THE BROWNS BOARD

Politics and the NFL Net

ballpeen

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

A quick look at the link above points out the games to be carried on the NFL Net.

With the legal tiff going on between Comcast and the NFL, it makes me wonder if these games were deliberately scheduled as such??

Each is a game the average fans would like to see.

Take our game as an example. Lot's of Pittsburgers are going to be ticked they can't watch that game, as are the many Browns fans spread across the country outside of the Cleveland TV market.

I can always go to the game, but I really don't want to go to Cleveland for a mid week game if I don't have to do so.

I know the FCC is going to hear things, I believe beginning on Tuesday.

I hope they get this crap worked out. I currently get the NFL Net, but a banner has appeared saying it will be discontinued beginning May 1.

Personally I don't know why they can't sell the NFL sunday ticket package on directv AND cable. Give viewers a choice of provider. DOn't herd them towards one company.

The NFL would make so much more money if they did this. Do you know how many people would love to have sunday ticket but can't get it due to their living arrangements?

I always wondered this, and figured it was something that DirecTV pushed for, exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket.

Well yeah that's basically it, they won the contract so they have the rights. When it expires if I were the NFL I would tell directv that they need to share with cable or go suck a lemon.

Also I would like them to give us the option to just buy one team's games, obviously on sundays I only watch the Browns, I mean it's nice to have flexibility with which game I watch at 4 O'clock but I could really care less.

Apparently the NFL is happy with the deal. They've extended it a couple times already I believe. Just look at the NFLs arguments with Comcast. You think they want to have to deal with all the individual cable companies out there?

They extended it through 2014 about a month ago. The good news is that you can purchase "NFL Sunday Ticket on Broadband."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

NFL extends deal with DirecTV; Sunday Ticket to be available on broadband

NFL.com Wire Reports

The NFL announced an agreement to extend DirecTV's rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket on Monday. DirecTV will continue to have exclusive television rights to air the package of Sunday afternoon games through the 2014 season.

The agreement also significantly broadens the reach of NFL Sunday Ticket by enabling NFL fans that can't receive DirecTV satellite service to get NFL Sunday Ticket via broadband. This service will begin no later than 2012.

Primetime games announced

The NFL announced the primetime games for the kickoff weekend and Thanksgiving Day games, which include the Super Bowl champion Steelers hosting the Titans to open the season. More ...

In addition, the NFL will offer fans (also no later than 2012) a new "Red Zone Channel" that shows crucial live action cut-ins of all Sunday afternoon games starting at 1 p.m. ET and continuing through the conclusion of the 4 p.m. ET games. The "Red Zone Channel" will be available to cable, telco and satellite systems, wireless devices and online.

"We are pleased to extend a partnership with DirecTV that has complemented and supported our broadcast television packages for 15 years," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We are looking forward to having the Red Zone channel on cable and other media platforms as well as showing NFL Sunday Ticket via broadband to the homes that cannot get satellite. This new content enhances our tradition of being the most pro-consumer, widely available sport on television."

Among the new features for fans are:

» Red Zone Channel: Subscribers who do not have DirecTV will have access to the "Red Zone" channel through local cable systems or telco, satellite systems and Internet providers. This special channel has been part of NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV the past four seasons and will continue for those subscribers. It provides live look-ins and real-time highlights from every Sunday afternoon game starting at 1 p.m. (ET) through the late afternoon games. The channel switches from game to game and airs live action when a team is in the red zone (inside the 20-yard line) and poised to score. A host also provides real-time scoring and fantasy updates.

» NFL Sunday Ticket on Broadband: Fans who live in areas where DirecTV's service is not available, such as apartment buildings or in residences with poor sightlines to a satellite signal, will be able to purchase a new NFL Sunday Ticket broadband package.

DirecTV customers who purchase NFL Sunday Ticket™ and the SuperFan™ package receive all Sunday afternoon games in HD; a "Game Mix" channel with up to eight games on one screen; the Red Zone Channel; the SUPERCAST™ service that streams every live NFL Sunday Ticket™ broadcast to laptop computers and the NNFL Sunday Ticket™ Mobile service that delivers up-to-the-minute highlights and soon full-length games to cell phones, pda's and other wireless devices.

DirecTV also announced it has extended its carriage agreement with NFL Network, which will continue to be offered in DirecTV's "choice" package.

-Al

wait so does this new law say that on the thursday night game, a game we used to be able to watch on cable, will no longer be available for that audience? i have to get nfl netowrk or go to a bar to watch it? if this is the case then this is absolutely absurd and i will never give a dime to the nfl network. ever.

wait so does this new law say that on the thursday night game, a game we used to be able to watch on cable, will no longer be available for that audience? i have to get nfl netowrk or go to a bar to watch it? if this is the case then this is absolutely absurd and i will never give a dime to the nfl network. ever.

NFLN is still on most cable systems as part of the basic package, which is what the NFL wants Comcast to offer it as. Comcast wants to put the NFLN in a sports tier that would cost customers extra. So unless you're stuck with Comcast you should be able to still see the Thurs nite games.

NFLN is still on most cable systems as part of the basic package, which is what the NFL wants Comcast to offer it as. Comcast wants to put the NFLN in a sports tier that would cost customers extra. So unless you're stuck with Comcast you should be able to still see the Thurs nite games.

Thank you. I'm tired of uniformed people (and not necessarily anyone on here) bashing on the NFL for not enough people getting NFL Network.

It's exactly the opposite.

NFL Network doesn't want any cable provider to put their channel in an "extra" package (translation: they want MORE people to get it.) The cable companies (mainly Comcast) that they're battling with want to charge you extra to get it (along with a boatload of crappy regional sports channels you don't care about....and some soccer, tennis, and a golf channel that doesn't show any actual golf.) They're trying to use it to sell their sports package that nobody wants. NFL says to Comcast "if you're going to do that then F off."

Comcast is the problem, not the NFL.

The NFL also requires that the primary media market has to carry every game on broadcast. Last year the ESPN games were on WJW, and the NFLN game was on WUAB. So if you are from Canton, or anywhere that gets reception for the Cleveland market (or the basic cable carries cleveland locals) you still catch every Browns game.

The NFL also requires that the primary media market has to carry every game on broadcast. Last year the ESPN games were on WJW, and the NFLN game was on WUAB. So if you are from Canton, or anywhere that gets reception for the Cleveland market (or the basic cable carries cleveland locals) you still catch every Browns game.

Thanks....That is good to know!

Except for the 2.5 inch screen. :huh:

FYI

If you have a newer HD tv there is a very good chance you could connect your device via the usb port and watch it on the big screen. My 13 yo daughter hooks her ipod to the tv and watches youtube?? I am not much of a tech person but maybe someone else on here is and could provide the facts

Archived