 2010 season: Braylon becomes a restricted free agent and the Browns tender him the highest possible tender, thus getting a 1st and a 3rd for him should another team sign him to an offer sheet.

2) A new CBA is agreed to or the old one is extended prior to the start of the 2010 season: Braylon is franchised and either a team trades for him or they sign him to an offer sheet and the Browns get two 1st round draft picks.

Either way, they will get about what they could get for him this year.

We can afford to wait a year to get rid of him.

Andy

Out of all the people promoting the removal of Braylon from our team, I have yet to hear any of them give a good answer to this question.

Who'se gonna catch the freakin' ball for us? <_<

I'm tired of hearing people think we can draft a rookie WR and have him produce on a 1st string WR level come the first game of the season....

get what we can for him next year after he busts his ass in his contract year. or he is happy with the new FO, likes what he sees and is offered something decent.

Use this pic to shore up the Defense.

Out of all the people promoting the removal of Braylon from our team, I have yet to hear any of them give a good answer to this question.

I'm tired of hearing people think we can draft a rookie WR and have him produce on a 1st string WR level come the first game of the season....

yeah as stated before: anyone cna come in and have a better season than last year so anything will be a step up.

Dude, if he plays for the Browns in 2009, he won't be on any other team in 2010 for nothing.

Scenarios:

1) No new CBA is agreed to and the old one is not extended prior to the start of the 2010 season: Braylon becomes a restricted free agent and the Browns tender him the highest possible tender, thus getting a 1st and a 3rd for him should another team sign him to an offer sheet.

Andy

It's my understanding that the current CBA does not expire until after the 2010 season. No extension is needed until after the 2010 is played.

Therefore, the Union will enter the 2010 season as a capped year and as a result, Edwards, who becomes a free agent after the 2009 season would not have any restrictions since the NFL would not be under a final league year. Restriction to his free agency would happen if he became a free agent after the 2010 season.

I think I'm right about these numbers. Unless you can show me otherwise.

I think He can walk away from the Browns after this season unrestricted.

Pluto agrees with the title of this thread:

Cleveland Browns should trade Braylon Edwards: Terry Pluto

Thursday April 16, 2009, 8:35 PM

Since George Kokinis said so little at the Browns' pre-draft news conference, I'm going to take the general manager at his word when it comes to Michael Crabtree.

Kokinis likes Crabtree . . . a lot.

He likes the Texas Tech receiver because "he makes plays, he gets in the end zone."

He knows that Crabtree has a screw in his foot to repair a stress fracture, but Kokinis "has a comfort level" with the receiver's chances of making a total recovery.

While Crabtree was not healthy enough to be timed in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, Kokinis said that based on film study and scouting, "He has enough speed for me."

Which is why I expect them to trade Braylon Edwards to the New York Giants, and why they should make a deal that hopefully would bring the Browns the 29th pick, a lower-round draft choice and an all-around receiver/special teams player in University of Akron product Domenik Hixon.

Plain Dealer file

Is Braylon Edwards a franchise player? The Browns may have to pay a franchise player salary to retain him.There are several reasons for trading Edwards, starting with the fact he has led the league in dropped passes and doesn't want to play here. He is a free agent after the season -- possibly only restricted, it depends upon what happens with the labor agreement. But restricted or unrestricted, he wants a huge contract.

The Browns have to ask if they truly consider Edwards a franchise player because they'll have to pay him like one to retain the Michigan product. Also consider his belief that Browns fans don't like him -- and how he made it clear during the 2005 draft that he didn't want to play in Cleveland.

Trading Edwards would leave the Browns with tight end Steve Heiden and running back Jamal Lewis as their leading receivers from a year ago with 23 catches. It means the current wideouts would be Syndric Steptoe, David Patten and possibly Joshua Cribbs.

I still make the deal.

If linebacker Aaron Curry somehow falls to No.¤5, I'd take him and look for receivers later in the draft. Assuming the Browns add the 29th pick from the Giants, they'd own four choices in the top 50. There is some speculation that up to six receivers could go in the first round.

If they miss on Crabtree, perhaps Missouri's Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt of Rutgers, Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey or Florida's Percy Harvin are available late in the first round -- or some of these wideouts might fall into the second round.

Is drafting a wide receiver in the first round a risk?

According to research by Mike Florio of the Sporting News, there have been 37 receivers picked in the first round since 2000. He rates 16 as "quality contributors with their original teams." Some of the names on that list are Larry Fitzgerald, Lee Evans, Mark Clayton, Javon Walker, Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Edwards.

So it's about a 40 percent success rate. He rated 14 of 29 running backs (48 percent) and 12 of 23 quarterbacks (52 percent) picked in the first round since 2000 as good selections, so that's slightly higher than wide receivers (16-of-37, 43 percent).

Yes, they can miss on a wide receiver. Or maybe they pick a guy with better hands than Edwards. And they also should consider signing a veteran receiver such as Torry Holt to help in the film room and on the field. Most of all, they should wave goodbye to Edwards and bring in more draft picks.

It's my understanding that the current CBA does not expire until after the 2010 season. No extension is needed until after the 2010 is played.

Therefore, the Union will enter the 2010 season as a capped year and as a result, Edwards, who becomes a free agent after the 2009 season would not have any restrictions since the NFL would not be under a final league year. Restriction to his free agency would happen if he became a free agent after the 2010 season.

I think I'm right about these numbers. Unless you can show me otherwise.

I think He can walk away from the Browns after this season unrestricted.

No, the uncapped year works differently in terms of when players can become free agents and what not. Its 6 years in the uncapped year.

Although if we do want to get rid of Braylon this year, we better hurry the hell up. If we don't, Anquan Boldin may totally take the 1st and 3rd that the Browns want. And if that's all it will take to get Boldin, then nobody will give that for Braylon.

I have yet to hear any of them give a good answer to this question.

then pay attention.....there's been several.

not edwards......he cant catch.

in either case, with a short passing game, he's even more useless....cause the sand in his vagina prevents him from going across the middle. a skilled receiver that CANT CATCH is less useful than a scrub who has hands.

It's really quite frightening.. no edward at #1, No stallworth at #2, Steptoe is not worthy of an nfl roster spot just shows you what we have.. David Patten HUH? He has been a 3 or 4 everywhere we have been, we are expecting him to be a #2 at 33 years old. So essentially ..once we get rid of Brayon we have to fill the #1, #2, and #3 spots since Patten is a #4... Where rucker fits in here who knows.. Can he step up to take a #2 or #3 spot...

I just cannot believe we have not been signing every free agent in town to at least get us some competition at the 2,3 and 4 spots.. So we are in BIG BIG trouble even if we draft a crabtree we still have 2 more HUGE holes. ..

and dont even bring up Cribbs..we all know he is our special team star and strictly situational as a 4 or 5 reciever or slash QB he is not yet an everydown starter.. Unless he suddenly has learned how to run routes this year..(which would be great).. he is the special teamer..While I would love to see him be a consistant #3 guy..he has not shown the route running skills and hands necessary.. If he does we can still use him on kickoffs and replace him on punt duty.

So my question for all of you is.. How do we replace a #1, #2, and #3 reciever and be a competative team... and where are they coming from.. Are we going to draft 3 rookies and start them?

I'm also against the trading of Braylon.

1st: Bring out the old cliche of " The NFL is a business". Braylon has the right to go get the most money he can on the open market..That should be expected no?

2nd: He wants to win and be a successfull receiver, He shows up in the big games, and if you work with him on the non physical aspects of the game: consistency, concentration, being more successfull right out the gates in the standard sunday games he will regain his elite status.

Its the little things Crennel was shitty at will that will turn our team around. We are fielding a talented squad, now prepare them and put them in a position to win.

We are certainly not improving next year without Braylon..which is why I am against gift wrapping a #1 wideout for another squad.

Archived