THE BROWNS BOARD

Another BQ Trade Rumor

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

From a reputable draft site:

The hot rumor league insiders have been floating for the past week is a deal between the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns. The trade would send quarterback Brady Quinn to the Lions in exchange for the 20th pick of round one. The deal will also likely involve the teams flip-flopping their picks at the top of the frame, with the first choice going to the Browns then Detroit picking fifth. If the deal is completed expect the Browns to then select Aaron Curry with the first pick of the draft.

While it is kinda crazy, I could see this being true if we're enamoured enough with a particular player that we want to get to #1. We could get that player (curry? stafford? sanchez?) and another good player at #20.

It does seem very unlikely to say the least. Maybe they think they are getting a Rookie in Quinn with no wear and tear but has experience (some)? Not sure there.

That is an AWFUL trade for us, if only because we'd be on the hook for $25 million+ to someone at #1.

Unless they're in love with Stafford and have been hiding it well. He's the only guy I could see dropping that much on.

In that case, it would be a pretty good move because it would give us flexibility to either keep or move BE, depending on what happens at 1 and 20.

Let's assume for a minute that we in fact want Stafford and move BE and end up with 29 as well.

We could conceivably end up with Stafford, Clay III and Britt/Hixon/Heyward-Bey all in the 1st. That would an AWESOME round 1 and give us tons of flexibility in round 2.

That is an AWFUL trade for us, if only because we'd be on the hook for $25 million+ to someone at #1.

Unless they're in love with Stafford and have been hiding it well. He's the only guy I could see dropping that much on.

In that case, it would be a pretty good move because it would give us flexibility to either keep or move BE, depending on what happens at 1 and 20.

Let's assume for a minute that we in fact want Stafford and move BE and end up with 29 as well.

We could conceivably end up with Stafford, Clay III and Britt/Hixon/Heyward-Bey all in the 1st. That would an AWESOME round 1 and give us tons of flexibility in round 2.

Is there enough cap space to pay all of those guys?

PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF

.... Coach Mangini.......quit it...... I can't see what you're doing....... what?...... draft Sanchez?..... D?....O-line?......

.....Trade?......with who?.....Skins?..... Broncos?......Lions?......(cough).....(cough)...

.....pffffft.........ahhhh..... psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..............................

Mangini wants his first year as head coach as Dexter as his starting Qb? That would be shocking.

I'd tend to think the Browns would draft Stafford if they flip flopped picks with Detroit.

I think the Lions may like this deal. They could end up with Quinn and either Smith or Monroe instead of Stafford and Beatty.

Actually , this move could work out well for both teams. The Browns get #1 and #20 and either draft Stafford or Curry and in the case of the latter they wait until next year to get their Franchise QB.

With #20 they could go any number of ways. Wells? English? Rey? Moreno? Maclin?

Interesting stuff.

I think there is going to be a bunch of moving come draft day. Mangini loves to wheel and deal to get his guys.

Good grief....

Why the hell would we want to pay #1 to ANYBODY in this draft?

Especially a Linebacker. Has that ever been done? #1 overall?

I actually like Stafford. The more film of him I watch, the more impressed I am. I figured the Lions would surely go OT with #1 overall. But now I don't think they will.

The hot rumor league insiders have been floating for the past week is a deal between the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns. The trade would send quarterback Brady Quinn to the Lions in exchange for the 20th pick of round one. The deal will also likely involve the teams flip-flopping their picks at the top of the frame, with the first choice going to the Browns then Detroit picking fifth. If the deal is completed expect the Browns to then select Aaron Curry with the first pick of the draft.

it couldn't get much better than that for me. LB @ #1 wouldn't kill us like a QB would, and who knows who might still be there @ #20. i hope it has legs.

claiming they will probably draft BPA really disguises anything they may be doing. these guys (kokman) are pretty good......

Green Bay certainly got the better end of the deal from us last year looking back. i'm curious if camp competition will even be used to determine Corey Williams future anyway.

who has our '09 2nd? i can't remember now.

*edit

Especially a Linebacker. Has that ever been done? #1 overall?

I actually like Stafford. The more film of him I watch, the more impressed I am. I figured the Lions would surely go OT with #1 overall. But now I don't think they will.

I'm thinking Aundray Bruce and maybe Cousineau. Also, Mario Williams if you count him as a OLB.

Cooze went to Canada though, right?

While that sure beats the hell out of the GM from the Lions actually saying today that they will have a signed contract done with their first round pick by the end of the week.

Todd McShay says that Stafford's agent is in Detroit working out the final details of the deal. Stafford himself said it isn't a done deal because the lions are in contact with another player also, but it looks like it could get done before Friday.

Another Quinn rumor shot to hell.

While that sure beats the hell out of the GM from the Lions actually saying today that they will have a signed contract done with their first round pick by the end of the week.

Todd McShay says that Stafford's agent is in Detroit working out the final details of the deal. Stafford himself said it isn't a done deal because the lions are in contact with another player also, but it looks like it could get done before Friday.

Of course they're leveraging another "guy" against Stafford to sign. I heard on the radio today people were wondering why Staff hasn't been locked up yet but it's still a little early.

Also, he could go down as the highest paid rookie ever if they finally get this rookie cap implemented. Not sure he should be in a huge hurry to sign with the Lions of all people.

Detroit is under pressure to do the "safe" thing after Millen and his genius, so the highest rated QB in the draft is the way they will go IMO.

The more I thought of that rumor the more I liked it....Now I'm bummed. But not really surprised.

I didn't think so before, but now I think Stafford is the only way to go for the Lions. The guy is really special. I thought Linehan and Schwartz would want that big Time LT l but I guess they can take Beatty at #20. He's not Jason Smith but he's still solid.

Archived