THE BROWNS BOARD

It's official: Quinn to start Thursday

GoatInDaDawgPound

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crennel: Anderson’s our QB ‘as of right now’

Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns, Derek Anderson

(Matt Sullivan / Getty Images)

(Matt Sullivan / Getty Images)

Browns coach Romeo Crennel didn’t exactly give QB Derek Anderson a vote of confidence during Monday’s press conference.

When asked if Anderson was still Crennel’s starting quarterback, the Browns coach replied, “Yes, as of right now.”

Anderson has struggled to follow up on a strong first season as a starter in the NFL, one after which the Browns rewarded the quarterback with a three-year, $24 million contract, including $14.5 million in guarantees.

In Sunday’s 37-27 loss to the Ravens, Anderson was 17 of 33 passing for 219 yards, two touchdowns and one interception, which was returned for a game-clinching touchdown by Terrell Suggs. When Anderson left the field, Browns fans were screaming “Bra-dy! Bra-dy!” for popular backup Brady Quinn.

“It’s deflating when they run the ball in for a touchdown,” Crennel said following Sunday’s game. “It’s deflating when they throw the ball over your head. It’s deflating when you don’t make a catch in the open. It’s deflating when you lose a game.”

After throwing for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns as the Browns finished 10-6 in 2007, Anderson has throw for 1,454 yards and nine touchdowns as the Browns have compiled a 3-5 record this season.

The Browns traded back into the first round of the 2007 draft to select Quinn with the No. 22 overall pick. While Browns fans have been clamoring for Quinn to see some action behind center, the second-year quarterback has yet to hit the field this season.

Guest Aloysius

from rotoworld:

ESPN reports that Brady Quinn will start at quarterback for the Browns Thursday against the Broncos.

Trey Wingo relayed the news at the end of ESPN's Primetime; we're not sure where it came from. It's a short week to prepare, but Quinn gets the easiest matchup possible against Denver. He'll do well. Quinn can put up solid QB 1/2 stats the next few weeks (Denver, Buffalo, Houston), but his schedule gets much harder after that: Indy, Tennessee, and Philly. Sage Rosenfels should be a better pickup over the next month, but not this week.

Guest Masters
I just heard it on WKNR that RAC 'n ROLLS met with DA earlier and BQ minutes ago to inform him he's starting.

Yeah, my brother was listening to Trivesano and they didn't believe the first caller. Then they were scrambling to get on ESPN.com to see if it was up yet.

Thank god the DA era is coming to an end. About 3 or 4 games to late. But better late than never.

Gee, think that panicy pick 6 botched screen pass sealed the deal?

Guest Masters
Talk about giving the kid a short time to prepare.

Either QB had a short time to prepare for the game. Means the staff believes Quinn can handle it.

In my opinion, I believe this speaks to how prepared the staff thinks he is. The rumors of him eating shit in practice must've been false, right?

Guest Masters

In my opinion, I believe this speaks to how prepared the staff thinks he is. The rumors of him eating shit in practice must've been false, right?

Also means DEN has little time to prepare for a QB they know very little about.

Or just how incompetent the staff really is. Either way I like it, and I just got even more excited for Thursday!

Or just how incompetent the staff really is. Either way I like it, and I just got even more excited for Thursday!

Either way, we get to see what we have in Quinn. A few games too late, but in the whole scheme of things that isn't too long.

story is now confirmed on ESPN. The BRAY-DEE chants worked!

BEREA, Ohio -- Quarterback Derek Anderson has been benched by the Cleveland Browns, who will start popular backup Brady Quinn on Thursday night against the Denver Broncos.

The switch was confirmed Monday by the team, just hours after coach Romeo Crennel said he had no plans to make a change.

Anderson, who has been inconsistent this season, threw a costly interception that was returned for a touchdown in the final minutes of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of "Brady! Brady!" for Quinn, the former Notre Dame star who has thrown just eight passes in two seasons.

Cleveland Browns announce Brady Quinn will start on Thursday vs. Denver Broncos

Posted by Mary Kay Cabot November 03, 2008 17:31PM

BEREA -- Browns quarterback Brady Quinn will start Thursday night against the Denver Broncos, a Browns spokesman said this afternoon. It will be Quinn's first start in the NFL.

Derek Anderson was benched after going 3-5 the first half of the season. Anderson is coming off a 37-27 loss to to the Baltimore Ravens in which he threw a costly interception at the end that thwarted any hopes of a comeback. The loss left the Browns at 1-3 in the division.

from http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/1 ... _brad.html

Guest Masters

Serious question: Are you sticking around? Part of being a Browns fan is dealing with adversity icon_e_smile.gif

He's not a Browns fan. He's a fan of Oregon and DA

Serious question: Are you sticking around? Part of being a Browns fan is dealing with adversity icon_e_smile.gif

Of course I'll be watching dipshit. Although now that the Browns have officially given up on the season, it won't be terribly exciting, as I don't own a pink #10.

He's starting for one reason....70,000 fans chanting his name toward the end of the game. RAC has no choice , whether he buys into or not, if he wants any chance of saving his job. If Brady does well and wins at least 5 of the last 8, RAC might be around next year. Anything other, and he'll be gone as well.

Of course I'll be watching dipshit. Although now that the Browns have officially given up on the season, it won't be terribly exciting, as I don't own a pink #10.

Dude, considering what brought you here and the way you've been puffing you chest out, I felt this was a legit question.

Archived