THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on the defensive front from tonights game and holy shit Nassib looks legit..

Clevfan4life

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team

2012 - #22 - cut

2013 - #6 - will be cut

2014 - #8 - could be cut

2014 - #22 - cut

2015 - #12 done nothing of note

2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement

7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.

Nope, not bad luck- bad drafting. As Ghoolie would say passing on terrific talent (Julio Jones) to take a shot on mid level talent. Quantity over quality hasn't worked- yet. Just more of the same old, same old. Let's hope Coleman reverses the trend. The Browns better knock their draft out of the park next year- because if Carson Wentz turns into a stud- the FO will be kicking themselves in the ass- again.

Manziel, Gilbert, Mingo, Shelton, and Erving absolutely destroyed us. It's obviously too early to write off Shelton or Erving, but the early indications are far from good. Shelton was drafted at the number 12 slot for crying out loud. That's an impact pick, and we have not gotten the impact from him. Again, it's early, but watching him get his ass whipped by Mack hurt for so many reasons. Yes, I know Mack is elite, but I wanted to see Shelton win A FEW battles!

Mud has said repeatedly that we don't have defensive talent. It's difficult to argue with him. We hear over and over how preseason defenses are "vanilla" and don't display too much of what they want to run. I can't even use that as an excuse because NT doesn't exactly have a ton of variation. Hue Jackson left Shelton in a little longer against the Falcons than some other starters. It's easy to see why. He wants to know what the guy can do.

Early indications of our defense's ability to tackle are not good. We will probably get chewed up on the ground (again) and this will keep our offense to fewer possessions. An early 3 and out by the offense could quite literally put us in an awful hole. It's difficult to sit here and say I feel optimistic about the defense, and I'm an optimistic guy. We've had 2 friggin preseason games, and I don't want to get TOO upset, but I certainly want to see better tackling, more penetration, and more early punts against the Bucs. A good performance in this pivotal 3rd exhibition game would go a long way for this unit. We get sliced and diced by Winston this Friday (and he looks incredible btw),AND we get torched in the ground...it's going to be a long 2 weeks before we play at Philadelphia and obviously lose because we don't win 1st games.

Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

Did you start a fan club?

Because I was retaining his rights as the only Penn Stater on here who followed his breakout year last season.

Sign me up for the newsletter.

Z

Former #8 and #6 players overall could be cut though.

they played out their string though. A good GM with a clue would've already cut bait with those two. I'm guessin that is what we see in the final cuts.

Two years ago, the Browns were a team of third stringers with one or two mid level talent players and two or three backup level players.

Now, this is a team of backups with one or two star potential players and two or three mid-level talent players.

revisionist history.... as the same could be said 4, 6 and 10 years ago etc.

don't act like there is anything new going on except the faces making the decisions.

revisionist history.... as the same could be said 4, 6 and 10 years ago etc.

don't act like there is anything new going on except the faces making the decisions.

We had a 26 year old dual threat, #2 overall, Heisman trophy winning, former NFL OROY as our QB? We had a young, 6'3" former Pro Bowl recover who led the NFL in yards? We had another young, 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed?

We had a widely respected NFL coordinator with a non-losing NFL HC record as our HC?

Forgive me, I don't really remember us having that all together in one year.

If you think this group doesn't inspire more confidence than the likes of Brandon Weeden or Mohamed Massaquoi, then I don't know what to tell you.

they played out their string though. A good GM with a clue would've already cut bait with those two. I'm guessin that is what we see in the final cuts.

Problem with cutting first round picks before their rookie contracts are up means a relatively big cap hit. Mingo's hit is $5 million, Gilbert's hit is $3 million. For those that want Kruger gone it's $7.7 million. I'd say if he doesn't pick it up Gilbert is gone.

We had a 26 year old dual threat, #2 overall, Heisman trophy winning, former NFL OROY as our QB? We had a young, 6'3" former Pro Bowl recover who led the NFL in yards? We had another young, 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed?

We had a widely respected NFL coordinator with a non-losing NFL HC record as our HC?

Forgive me, I don't really remember us having that all together in one year.

If you think this group doesn't inspire more confidence than the likes of Brandon Weeden or Mohamed Massaquoi, then I don't know what to tell you.

Uh.....didn't we actually make it to the playoffs in the 90s? Have a RB make the cover of madden? Draft every sure thing since the beginning of time and ur telling me now, NOW things r looking up because we have someone that WAS good, someone that might be good and a new coaching staff and FO that can do the skiddelly scat better than the last?

HA they must see u walking up the street from a mile away, sucker.

Uh.....didn't we actually make it to the playoffs in the 90s? Have a RB make the cover of madden? Draft every sure thing since the beginning of time and ur telling me now, NOW things r looking up because we have someone that WAS good, someone that might be good and a new coaching staff and FO that can do the skiddelly scat better than the last?

HA they must see u walking up the street from a mile away, sucker.

The 90's were neither 4, 6 nor 10 years ago.

What else did we have when Hillis was here? When had every sure thing we've drafted actually performed?

We have a QB and a WR who have PROVEN they can dominate at this level. When have we had that duo since the return?

The closest thing we've had to an NFL QB who proved it on the big stage was when we signed a 50 year old Jake Delhomme.

If you can't see the difference between the two, there's no hope for you. Then again...we already knew that.

The 90's were neither 4, 6 nor 10 years ago.

What else did we have when Hillis was here? When had every sure thing we've drafted actually performed?

We have a QB and a WR who have PROVEN they can dominate at this level. When have we had that duo since the return?

The closest thing we've had to an NFL QB who proved it on the big stage was when we signed a 50 year old Jake Delhomme.

If you can't see the difference between the two, there's no hope for you. Then again...we already knew that.

there is a difference, but let me know when it equals wins in the win column.

different stars (laughing)

different coaches (some)

different FO

the problem is in drafting. hell we all thought maasaquoi would eventually break through. same with mingo, gilbert and we all know the fiasco that was johnny football.

love people's optimism, but until something actually really changes, put me down as underwhelmed.

oh btw, i find it amazing that the only time you stick your head out of your cave is to either call someone old or to pound on your chest because something you championed looks good for the browns (a rookie DE in preseason). sure nassib looks good. given the rest of the bums playing that position he should be a starter game 2. but let's not forget all the bums you proclaimed great who are either in rehab or cashiering at the sack n suds. manziel wasn't it?

there is a difference, but let me know when it equals wins in the win column.

different stars (laughing)

different coaches (some)

different FO

the problem is in drafting. hell we all thought maasaquoi would eventually break through. same with mingo, gilbert and we all know the fiasco that was johnny football.

love people's optimism, but until something actually really changes, put me down as underwhelmed.

oh btw, i find it amazing that the only time you stick your head out of your cave is to either call someone old or to pound on your chest because something you championed looks good for the browns (a rookie DE in preseason). sure nassib looks good. given the rest of the bums playing that position he should be a starter game 2. but let's not forget all the bums you proclaimed great who are either in rehab or cashiering at the sack n suds. manziel wasn't it?

Something has changed ... The Cavs, the Indians ... Maybe Hue is the change the Browns need.

Two guys we have drafted look like the real deal for a change Coleman and Nassib ... That's a start. And I am only going by practice accounts on Coleman but everyone who has seen him live says he's electric. Refreshing change.

I'm going with the optimists this year. Nothing better in sports than being young and promising ... We could be that for a change.

Z

well i'm glad at least 2 out of the 14 picks show something in practice and preseason. lol.

hey if the browns double it and 4 players turn out to be on the squad in 3 years that's a whopping 29% return on their 2016 investment!!!

WHOOPPEE!! breaking all kinds of records!

well i'm glad at least 2 out of the 14 picks show something in practice and preseason. lol.

hey if the browns double it and 4 players turn out to be on the squad in 3 years that's a whopping 29% return on their 2016 investment!!!

WHOOPPEE!! breaking all kinds of records!

Well, I'm not saying all the rest are busts, Dickbreath, I'm just saying it's nice to have some rookies with a "buzz" for a change ... Other than Thomas and Haden we haven't too many "we nailed one" camps ... Let alone two or more.

Join the fun. We can draft now and we have a real coach.

Z

Still constraining my enthusiasm here, but am seeing signs...

I've liked Carl (see, first name basis) since the day he was born........ I win.

I looked at his tape after the draft and thought, "Kid has potential. This could turn out to be a pretty good pick."

Color me last...

Something has changed ... The Cavs, the Indians ... Maybe Hue is the change the Browns need.

Two guys we have drafted look like the real deal for a change Coleman and Nassib ... That's a start. And I am only going by practice accounts on Coleman but everyone who has seen him live says he's electric. Refreshing change.

I'm going with the optimists this year. Nothing better in sports than being young and promising ... We could be that for a change.

Z

Practice? Did you say practice Z? Let me remind you of that Training Camp sensation we had a few years back -Ben Gay. Until I see Coleman on the field tearing it up in a couple of games that actually count- I'll reserve judgement. How the Cavs and Indians did\ are doing has zero relationship to how well- or poorly the Browns may or may not do.

Well, I'm not saying all the rest are busts, Dickbreath, I'm just saying it's nice to have some rookies with a "buzz" for a change ... Other than Thomas and Haden we haven't too many "we nailed one" camps ... Let alone two or more.

Join the fun. We can draft now and we have a real coach.

Z

Maybe we can draft, and maybe Hue is a real coach. Ghoolie doesn't think so. :)

Practice? Did you say practice Z? Let me remind you of that Training Camp sensation we had a few years back -Ben Gay. Until I see Coleman on the field tearing it up in a couple of games that actually count- I'll reserve judgement. How the Cavs and Indians did\ are doing has zero relationship to how well- or poorly the Browns may or may not do.

Maybe we can draft, and maybe Hue is a real coach. Ghoolie doesn't think so. :)

Fuck Ghoolie, Fuck you (with all due respect) and fuck Mix ... We are nailing the young guys, we nailed the coach, and pretty sure we nailed the QB. People jumped all over Johnny (hated him)but they're not jumping on this?

Sorry ... This feels real, don't be late to the party.

Z

We are nailing the young guys, we nailed the coach, and pretty sure we nailed the QB.

don't be late to the party.

Z

uh, what kind of party? a sausage party?

let me guess: you had a party with cake and cock.... and you're all out of cake.

uh, what kind of party? a sausage party?

let me guess: you had a party with cake and cock.... and you're all out of cake.

It's cute to be the sarcastic hater of a team that always disappoints. But Ghoolie doesn't need a lapdog, you used to have real opinions, let's hear them...

Our draft:

Hue Jackson;

Rg3:

Z

lol... all out of cake...

That you will take the Browns Week 1 in Survivor is a given, Z... as is a spread beat in Pick 'Em.

So the real question is the over/under for Browns on your League 1 Fantasy team...

I'm setting the opening line at 3.5.

Archived