THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Make a Date: Josh McCown

sdballis

So now that there have been some injuries and some QB situations are even more far from stable, does McCown stay with us or do we ship him to one of those QB needy teams? Off the top of my head...

Broncos - Trevor Siemian is starting over Mark Sanchez. No, that is not a typo.

Cowboys - Breaking news!! Romo is hurt and will miss a good chunk of the season. Dak Prescott looks like a player, but do they really want to start him week 1?? Also, is Romo going to be up for mentoring duties while rehabbing his injury?

Rams - Great D. Great run game. And... Keenum or Goff? I'd like to think McCown could manage that team better than either of their current options. It's a playoff team with ANY competent QB under center.

49ers - Gabbert seems to have the nod over the now-controversial Kaepernick. Yes, THAT Gabbert. Even if Gabbert does start, they don't have any veteran presence in the QB room.

What do we want to happen? What do we think happens?

He's great in the lockerroom and a helluva leader. why would we get rid of him? What happens if RG3 is killed and then Kessler gets banged up? Will we bring back Spergon Wynn to QB us to the playoffs?

No, I agree with you. I think McCown is probably still the best QB on this roster and easily the best back-up in the league. But obviously our plan is to roll with RG3 and hope he pans out; no reason to invest in a 37 yr old McCown at this point. But with our FO trying to stockpile picks these next few years, who's to say they don't value a 5th rounder more than a decent backup? With their thinking, having Kessler backup just means less wins = better draft picks.

Not trying to boot McCown out by any means. Just wondering whether or not our FO is thinking along these lines.

No, I agree with you. I think McCown is probably still the best QB on this roster and easily the best back-up in the league. But obviously our plan is to roll with RG3 and hope he pans out; no reason to invest in a 37 yr old McCown at this point. But with our FO trying to stockpile picks these next few years, who's to say they don't value a 5th rounder more than a decent backup? With their thinking, having Kessler backup just means less wins = better draft picks.

Not trying to boot McCown out by any means. Just wondering whether or not our FO is thinking along these lines.

The idea is to try and win now....

if we try to pull a colts suck for luck that's bullshit.

The idea is to try and win now....

if we try to pull a colts suck for luck that's bullshit.

Win now? Did you say win now? Go in the dumpster for Deshawn. We might not even need to do so on purpose.

Regarding McCown, I say keep him. (unless the Cowboys make a crazy offer) The way the o-line has been playing, we're going to need him sooner rather than later.

With two fragiles and a rookie on the roster, I would be surprised if we made any changes at all regardless of the offer. Besides no one is taking that old a QB with a concussion history off our hands. Who is that desperate?

From a value standpoint Dallas remains the only potential trade partner that makes sense to me... at least as of now. They are a viable playoff team who needs to score to win games yet has no viable vet on their roster.

That said... There's a lot of noise about Dallas wanting to sign a vet "that knows Linehan's system". While McC and he have never crossed paths, I have a hard time believing that Josh could not pick up any system quickly at this point in his career. Add that there was a parade of back-ups that failed to fill in last year... I do not know who with "system knowledge" is sitting by the phone that they had not called.

Denver seems similar... at least in terms of playoff aspirations... but with their D they merely need a game manager and they've chosen a QB path that has not been disrupted by injury. As disappointing as Sanchez has been, Siemian has been as nearly a pleasant surprise... and then there's Lynch waiting in the wings.

Any concern over wins that the loss of Josh might cost us is laughable... and it's not a matter of tanking. Does anyone honestly see us resigning McC beyond 2016? I don't... so if I can get a 4th or a conditional 5th... I pull that trigger.

So now that there have been some injuries and some QB situations are even more far from stable, does McCown stay with us or do we ship him to one of those QB needy teams? Off the top of my head...

Broncos - Trevor Siemian is starting over Mark Sanchez. No, that is not a typo.

Cowboys - Breaking news!! Romo is hurt and will miss a good chunk of the season. Dak Prescott looks like a player, but do they really want to start him week 1?? Also, is Romo going to be up for mentoring duties while rehabbing his injury?

Rams - Great D. Great run game. And... Keenum or Goff? I'd like to think McCown could manage that team better than either of their current options. It's a playoff team with ANY competent QB under center.

49ers - Gabbert seems to have the nod over the now-controversial Kaepernick. Yes, THAT Gabbert. Even if Gabbert does start, they don't have any veteran presence in the QB room.

What do we want to happen? What do we think happens?

McCown goes nowhere.

Win now? Did you say win now? Go in the dumpster for Deshawn. We might not even need to do so on purpose.

Regarding McCown, I say keep him. (unless the Cowboys make a crazy offer) The way the o-line has been playing, we're going to need him sooner rather than later.

I am not necessarily of the opinion that DeShawn Watson will be the best pro prospect at QB coming out next year. He may be the best college QB, not the best pro QB.

He's great in the lockerroom and a helluva leader. why would we get rid of him? What happens if RG3 is killed and then Kessler gets banged up? Will we bring back Spergon Wynn to QB us to the playoffs?

I'd trade him for the highest draft pick we can get from any of hte possible QB needy teams. If RGIII and Kessler go down, who cares who plays QB, the season probably isn't going anywhere anyways. It can be argued the season is going to be shitty anyways so why not trade a player that has some value while the opportunity is there.

My understanding is that all of the following QBs are still out there, available to be signed:

Tavaris Jackson

Jimmy Clausen

Matt Flynn

Josh Freeman

Bruce Gradkowski

Chad Henne

Ryan Lindley

Matt McGloin

Michael Vick

Charlie Whitehurst

TJ Yates

Now, yes, this seems to be a pile of doggie doodoo (Michael Vick pun intended), no one can say that Josh McCown has a much more stellar record than this bunch. Why would not someone who needs a veteran backup QB just not grab one of these guys off the street rather than trade a draft pick for McCown?

My understanding is that all of the following QBs are still out there, available to be signed:

Tavaris Jackson

Jimmy Clausen

Matt Flynn

Josh Freeman

Bruce Gradkowski

Chad Henne

Ryan Lindley

Matt McGloin

Michael Vick

Charlie Whitehurst

TJ Yates

Now, yes, this seems to be a pile of doggie doodoo (Michael Vick pun intended), no one can say that Josh McCown has a much more stellar record than this bunch. Why would not someone who needs a veteran backup QB just not grab one of these guys off the street rather than trade a draft pick for McCown?

McCown isn't going to the hall of fame or anything....but he's light years better than everyone on that list.

Terminating Davis' contract would seem to end any thought of trading McC...

Matt McGloin

No biggee, but Matt is currently the Raiders back up...

Maybe Dallas will be desperate enough to give JFF a chance ;)

johnny-manziel.jpg

You forgot IIRC, Johnny Boy is suspended for the first 4 games- darn that substance abuse thing. So he'd be of no use to Dallas, at least in the short term. He's been keeping a mighty low profile of late. :)

His career win pct. record as a starting QB would argue otherwise. But for right here, right now, you may be right.

I don't care about his career win pct. That's a convenient stat to use because his isn't very good. But based on what I saw with my own eyes last season, he's a better player than all of the guys on that list at this point, and he's a better teammate than most of them as well.

I don't care about his career win pct. That's a convenient stat to use because his isn't very good. But based on what I saw with my own eyes last season, he's a better player than all of the guys on that list at this point, and he's a better teammate than most of them as well.

Well, you are right....I don't think I would trade any of them for him at this point.

Archived