THE BROWNS BOARD

Tony Gonzalez is officially a Falcon

Guest AdaM

There was some debate about whether or not Tony Gonzalez really wanted out of Kansas City.

That debate is over.

The Chiefs announced Thursday that they have traded the 10-time Pro Bowl tight end to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

“On behalf of my family and the Chiefs, I want to thank Tony for his time in Kansas City,” Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement released by the team. “Over the last 12 seasons, Tony has been one of the finest players in Chiefs history, and he will always be remembered as a member of the Chiefs. His play on the field speaks for itself -– he holds almost every major NFL record for tight ends, and he is arguably the best to ever play his position. We wish him the best in Atlanta.”

Said new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli in the statement: “From an organizational as well as personal standpoint, there are mixed emotions. I have the highest personal and professional respect for Tony and consider him to be a future Pro Football Hall of Famer.”

It has been reported all offseason that Gonzalez wanted to be traded by the Chiefs, although he seemed non-committal when asked about it. Last week, Gonzalez skipped the Chiefs’ voluntary minicamp.

Gonzalez — who owns NFL career records for tight ends with 916 receptions, 10,940 receiving yards, 76 receiving touchdowns and 26 100-yard receiving games — gives the Falcons another offensive weapon for QB Matt Ryan, who won Offensive Rookie of the Year honors after leading the team to the playoffs in 2008.

He won the time battle, but you have the story, so i go with this one.

Should be a good move for Ryan and the falcons.

A 2nd rounder next year isn't a bad price.

Guest Aloysius

I remember the Pats showed a lot of interest in Brad Cottam last year, who ended up getting drafted by KC. I wonder if that played a role in Pioli being willing to trade Gonzalez.

Guest Aloysius
Pettigrew's stock took a huge plunge...phily now only real choice IMO

The Jets, Bills, Ravens, and Lions have all expressed interest in Pettigrew. The Browns also attended his pro day.

Archived