THE BROWNS BOARD

Refugees sue school in PA, claim there school 'isn't good enough'

our legal system is going to break with all these frivolous lawsuits over every damn imagined "offense".

STFU and move. STFU and go back to your own country. It's a free country, but you don't have the right

to force everybody else to kiss your refugee asses.

Alright I'm going to play devils advocate here ...I think they might have an argument that their children are being placed in a school for troubled students. Are their children troublemakers or is there another reason they were placed in a school for trouble students?

I assume they may not speak english, have cultureal difficulties and need serious attention,

I suppose that fits in with the school they are going to.

With all the paperwork required federally, and by the state...

surely there is a legit paper trail documenting the reasons.

Alright I'm going to play devils advocate here ...I think they might have an argument that their children are being placed in a school for troubled students. Are their children troublemakers or is there another reason they were placed in a school for trouble students?

Good job...

The complaint alleges that the Pennsylvania School District of Lancaster either denied students access to any schooling in the district or forced them to attend Phoenix Academy, an alternative high school for "underachieving" students.

While most other students in the district attend JP McCaskey High School, the plaintiffs attended Phoenix, which is run by the for-profit education group Camelot Education. Phoenix has a 42:1 student-teacher ratio, whereas McCaskey's ratio is 14:1.

The suit lays out some striking differences between the schools:

• "The percentage of classes taught by 'highly qualified teachers,' as defined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, at McCaskey is 92% whereas 0% of the classes at Phoenix are taught by 'highly qualified teachers.'"

• "For Advanced-Placement testing, 32% of students at McCaskey take AP tests, whereas 0% of Phoenix students take AP tests."

• "According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, 'college ready' students comprise 83% of McCaskey students whereas 0% of Phoenix students are deemed 'college ready.'"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/group-refugees-suing-us-school-184334024.html

Seems like this voucher school just might not be that good, but there's a lot more back and forth in the article including claims from the education company that they aim "to accelerate" learning. Detractors claim this is simply to increase student turnover thereby increasing revenues.

our legal system is going to break with all these frivolous lawsuits over every damn imagined "offense".

STFU and move. STFU and go back to your own country. It's a free country, but you don't have the right

to force everybody else to kiss your refugee asses.

So... you don't believe in school choice... noted...

So... you don't believe in school choice... noted...Toursies

Within the public school system, no. You are erroneously referring to

school choice as within public schools. That isn't the definition of the term.

Do you wear a pink tutu when you dance?

School choice is a term or label given to a wide array of programs offering students and their families alternatives to publicly providedschools, to which students are generally assigned by the location of their family residence.

I assume they may not speak english, have cultureal difficulties and need serious attention,

I suppose that fits in with the school they are going to.

With all the paperwork required federally, and by the state...

surely there is a legit paper trail documenting the reasons.

And if that is the case and they are treated no better or worse than any other students than I am OK with it. It was just a fairness issue I was seeing.

oh, if it is a fairness issue, somebody in the school system is in trouble -

I highly doubt that, though. We'll see I guess.

Teachers do so much legally required paperwork, it should be a national

debate over how education is getting lost in the paper shuffle.

oh, if it is a fairness issue, somebody in the school system is in trouble -

I highly doubt that, though. We'll see I guess.

Teachers do so much legally required paperwork, it should be a national

debate over how education is getting lost in the paper shuffle.

The article doesn't state the reason why they got sent to that school...that would be nice to know for the reader..it very well could be because of a language barrier or cultural or some other valid reason

The students, who range in age from 17 to 21, are from Somalia, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Burma. woody

You really think that they are all fluent in english ?

So... you don't believe in school choice... noted...Toursies

Within the public school system, no. You are erroneously referring to

school choice as within public schools. That isn't the definition of the term.

Do you wear a pink tutu when you dance?

School choice is a term or label given to a wide array of programs offering students and their families alternatives to publicly providedschools, to which students are generally assigned by the location of their family residence.

My mistake for thinking when there are two options and you are forced to take one of them you were not given a choice.

At least I know now that you accept wiki as the terminology authority... noted for future reference.

Archived