THE BROWNS BOARD

The IYF2GC AR-15 Thread

calfoxwc

it's talking about the major brands, his personal reviews on what type would be good.

two stage trigger pulls...cost, what he likes the best. Says it depends on how you shoot.

I'd be shooting groundhogs across maybe 5 - 7 acres. But if I ever get out west, it would

be cool to go on a hunt for mountain goat or elk or something.... but I'd want it for the

freezer... how would I get it back home ?

I don't have one yet. I read where the ATF is illegally accruing a db of purchasers of guns...

I'd like to know who initiated that...(the same dirtbag that puts radicals in charge of all his depts)...

I'm researching. would rather buy one privately, ..... have one built privately. Not sure if I would

have the know-how to build one myself. But, I want to have one before the clintonorc'srearend

has a chance to become president...

There's barrel lengths, barrel types, triggers, uppers and lowers, stocks, scopes..I found a big book on em

at a garage sale, for two bucks, going to read that, haven't started yet.

A friend's son, who is now a gun nut, an atv nut, fisherman nut, and a camping nut (it's

all blamed on me and the Wife LOL), and is a few years out of college... knows a guy

who built a fancy one, and has over 2,000 bucks in it...

just the first fraction of the long article, that also has video's in it.

"USA –-(Ammoland.com)- Shooters get touchy about their AR15 trigger. And for good reason. The trigger is the key interface between the shooter and the gun. But what is the Best AR15 Trigger ?
The trigger “tells” the gun when to fire the shot. The more control and confidence a shooter has in a trigger, the more likely the shooter is to get hits. And as one old saying goes, “only hits count.”
Gunsmiths have probably been doing trigger jobs for about as long as guns have had triggers. And for most types of firearms, it’s probably best to leave trigger jobs to the professionals for all sorts of reasons. But the modularity of the AR-15 means that just about anyone can easily install a brand new, specialized trigger. Simply pushing out a couple of pins, removing the original trigger group, dropping in the new trigger group, and pushing the pins back in.
The ease with which AR15 trigger can be changed is both wonderful and awful. Wonderful because it’s so easy to get whatever the trigger you want, and awful because there are so many triggers out there. Making it hard to know which trigger you actually need.
The type of shooting you intend to do the most with your Black Rifle matters a lot when it comes to choosing the best trigger. If you’re shooting High Power or other mid- or long-range targets, a two-stage match trigger might work great. If you’re shooting 3Gun, you probably want a sport-specific trigger with a short reset and a light, but not too-light single-stage pull. This pull will help you burn through the close targets quickly, keep your stage time down, but still give you enough control to connect with shots farther out. And if your type of shooting is mostly of the tactical or military variety, with lives at stake, a robust, proven and non-adjustable combat-style trigger might be the best.
Advertisement
And that’s just three kinds of shooting. There are many, many more. And just about as many triggers to consider. For example, if you look at the Brownells website, you’ll around 15 different models ( http://goo.gl/zBHPf6 ) of Geiselle triggers alone.
So how do you make sense of it all? By reading and researching, and trying guns with different types of triggers. And finally getting some triggers, installing them, and shooting them a lot.
With all that to think about (whew!) I’ve made my own personal list of my five favorite AR-15 triggers. But remember, this is my list, and based around the type of shooting I prefer to do. Your list might be totally different for all sorts of good reasons. And there are lots of probably great triggers out there that I just don’t have any experience with. Thus cannot say anything about them, like the very popular AR Gold Modular Triggers ( http://goo.gl/8mljyI ) . They get great reviews, and shooters seem to love them – I’ve just never had a chance to try one out in person.
So here are my personal Top 5 favorite AR-15 triggers, with a few reasons as to why I rank them in this particular order.
5. Original Mil-Spec Factory Trigger.
Even though lots of AR shooters can’t wait to drop in a new trigger, there’s a lot to be said for the plain-Jane, factory original. Yes, sometimes you get a creepy or gritty one, especially if you go with a manufacturer that’s not known for mil-spec parts. It works well enough, and there’s very little that can go wrong, as the design has been proven many times over. There’s not much chance it will be so light that you fire it before you intend to due to excitement or stress or adrenaline in a serious situation.
Plus, it’s non-adjustable. Many shooters fall prey to the siren call of the adjustable trigger and adjust themselves into unnecessary problems. There’s always the chance that a perfectly-adjusted trigger somehow slips out of adjustment, exactly when you need it most. Currently, I have three guns with factory original triggers and plans for some more of the same in the future.
These triggers are included with standard lower parts set ( http://goo.gl/y6DIua ) , so when you’re building a rifle, they really save you some cash. And for many kinds of shooting, they work well enough.
Mil-Spec Factory Ar15 Triggers
Mil-Spec Factory Ar15 Trigger
4. ALG Defense Enhanced Triggers
None of my guns wear ALG Defense Enhanced Triggers ( http://goo.gl/oX7kWM ) ,,, yet. But I’ve fired guns with these triggers and really like them. They are not match triggers, but are the perfected version of the standard, non-adjustable mil-spec original trigger. They have the same geometry, but are made to higher quality standards, and come with a specially hardened and smoothed-out sear contact surface to eliminate all grittiness. There’s also a nickle-boron coated version that adds a bit of built-in lubricity to further smooth everything out for a really nice predictable, repeatable trigger.
If you want the absolute best factory-original type trigger on your AR-15, this is a great choice. Of course it’s great, because ALG Defense is a spin-off from Geiselle."

it's talking about the major brands, his personal reviews on what type would be good.

two stage trigger pulls...cost, what he likes the best. Says it depends on how you shoot.

I'd be shooting groundhogs across maybe 5 - 7 acres. But if I ever get out west, it would

be cool to go on a hunt for mountain goat or elk or something.... but I'd want it for the

freezer... how would I get it back home ?

I don't have one yet. I read where the ATF is illegally accruing a db of purchasers of guns...

I'd like to know who initiated that...(the same dirtbag that puts radicals in charge of all his depts)...

I'm researching. would rather buy one privately, ..... have one built privately. Not sure if I would

have the know-how to build one myself. But, I want to have one before the clintonorc'srearend

has a chance to become president...

There's barrel lengths, barrel types, triggers, uppers and lowers, stocks, scopes..I found a big book on em

at a garage sale, for two bucks, going to read that, haven't started yet.

A friend's son, who is now a gun nut, an atv nut, fisherman nut, and a camping nut (it's

all blamed on me and the Wife LOL), and is a few years out of college... knows a guy

who built a fancy one, and has over 2,000 bucks in it...

Cal, you could seriously teach yourself how to do it from Youtube videos. The first one I built, I used Youtube videos to make sure I was on the right path. I recommend buying an complete upper for a beginner but the lower is pretty easy once you get it down.

The only part with a serial number is the lower. So you could buy a stripped lower from a private individual and then purchase the rest of the parts as you go along. That way it is off the books.

well, I would love to. Thanks for that, I think I will check out videos on it. I believe

I want it all mil-spec for standardization and quality. I don't get the optics.

That little short scope jobbie doesn't bring groundhogs closer, seems more for shooting zombies and

terorists at close range. lol

well, I would love to. Thanks for that, I think I will check out videos on it. I believe

I want it all mil-spec for standardization and quality. I don't get the optics.

That little short scope jobbie doesn't bring groundhogs closer, seems more for shooting zombies and

terorists at close range. lol

Yeah a micro dot and the associated family of optics are for easy sighting people sized targets. Won't remotely work on making groundhogs and gophers disappear.

okay, time to get back to work. dammit. My Wife called me to quietly come in to the living room...

and showed me a groundhog in the back yard. I went out and yelled at it, it ran back toward me and went

under the deck.

son of a....

dammit. Caddyshack war here i come.

You search that one up on your own haha. I can remember being a young fella and printing off the Anarchist Cookbook in the middle school library. Now I imagine you would have trouble getting a flight if you searched and downloaded that ancient book.

Hehe. Yeah i wouldnt try making that unless there was a social collapse. Just the know how. Same goes for pouring ur own brass. If you get the right form dies and precision tools it can be done just not on a large scale

okay, time to get back to work. dammit. My Wife called me to quietly come in to the living room...

and showed me a groundhog in the back yard. I went out and yelled at it, it ran back toward me and went

under the deck.

son of a....

dammit. Caddyshack war here i come.

What about a big dog that hates groundhogs?

I won't use poison or killer traps - afraid an innocent pet might happen by.

although, I've figured out a way - use the killer traps for groundhogs, but put

a fence around it so only a groundhog inside the fence can trigger it.

haven't done that yet. But I have to start nailing them every day. A neighbor bought his land,

and used traps, and killed 47 of em.

Worries me about how many we're going to have unless I eradicate em this year.

I don't want to vaporize em. The young ones are good to fry up like chicken.

And, I won't shoot a big bore around here, there are houses, and horse pastures..

I am very careful and serious about any angle I take for a shot. But for a long shot...

I'd shoot a 5.56 for sure. Except I'd have to put a real scope on it for distance shooting.

I did dump money into a Geiselle trigger because I do like having a nice smooth trigger. That said, just about any trigger can be smoothed out over time.

I'm a single stage guy myself.

I just popped out my mil-spec and dremel'ed the hell out of it and it's as smooth as I need it to be.

Archived