THE BROWNS BOARD

Safe space/trigger warning backlash

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/08/25/u-chicago-warns-incoming-students-not-expect-safe-spaces-or-trigger-warnings

It appears more universities are starting to put an end to the practice of trying to create safe spaces and to give out trigger warnings. Kids should have to be suggested to a whole spectrum of ideas. That is how you figure shit out.

academic freedom allows teachers to issue "trigger warnings" ????

What a crock. A prof acts out in his bias, and that's "academic freedom" ?

academic freedom allows teachers to issue "trigger warnings" ????

What a crock. A prof acts out in his bias, and that's "academic freedom" ?

Their class, their rules. Avoiding those professors you disagree with is no different than asking for a safe space. It goes both ways. I am sure there are liberal kids who have had to take classes from conservative professors (have seen this several times) who they disagreed with. The problem arises if the prof lets that disagreement reflect on their grading.

True. I just don't see the pushing of limits. Like, can a teacher ask who the students voted for,

and if they didn't vote for who he/she wanted them to, their grade could suffer? I've had that happen

to me in the past. Did a paper, took the conservative approach about the anti-war movement, and got

a D-.

Went to the Dean, gave him a copy of it the grade blanked out, and he said the next day, that even if

he were to be a bigoted bastard, he couldn't give it less than a B-. And, he didn't know the prof, but

he guessed right.

The prof was actually a part of the anti-war movement. Lesson learned for freshman me. He said seemed

more and more that conservative students have trouble keeping good grades... and said he just didn't say that.

True. I just don't see the pushing of limits. Like, can a teacher ask who the students voted for,

and if they didn't vote for who he/she wanted them to, their grade could suffer? I've had that happen

to me in the past. Did a paper, took the conservative approach about the anti-war movement, and got

a D-.

Went to the Dean, gave him a copy of it the grade blanked out, and he said the next day, that even if

he were to be a bigoted bastard, he couldn't give it less than a B-. And, he didn't know the prof, but

he guessed right.

The prof was actually a part of the anti-war movement. Lesson learned for freshman me. He said seemed

more and more that conservative students have trouble keeping good grades... and said he just didn't say that.

In the sciences and business (working on an MBA right now), you get wayy more conservative profs. They are still pragmatic but they are focused on just the facts and not how something makes you feel.

eh. I was a speech major/english minor, secondary education. Shoulda known better.

I was going to change that and go into teaching general science...and English...

Quit school and went into the AF to help my family pay their bills during an expected very bad strike.

From my personal experiences, the whole trigger warnings culture on campus arises from mostly from students majoring in the humanities, i.e. the arts, social and political sciences, gender studies and other soft sciences.

Most of the students in the hard sciences, where I study, tend not to put much stock in it.

From my personal experiences, the whole trigger warnings culture on campus arises from mostly from students majoring in the humanities, i.e. the arts, social and political sciences, gender studies and other soft sciences.

Most of the students in the hard sciences, where I study, tend not to put much stock in it.

I'd guess that's an accurate assessment.

WSS

Archived