THE BROWNS BOARD

We got any Preppers here?

Clevfan4life

Oh doomsday prepper.

I tend to keep a few spare cases of water on hand, but that's about it.

Only because that one time in Toledo they had the whole "don't drink the water thing" because of algae blooms. Water literally everywhere was sold out in like a 20 mile radius and growing - eventually they were able to supply it though.

We are. Nothing elaborate. Common sense minimal prepping. Water, some stores of food...

I have a hobby of drying fruits and vegetables. It's fun, and they keep for months.

We munched on em when we took our trip to Texas (via West Munroe, saw Phil Robertson

up close at their store)...

It's a hobby. I just read a great book - The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants"...

found out that cattail heads can repel mosquitoes when burnt....

We want to take a trip out west, to Yellowstone, going camping

with friends in late Sept, want to go hiking this fall with our friends in NC.. We have firestarters,

survival equipment on a small scale. want to try making coffee with chickory roots.

We love to explore, and aren't going to go hiking and camping in 90 degree weather - that's finally over.

I don't think my 9mm would do much to stop a grizzly unless I got lucky and scared it away

with the sound... maybe several rounds in the chest. Those suckers get huge.

I'd have bear spray, no doubt.

I have enough food and water for me, the wife, and the pets for about 6 months. Lived through the water crisis from the spill in the Elk River and the madness from the power going out from the derecho and decided that being prepared was a good idea.

Yep. Same here as a result of the 2012 July derecho and hurricane Sandy, also in 2012. Plus, I and my in-law uncles,

nephews, and a couple of nieces are hunters. Lots of shotguns, high-powered rifles, and a couple of crossbows.

I've thought about crossbow hunting. A hunter, great guy, solid good hunter, hunts deer with one

on the neighbors woods. He says he'll lend me one of his bows to deer hunt this fall.

Seems like I'd rather blast one and have them dead. It bothers me that they could still run for

a good number of yards with an inaccurate hit, so, ...

He talked to me on his way out one time. I went for a walk, and he had moved to the front side

of the neighbor's woods...and my trail went right past him on our property. I walked out there

looking to stalk some squirrels, I got near the bridge over the creek, and saw him up in the tree.

I actually stood there with it getting to be dusk. And when he went to climb down and go home..

he saw me and was laughing, he couldn't believe I could walk that quiet. I love the woods, could

sit out there for hours if the Wife was running flip house errands or visiting her Dad in Texas or something.

The last time was when they went to an overnight scrapbook seminar...

I have a big shoebox full of cranberry dried beans I grew last year and the year before.

Just have to soak them overnight...they are excellent.

I have a gutter-fed cistern and a wateer purification system. Plus I essentially live on a farm and have a gun for hunting. I'll be ok.

Ha! All the city hoods will be coming to the country to rob you all when the shit goes down. You're nothing but a farm for the rest.

Might not be a bad idea in the event of a natural disaster. At least a few days in case there is an issue.

That's probably true even for those who aren't paranoid. Having a gas generator and a few jugs of drinking water would probably be a godsend when electricity goes out for a few days which is not at all uncommon even in civilized areas.

WSS

We don't really get natural disasters here. The most is a bit of flooding - because, you know, it rains a lot - but I don't remember the last time the power went out, I don't think it's ever been out even for a day, and water/gas have never been out. The UK isn't on a fault line, so we get no earthquakes or volcanoes, there are no hurricanes or anything like that.

It would be a terrorist attack that broke down the whole infrastructure but honestly no terrorists have even come close to doing anything like that in a developed nation, and there's so much redundancy built in to the networks that it would be hard to take everything down at once.

We don't really get natural disasters here. The most is a bit of flooding - because, you know, it rains a lot - but I don't remember the last time the power went out, I don't think it's ever been out even for a day, and water/gas have never been out. The UK isn't on a fault line, so we get no earthquakes or volcanoes, there are no hurricanes or anything like that.

It would be a terrorist attack that broke down the whole infrastructure but honestly no terrorists have even come close to doing anything like that in a developed nation, and there's so much redundancy built in to the networks that it would be hard to take everything down at once.

We had our water poisoned by an accidental chemical leak. It doesn't take a tornado or earthquake to dick things up.

Sure, but I *do* live in London. And even when I lived out in the villages, the water never went off. It's happened up north in the sticks after some severe flooding, but that gets restored in a few days and there's pretty good support in that time in terms of distributing water. It doesn't turn in to the hunger games!

Sure, but I *do* live in London. And even when I lived out in the villages, the water never went off. It's happened up north in the sticks after some severe flooding, but that gets restored in a few days and there's pretty good support in that time in terms of distributing water. It doesn't turn in to the hunger games!

*flash forward to CNN shots of Chris huddled under a blanket and waiting for his food/water rations after an unfortunate event*

Archived