THE BROWNS BOARD

Cuts to 53....

Tour2ma

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/09/connor_hamlett_among_players_s.html

The Browns also plan to sign former Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan to the practice squad on Monday. A fifth-round pick of the Chiefs, he was waived this week. ESPN first reported that Hogan would be joining the practice squad.

Interesting. I know some folks here were high on him. I didn't watch any of his games, college or preseason.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing about the same number of games from Hogan & Goff, I always like Hogan better...... Poor mans Luck - a gritty/tough dude, the exact opposite of Goff. Definitely like this signing, nothing but upside.

I always enjoy reading your takes about the guys from the PAC 12. Thanks D Bone!

(NOTE: The most recent moves are at the top.)

SEPT. 4

Claimed

George Atkinson III, RB

Brien Boddy-Calhoun, DB

Marcus Burley, DB

Tyrone Holmes, DL

Corey Lemonier, LB

Waived

Trey Caldwell, DB

Cam Johnson, LB

Raheem Mostert, RB

Terrell Watson, RB

Released

Rahim Moore, DB

Signed to practice squad

Dan France, OL

Connor Hamlett, TE

Darius Jennings, WR

Kaleb Johnson, OL

Seeing about the same number of games from Hogan & Goff, I always like Hogan better...... Poor mans Luck - a gritty/tough dude, the exact opposite of Goff. Definitely like this signing, nothing but upside.

I have long been a Hogan fan. Good size, smart, & should benefit from the coaching of Hue & staff. I wanted him late in draft as a project, so glad he may end up here.

Mike

These 2 days may need to sink in, but for now our OL pass protection is a issue & nothing in 2 days has addressed it or it's depth..Lets Go to Philly. It will be tested..Go Browns!!

We have 2 more cuts to make in 4 weeks with gordon and bryant returning.

My guess is 2 of the 5 just claimed, probably one of the DB's and one of Holmes/Lemonier.

The bottom of the roster will keep evolving. And injuries happen. Things will look different five weeks from now.

Zombo

We have 2 more cuts to make in 4 weeks with gordon and bryant returning.

My guess is 2 of the 5 just claimed, probably one of the DB's and one of Holmes/Lemonier.

not going to carry 7 WRs, Hawkins will probably be the odd man out.

Maybe, but some vet presence in the WR room like Hawk would supply would be nice...

Thanks Tour! I appreciate the depth charts too. What jumps out at you most when you look at the defensive depth chart right now?

Youth...

Maybe, but some vet presence in the WR room like Hawk would supply would be nice...

Youth...

Youth and the lack of depth on the OL. Youth is good, depth not so.

Youth and the lack of depth on the OL. Youth is good, depth not so.

Well lack of OL depth in the Defensive Depth Chart is a given... ;)

But I hear you... we haven't had quality OL depth in a long time.

Well lack of OL depth in the Defensive Depth Chart is a given... ;)

But I hear you... we haven't had quality OL depth in a long time.

getting technical now are you? it did say D didn't it? Oh well OL depth still jumps out like a sore thumb. Our front line OL can't open a hole to save their lives, not sure how they are going to run the ball. For once I would love to see a dive go for more than 6 inches.

Hogan better than Kessler? I was surprised Hogan was only a 5th rounder.

Is that PS move official yet? Haven't seen anything yet.

getting technical now are you? it did say D didn't it? Oh well OL depth....

Since I are (or was) an Engineer, it's what I do. Just reflecting the fact that my "youth" answer was in response to a question about the D. No offense meant...

Hard to look at either side of the ball and find "depth" of any certain quality and only a couple "maybes".

• Maybe at QB if McC plays as well as he did last year, but then the quality of our starter is debatable.
  • Maybe at WR, if a significant percentage of our Rooks pan out.

I can't believe we got Kevin Hogan! WHAT?!?! Kessler is definitely going to need more time before he ever sees the field in a real game. Hogan was a guy I thought we should take in the draft. This is good.

I can't believe we got Kevin Hogan! WHAT?!?! Kessler is definitely going to need more time before he ever sees the field in a real game. Hogan was a guy I thought we should take in the draft. This is good.

Haven't seen an announcement yet but Wikipedia says he plays for the Browns

So...

• KC waives Hogan with plans to sign him to their PS.
  • Then we claim him with plans to sign him to our PS?

OK... I'm system confused...

I know once on a PS a player can still be claimed by another team, but then he has to be on their 53-man.

Can a waived player who is claimed be signed directly to a PS? Would seem to be the case for the waiving team, but any claiming team?

Edit: Yup... there it is...

For a player who is released to be put on the practice squad, they are first put through waivers. At that point, any team can put in a claim and try to sign him, either to their active roster or to their practice squad with a higher offer.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6077941/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-deadline

So in essence PS signing is like a mini-FA... I did not know that.

Cant say there are any surprises in the cuts or players kept on the final 53....the surprise cuts and non-signings happened weeks and months ago...so, now the roster is full of potential, but little or no proven talent.....and, because of that, the "potential" will get the opportunity to play a lot, rather than sitting......so, in the famous words of Canton Mike.....we shall see.....

What jumps out at you most when you look at the defensive depth chart right now?

Nothing jumps out....except inexperience, youth and a lack of strong leadership.....and, of course, many hopefuls that we'd all like to see develop.....happy to see Scooby and Alexander made it.....should be good stories, ifn they turn out to be good....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/09/connor_hamlett_among_players_s.html

The Browns also plan to sign former Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan to the practice squad on Monday. A fifth-round pick of the Chiefs, he was waived this week. ESPN first reported that Hogan would be joining the practice squad.

Before the draft, Hogan looked better, to me, than Kessler did.....haven't seen any preseason tape on him, but it couldnt look worse than Kess did, could it???

Only 22 returning from last year's opening 53... that has to be a record. Only like 7 of 22 starters... Basically we're watching a different team this year

And going back just 3 years(Chuds 53), we have only 3 returning starters....Haden, Thomas and Greco.....so, reality is that the "rebuild" started after 2013 and the roster has been completely turned....So, we are in year 3 of major rebuild......and the core nucleus pretty much establishes that, with Shelton, Cooper, Campbell, Kirksey, Orchard, Crowell, Duke, Pryor, Erving, Meder & McCown all having grown into starters roles ....or major contributors....

Hard to look at either side of the ball and find "depth" of any certain quality and only a couple "maybes".

• Maybe at QB if McC plays as well as he did last year, but then the quality of our starter is debatable.
  • Maybe at WR, if a significant percentage of our Rooks pan out.

A whole team of maybes???......yep....

Hoping we have potential depth at maybe SS....& maybe MLB.....and maybe TE?.....my guess?.....maybe

The Cleveland Browns have signed OL Anthony Fabiano, QB Kevin Hogan, DB Ed Reynolds and DL Gabe Wright to the practice squad.

Fabiano is a 6-3, 303 pound rookie out of Harvard. Originally signed by Baltimore as an undrafted free agent, he was waived on Aug. 29. He opened 29 games for the Crimson with starts at left tackle (11), right guard (10), left guard (seven) and right tackle (one). A native of Wakefield, Mass., Fabiano graduated from Wakefield High School.

Hogan is a 6-3, 218 pound rookie out of Stanford. He was originally selected by Kansas City in the fifth round of the draft. In college, Hogan completed 727 of 1,103 passes for 9,385 yards, 75 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. He also rushed for 1,249 yards and 15 touchdowns. A native of McLean, Va., Hogan graduated from Gonzaga College High School.

Reynolds is 6-1, 207-pounds and officially in his second NFL season out of Stanford. Originally selected by Philadelphia in the fifth round of the 2014 draft, he appeared in six games last year and totaled 21 tackles, one pass defended and one interception. A native of Stoneville, N.C., Reynolds graduated from Woodberry Forest High School. His father, Ed, played 10 seasons (1983-92) in the NFL.

Wright is 6-2, 284-pounds and officially in his second NFL season out of Auburn. Originally selected by Detroit in the fourth round of the 2015 draft, he appeared in seven games last year and totaled six tackles. A native of Columbus, Ga., Wright graduated from Carver High School.

The KC fanbase isn't happy they lost him. My buddy is a Chiefs fan and steered me towards one of their forums, and there was lots of bitching about Reid.

Fabiano is a 6-3, 303 pound rookie out of Harvard. Originally signed by Baltimore as an undrafted free agent, he was waived on Aug. 29. He opened 29 games for the Crimson with starts at left tackle (11), right guard (10), left guard (seven) and right tackle (one). A native of Wakefield, Mass., Fabiano graduated from Wakefield High School.

Reynolds is 6-1, 207-pounds and officially in his second NFL season out of Stanford. Originally selected by Philadelphia in the fifth round of the 2014 draft, he appeared in six games last year and totaled 21 tackles, one pass defended and one interception. A native of Stoneville, N.C., Reynolds graduated from Woodberry Forest High School. His father, Ed, played 10 seasons (1983-92) in the NFL.

Finally a name from my culled list, Reynolds. Big hitter I can see as a SS/OLB hybrid.

Missed spotting Fabiano in BLT's cuts, but he was in the 75 list... plus he was listed as a Center. This was a kid I watched tape of pre-draft. Really good feet at LT, but lacking upper body strength at the time. Also remember getting distracted by this DeValve kid flashing at WR.

The KC fanbase isn't happy they lost him. My buddy is a Chiefs fan and steered me towards one of their forums, and there was lots of bitching about Reid.

F'em, they did not have to watch Bowe steal their $$ anymore :P.We owed them Parking Lot Pig Barbecuing Bastards :o ..Schwartz makes it not even close to even..

Oh well OL depth still jumps out like a sore thumb. Our front line OL can't open a hole to save their lives, not sure how they are going to run the ball. For once I would love to see a dive go for more than 6 inches.

The power run game has a chance? Protecting QB's not so much..Preseason Rush Stats reflect GB-77 Rushing,169 passing,4 sacks-24,5 penalties -34. ATL-102 rushing,154 passing,2 sacks-13,7 penalties-58 .TB-81 rushing, 211 passing, 8 SACKS-38,9 penalties-68 Than Chi-63 rushing, 144 passing, 3 sacks-20, 9 penalties-89. We are spinning wheels backwards with 17 sacks, 30 penalties (18 on OL)...OL It sticks out like a sore thumb. My worry was Cam, but not no more, it's RT.Pastor can't pass protect to save his ass..Step up S.Coleman or Drango PLEASE..

Archived