THE BROWNS BOARD

Are You Happy with the Draft Picks So far ?

BrownIndian

What do you think about our draft picks so far ?

RD PK (OVR) NAME POS SCHOOL

1 21 (21) A. Mack OT California

2 4 (36) B. Robiskie WR Ohio St

2 18 (50) M. Massaquoi WR Georgia

2 20 (52) D. Veikune DE Hawaii

We traded down thrice and chose players we never were projected to pick .... and they dont seems like big name players or college excitements. While Im happy with the trade down, I still feel that we have not got anyone that has me excited ! Hopefully i will be proved wrong.

What do you guys think ? Should we have picked someone different or addressed some other need ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you none of these players really are the high profile type players, but with that said maybe that is a good thing. It seems a lot of the past years we picked up people we thought were sure fire hall of famers and what has it got us? I guess we just have to see what happens.

Its not that I dont like Robiskie or the other WR. I just thought Malaluga was a huge free fall for him to be there for us at our 2nd round pick. And we passed. Is there something about him Im missing that so many teams passed on him? And then we took ANOTHER WR with our next pick. Are we planning on getting a LB in a trade involving Edwards or DA?

Other than that, I love what we did. We went from 5 picks to start the day to 10, tied for 2nd most in the draft. Just hope we took some guys that will help us.

Hell no....This is a ridiculous draft. Walter football was right. Mangini is sure to make some goofy picks and that's exctly what he did. Only the Raiders had a worse draft.

Trade down twice to get......Alex Mack?

I like Brian Robiskie. But consider where he was drafted and who was on the board....Are you freaking kidding me? Maualuga and Butler still on the board and they draft Brian Robiskie?

Then with the the second pick in the 2nd round they reach for a 3rd round WR?

A joke. Nothing but a joke.

The last pick of the day was the best. Lets reach for a guy that was thought to be a 4th to 6th rounder. It's almost "Raider" like.

Mangini seems to be mirroring Belichick... we had 3 overall picks in the 2nd and they had 4 which for all intensive purposes we had 4 also considering the late first round pick.

Even the type of players and picks were similar.

I am ecstatic. AND WE KEEP BQ and BE something I wanted.

Rey is not a 3 down lb. All the good 3-4 teams passed as well.

I'm happy with the picks. I was hoping for a Shonn Greene type RB but oh well. Adding a second WR caught me off guard but it was a quality pick. Veikune seemed to have wow'd the staff during his visit.

PLUS we got depth at QB, DE and a STARTING SS by trading back. Don't forget that!

Its not that I dont like Robiskie or the other WR. I just thought Malaluga was a huge free fall for him to be there for us at our 2nd round pick. And we passed. Is there something about him Im missing that so many teams passed on him? And then we took ANOTHER WR with our next pick. Are we planning on getting a LB in a trade involving Edwards or DA?

Other than that, I love what we did. We went from 5 picks to start the day to 10, tied for 2nd most in the draft. Just hope we took some guys that will help us.

Am I missing something? I thought we now had 8 picks but I keep seeing 10. Don't we have a 1, 3 2s, a 4, and 3 6s?

I think if you add in the 3 players we got in the first trade:

S Abrams - we tried to sign this guy but the Jets matched it. Good pickup

DE Coleman - solid player...gives us nice depth at DE, and he is a TRUE DE!!!

QB Ratliff - this means we can afford to trade BQ or DA if we want to for picks this year AND next.

Keep in mind this is a long haul...not a sprint. We have been drafting for a sprint for WAY too long.

I know we needed a center so that pick was good for me. I think picking Robiskie at 36 is a place i would have rather of had ReyRey. At 50 i would have drafted the best Wr it would have been robiskie or Massaquoi. At #52 we should have gotten DJ Moore.

That would have looked like: #21- Mack , #36- Rey Maualuga #50- Robiskie/Massaquoi #52- DJ Moore . Now that would have been a good draft for me.

1 21 (21) A. Mack OT California

I think he'll struggle against the bigger DTs. I mean really struggle. Super duper smart, but not as brutish as I would like.

Did not work out at the combine due to an ankle sprain.

2 4 (36) B. Robiskie WR Ohio St

Solid pick for a solid player.

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.59 seconds

Vertical Jump : 37.5 inches

3 Cone Drill : 6.72 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.19 seconds

2 18 (50) M. Massaquoi WR Georgia

Too many...uhm..."concentration issues." BE Part II?

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.66 seconds

Vertical Jump : 36.5 inches

Broad Jump : 127.0 inches

Might surprise. Fairly fluid for a DE/OLB convert. Has the strength needed to play SOLB. High motor power rusher.

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.87 seconds

Bench Press : 35.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 33.0 inches

Broad Jump : 110.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.2 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.46 second

I think if you add in the 3 players we got in the first trade:

S Abrams - we tried to sign this guy but the Jets matched it. Good pickup

DE Coleman - solid player...gives us nice depth at DE, and he is a TRUE DE!!!

QB Ratliff - this means we can afford to trade BQ or DA if we want to for picks this year AND next.

Keep in mind this is a long haul...not a sprint. We have been drafting for a sprint for WAY too long.

Abrams is merely a plug for a year and Coleman is a back up DE. Nice dpeth but that's it.

I guess this goofy FO felt we must've met ALL our defensive needs with this trade because the next three picks are offense.

But the icing on the cake...Let's pass on Maualuga and instead draft a LB that is a projected 4th to 6 rounder at #52 overall!!

My death watch for this bunch of morons has already started. I didn't like hiring Mangini when it happened and this just confirmed why I felt that way.

How Good Is Alex Mack a pick for us ?

He is a fair weather California man and Ohio chill is not - how do i put it ? his comfort zone. Did we bring this guy in for a workout ? Does the Ohio weather also bear a major question mark for the other players we drafted ?

Abrams is merely a plug for a year and Coleman is a back up DE. Nice dpeth but that's it.

I guess this goofy FO felt we must've met ALL our defensive needs with this trade because the next three pick are offense.

But the icing on the cake...Let's pass on Maualuga and instead draft a LB that is a projected 4th to 6 rounder at #52 overall!!

My death watch for this bunch of morons has already started. I didn't like hiring Mangini when it happened and this just confirmed why I felt that way.

Scouts Inc has Coleman ranked at 67, which is an average STARTER....and is best suited as a 5 technique (which he will play here).

As for Maualuga...I get the feeling that we may be going for Brinkley...or we might actually think that Beau Bell is just as good if not better than Rey Rey. Don't forget...Bell is still on this team and should be healthy this year.

Might surprise. Fairly fluid for a DE/OLB convert. Has the strength needed to play SOLB. High motor power rusher.

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.87 seconds

Bench Press : 35.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 33.0 inches

Broad Jump : 110.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.2 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.46 second

He has to be brought in to play the middle. His combine 40 was near the 4.90 range. Put him on the outside and he'll get burned in coverage all day long.

freakin' unbelievable.

I liked the trade down and getting 3 players from the Jets.

Mack with the 1st pick wasn't a pretty one but if he's able to play right away and help it's all good.

Robiskie looks to be a solid pick at a need position, Massaquoi a so so pick.

Don't know jack about Veikune but hoping Mankok knows something about him that I don't.

I was dissappointed in not picking LeShon McCoy at RB though.

I'll give the Browns a B- grade for the first day.

He has to be brought in to play the middle. His combine 40 was near the 4.90 range. Put him on the outside and he'll get burned in coverage all day long.

freakin' unbelievable.

When espn showed his stats and i saw that 40 time i thought the same thing. Espn is stupid sometimes to think he will play outside linebacker. He would get killed if he is put into coverage against the likes of Witten or Winslow.

Guest Masters
When espn showed his stats and i saw that 40 time i thought the same thing. Espn is stupid sometimes to think he will play outside linebacker. He would get killed if he is put into coverage against the likes of Witten or Winslow.

OLB is not usually the first guy to cover a TE, let alone the likes of a Witten or a Winslow. They get picked up by a LB or a saftey.

I'm not sure what's wrong with getting 7 players out of one day, and 3 of them with NFL experience. Our need is bodies, not missing links. I would have liked to have Rey M, but a TON of teams passed on him over and over again, so we had a lot of company there.

Also, I like the way they kept Quinn, drafted a center to improve protection, and then some weapons to throw to.

I bet we get a draft grade of B as we didn't get carried away with glam and glitz, and stuck to the game plan of filling needs.

Scouts Inc has Coleman ranked at 67, which is an average STARTER....and is best suited as a 5 technique (which he will play here).

He's 30 years old and probably slowing a great deal. Plus I think the Browns take a huge cap hit with him. I don't know the details behind his contract but I know he signed a big one after his one and only good season. The 2007 season.

There is no long term vision when they acquired Coleman. He like Elam are short term plugs.

I'm not sure what's wrong with getting 7 players out of one day, and 3 of them with NFL experience. Our need is bodies, not missing links. I would have liked to have Rey M, but a TON of teams passed on him over and over again, so we had a lot of company there.

Also, I like the way they kept Quinn, drafted a center to improve protection, and then some weapons to throw to.

I bet we get a draft grade of B as we didn't get carried away with glam and glitz, and stuck to the game plan of filling needs.

I agree with ur statement which i bolded, But we landed up drafting players we might have had in lower round too .. i mean Massaquoi in Round 2 ? It is not the acquisition of more draft picks and players that has me bummed but the players we drafted at such high position. And 2 WR's ? come on ! Even if we were to trade Edwards for future draft picks neither of these two could be our No 1.

Here's hoping that Edwards and Lewis repeat 07 and Jerome Harrison and Steptoe Step up !

He's 30 years old and probably slowing a great deal. Plus I think the Browns take a huge cap hit with him. I don't know the details behind his contract but I know he signed a big one after his one and only good season. The 2007 season.

There is no long term vision when they acquired Coleman. He like Elam are short term plugs.

The Jets guys are a bunch of throw-ins for depth. I like Elam but he isn't a longterm solution to me. Ratliff is a #3.

I couldn't be more down on mangini. Like the trade-downs, but you have to take the right f-ing players to make it work. 4 piles of shit isn't any better than 2 piles of shit. In fact, it's probably worse.

I'll take you up on that bet. My guess is Kiper will say it's a C minus or D.

Two WR's in a row and one was a big time reach in the second round.

The last pick of the second round was someone Kiper probably had going between the 4th and 6th.

He'll give the Browns a very low grade.

Archived