THE BROWNS BOARD

Afghanistan

My brother in law is officially being deployed in December to Afghanistan. He is a medic with the Marines. Was wondering if anyone can shed some light and hopefully put my mind at ease, many in here seem to have a strong military background.

He was trying to explain his duties while in Afghanistan (obviously besides being a medic) and was explaining that he would be "protecting" an area of 150 miles in a mobile unit, basically living out of "tents"? Not sure what that means, I mean I get a good idea just not sure of objective? Not sure what the real objective is being there I guess. I couldn't even imagine trying to be a medic in the service. F-ing nerves of steel.

Any input would be great. Thanks

My brother in law is officially being deployed in December to Afghanistan. He is a medic with the Marines. Was wondering if anyone can shed some light and hopefully put my mind at ease, many in here seem to have a strong military background.

He was trying to explain his duties while in Afghanistan (obviously besides being a medic) and was explaining that he would be "protecting" an area of 150 miles in a mobile unit, basically living out of "tents"? Not sure what that means, I mean I get a good idea just not sure of objective? Not sure what the real objective is being there I guess. I couldn't even imagine trying to be a medic in the service. F-ing nerves of steel.

Any input would be great. Thanks

Actually, if he is with the Marines, he is a Navy Corpsman, not a medic. That is an Army term. Navy Corpsman/Doctors/Nurses all work with the Marine Corps. As far as the rest, I cannot say because you don't give enough information.

Actually, if he is with the Marines, he is a Navy Corpsman, not a medic. That is an Army term. Navy Corpsman/Doctors/Nurses all work with the Marine Corps. As far as the rest, I cannot say because you don't give enough information.

True that. He was in the Navy for 5 years and they pulled him over to the Marines. Sorry, not hip with the lingo. What else would you need to know?

Kosar that is a broad question mainly because of NATO and what our role is changing into...

Afghanistan depending upon which region he will be deployed too will have a direct relation to the "danger" he will be subjected to.

Bordering Iran is one thing... Bordering Pakistan is a whole different animal.... The Taliban are making pretty big pushes in Pakistan right now politically which means they pretty much are growing in strength in Afghanistan. That is a very Bad thing because they are a very effective at guerrilla warfare and can operate from Pakistan pretty much without resistance.

Being a Marine you have to know that is front line first in sort of duty. Being deployed in December it will give him time to acclimate before Spring offensives by the Taliban.

Hopefully by December NATO will be more of a peacekeeping force and we are smart enough to broker a deal with the Taliban and the central Afghanistan government.

The current objective I believe is to increase ground troop numbers to supress and control the country better because the natives dont have the capability or even the will (kind of like vietnam where a percentage of the natives were supporting the viet cong) not to mention they are profiting from controlling the opium crops....

Besides Iraq and really imho Afghanistan is more dangerous than Iraq there is not a more dangerous theatre for our troops.

This is just my opinion, I have friends their right now we dont communicate much and honestly they dont want to talk about it anyways when we do so I dont have any better info than you.

Archived