THE BROWNS BOARD

Colin Kaepernick

One Post

And you don't think that's a bit excessive? I hear a lot about how democrats are trying to 'regulate' every day life and then you get shit like that?

Of course I thought it was excessive but there was a remedy. I could have a beard and find a new employer. I am making the point that private employers set these rules. The free market ultimately decides though because if an employer has too many unpopular rules for employees they face a higher turnover of employees and costs related to training new employees to replace them.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except the NFL isn't really a free market though, is it? If you're a guy like Kaepernick, you can choose to play for the NFL, or the Arena league. Not exactly like for like.

The NFL is the complete antithesis of the free-market capitalism republicans love to claim the country is built on, yet stands as the absolute pinnacle of the american national sport. It's amusing, really, but generally unimportant. It's the same with everything. Why would you have two leagues when you could combine in to a single, better league?

We really went back to the cowboys thing? I thought that was all resolved ...

How would you like to see him protest? This seems to be working

I'm not sure anybody knows how they want him to protest. They disagree with him so disagree with his protest in whichever format.

How exactly should he protest though?

Any number of positive ways from financial support for causes he supports to personally working with youths in inner cities. You name it. He is in a position where he could do a lot of good instead of refusing to stand during the national anthem and/or wearing socks with cops with pig faces.

I think a lot of sports fans just don't want to be bothered with political or racial issues. I don't personally care about his protest at all. He can do whatever he wants.

There it is. People want to put sports people in to the sports people boxes and if they try to do anything outside that scope then outrage.

Any number of positive ways from financial support for causes he supports to personally working with youths in inner cities. You name it. He is in a position where he could do a lot of good instead of refusing to stand during the national anthem and/or wearing socks with cops with pig faces.

And how exactly do you consider that as protest?

Again I don't think the guy should be punished. But again again I think he's an asshole and I wouldn't personally buy any product he endorses.

I also agree with Chris that I think the NFL fucked up on this one [though we may well may have different reasoning behind that] hiding behind the rule about advertising on a uniform. I expect that because they are afraid of pissing off the largely negro population of the league who probably includes a significant percentage who hate white people and police officers to begin with.

WSS

He's donating $1 million dollars of his own salary, donating all the proceeds of his jersey sales to charity, and has gotten the owner of SF to donate $1 million dollars as well. He's working to go out to the communities now and has planned events around the football schedule.

He's literally doing the things you people want him to do while peacefully protesting. He's started a national dialogue without rioting in the streets and is backing up his actions with stern, appropriate actions as well. I still don't agree with him, but what the fuck else do you want him to do? This is literally what makes America so great.

doing all that, why be an ASSWHOLE and ALIENATE a whole LOT of people

who would otherwise agree with him?

he's an ASSWHOLE, and now some high school students want to follow his

insulting/alienating league and copy him.

Of course, they don't do anything constructive for their phoney "cause/victimhood".

makes problem worse.

NFL Commish Says He Supports Kaepernick, Might Punish Players Who Honor 9/11

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he supports Colin Kaepernick for sitting during the national anthem, yet at the same time might punish players who honor 9/11.

At the same time Goodell is supporting Kaepernick he might also fine players who wear shoes supporting the victims of the deadly terrorists attacks on September 11, 2001.

This isn’t the first time Goodell and the NFL have failed to show patriotism through example. The NFL also once didn’t honor veterans unless they were paid to do it.

So commissioner Goodell is a loud and vocal supporter of Kaepernick’s right to disrespect America, but he might punish several players who honored the thousands who died on 9/11. It doesn’t get much more un-American than that.

He's donating $1 million dollars of his own salary, donating all the proceeds of his jersey sales to charity, and has gotten the owner of SF to donate $1 million dollars as well. He's working to go out to the communities now and has planned events around the football schedule.

He's literally doing the things you people want him to do while peacefully protesting. He's started a national dialogue without rioting in the streets and is backing up his actions with stern, appropriate actions as well. I still don't agree with him, but what the fuck else do you want him to do? This is literally what makes America so great.

20160828_kap4.jpg

At the same time Goodell is supporting Kaepernick he might also fine players who wear shoes supporting the victims of the deadly terrorists attacks on September 11, 2001.

Remember when we had that chat the other day about the NFL being very strict on putting anything on the uniforms? Then it was the cowboys/police on the helmets, today it's 9/11 stuff on the shoes. Consistent. The alternative is to have whatever the players want on the shoes (and I'm guessing you might not approve of every message), or for the NFL to decide what players can and can't wear.

You'll get SJWs from both sides crying foul if that happens.

Remember when we had that chat the other day about the NFL being very strict on putting anything on the uniforms? Then it was the cowboys/police on the helmets, today it's 9/11 stuff on the shoes. Consistent. The alternative is to have whatever the players want on the shoes (and I'm guessing you might not approve of every message), or for the NFL to decide what players can and can't wear.

You'll get SJWs from both sides crying foul if that happens.

Foul!

636083272987356519-AP-49ers-Camp-Footbal

OBF, don't give me the sad veteran nonsense. I come from literally three generations of military family. My great grandfather served in Alaska well before it was even a recognized state for goodness sake. I work with student veterans on a daily basis. The point being, you aren't going to find anyone who cares more service men and women than I do.

This isn't about that at all though so stop it. This is about a guy who is using his constitutional right (and that thingy those military people fight for) to start a dialogue on a real issue in this country. Plenty of veterans, I'd even say the majority of veterans and military folk, are okay with what he's doing. He's made it crystal clear it's not about service people, and it's not. If you used critical thinking for more than 2 seconds you'd realize that. If he was burning flags while yelling fuck the military it'd be one thing. To take a knee and peacefully protest is something completely different.

OBF, don't give me the sad veteran nonsense. I come from literally three generations of military family. My great grandfather served in Alaska well before it was even a recognized state for goodness sake. I work with student veterans on a daily basis. The point being, you aren't going to find anyone who cares more service men and women than I do.

This isn't about that at all though so stop it. This is about a guy who is using his constitutional right (and that thingy those military people fight for) to start a dialogue on a real issue in this country. Plenty of veterans, I'd even say the majority of veterans and military folk, are okay with what he's doing. He's made it crystal clear it's not about service people, and it's not. If you used critical thinking for more than 2 seconds you'd realize that. If he was burning flags while yelling fuck the military it'd be one thing. To take a knee and peacefully protest is something completely different.

It is NOT a constitutional right. All the NFL has to do is what the NBA already does as a private business and make standing for the national anthem mandatory for all players.

It is NOT a constitutional right. All the NFL has to do is what the NBA already does as a private business and make standing for the national anthem mandatory for all players.

I'm making sure you are saying, out loud and in print, that the right to peacefully protest is not a constitutional right. I want to make sure then you literally have no idea what the first amendment is or what it stands for.

The NFL has made it's decision and it doesn't agree with you. They agree that letting someone exercise their constitutional, God given right as an American is more important. Get over yourself.

I'm making sure you are saying, out loud and in print, that the right to peacefully protest is not a constitutional right. I want to make sure then you literally have no idea what the first amendment is or what it stands for.

The NFL has made it's decision and it doesn't agree with you. They agree that letting someone exercise their constitutional, God given right as an American is more important. Get over yourself.

Get over yourself. If it was a constitutional right the NBA would have been sued by now for having a mandatory policy of all players standing for the national anthem. What Kaepernick is doing is offensive and disrespectful to many people. What is standing for the national anthem anyway but a show of respect for this country? There is no other message being sent when someone refuses to stand for the national anthem but one of disrespect.

The photo of the Marine trying to stand with no legs may mean nothing to you but it means a lot to me.

And we've been down the uniform modification road a dozen times...

That answer isn't changing. It doesn't make the NFL hypocritical. Just stop it.

Aren't socks with cops with pig faces a uniform modification? I don't know if that is breaking NFL rules or not to be honest but if it is why was there no talk from Goodell about a fine over that?

Archived