THE BROWNS BOARD

One thing you are looking forward to in 2016-2017 season

tinythinker

So I've been on vacation for a little over a week, and you don't tend to get much wifi in the alps. Did I miss much?! Holy fuck. Mingo, Gilbert and Lee traded. Kruger cut. Pierre 'Darling of the Board circa march 2014' Desir cut (now down to 2/6 players from 2014 draft, thanks, Ray Farmer). Punting 'battle' looked so shonky both were cut after one game - why not just go get Colquitt from the start? Then a day after cuts to 53, 5 more players cut/waived.

I will say, I think a lot of those things needed to happen. A lot of people were assuming Mingo would be cut, and Gilbert too, so to get a draft pick for both was pretty decent. Speaks volumes that out of two first round picks from the last few years and a punter, the punter got the highest trade value (again, well done FO).

I'm not convinced cutting Kurger *and* trading Mingo was a solid idea - we now have Orchard, Ogbah and Schobert as our OLBs (plus some guy we picked up off waivers listed only as 'LB' so maybe?). I do wonder if this means we see more four man fronts, where Nassib can go to DE alongside Orchard and Ogbah. I guess it means a bigger (or just some kind of) role for Armonty Bryant after suspension, at OLB?

Also we cut the running back that we got from Cinci, who everyone assumed was going to be amazing because Hue Jackson brought him over. Oh well. Meanwhile Terrence West is contending to be the starting RB in Baltimore...never mind, I think we're better with Crow/Duke, by and large.

With Desir gone, and Gaines, and K Williams (forgot to mention that shit show earlier), are we just a little light at CB? I know Desir was retraining as a safety but he could have gone back easily enough. Haden, Williams, Taylor figure to be the starters, but I honestly don't know who our 4th CB is at this point, especially since Caldwell has been waived (to PS presumably).

So, with all that in mind, what am I looking forward to? I'm coming up a bit short here to be honest. I'm looking forward to seeing if Coleman can knock off the rust and look like he apparently did in TC. I'm looking forward to seeing if TP can be a legit deep threat in real time. I'm looking forward to seeing if our O generally is up to much - but that will be evident after a few games. By which point, if it's not, it's going to be a *long* season.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nassib play, and if Nate '4th quarter of 4th preseason game' Orchard and Ogbah can combine for a semi-legitimate pass rush. My gut says no right now. But we'll see.

One thing for sure - it's boom or bust on O, and it's tepid mediocrity or bust on D.

The kids will be alright. This team should be contending for a title in like 3 years, they'll have to take there lumps early on but the youth will come together strong. As for K'wan he got cut for a 2nd time in final cuts so no big loss there.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not feeling contending for "title in three years"... playoffs maybe, but not title.

If you make the playoffs then you are contending for a title maybe not winning it but you are in fact contending. Of course this could just be another illusion of what we think is the right way to build a winner.

AFC North title?

Ah.. the lowest title...

With BLT down and struggling, and Big Ben possibly retiring sometime in the next three years there is a path, but in it will still stand Cinci. And from the age distribution of their roster, they looked poised to stand there for a while.

http://www.bengals.com/team/roster.html

Meanwhile we are entering year one of a complete rebuild... with no track record...

Better to hope for WC contention at this point IMO.

There are so many things that I'm looking forward to this season that it would be easier to list the things I'm not looking forward to than the things I am. But I'm going to try!

1) My boy Josh Gordon! There were tons of people trying to tell me that he was done and we'd never see him in on the field again. Well, he's back! After this bullshit 4 game suspension, Air Gordon Returns!

2) Terrel Pryor. He's done all the right things and simply LOOKS like a bigger Josh Gordon out there! That man has come so far and the scary thing is he's just scratching the surface of what is possible for him.

3) Corey Coleman and the Rookie WRs. This is a good group of players. Payton, Higgins and Louis are all talented and it will be fun to watch them compete for time. I'm seeing Gordon, Pryor and Coleman as the 1-2-3 but we may see a back and forth of the starters and the reserve squad. Being able to sustain drives and run the dick off a defense will work to our advantage. Get the cardio up guys, gonna be a lot of Go Routes!

4) It hasn't looked sharp as of yet but the Browns haven't had a authentic Offensive Playbook in a long time. Once this team gels I'm looking forward to seeing us utilize and execute a far superior playbook game in and out than we have had in the past. I'm looking forward to not knowing exactly what we are about to do before we do it! That's an exciting possibility.

5a) I'm looking forward to RG3 getting his hair did, I'm not a fan of the poodle ball that sticks out the bottom of his helmet.

5b) Seriously though, RG3 can be a dynamic threat, I'm looking forward to seeing how he handle a full game as the starter and whether or not he can recapture that 2012 magic.

6) I could pretty much list the entire defense; Haden coming back and being a shutdown corner. Ogbah and Nassib getting better each week. Scooby Wright playing better as he gets further away from his injury, to see him start flying around laying the wood is going to be fun to watch.

7) More wins.

8) Winning the division.

9) Playoffs.

10) Superbowl.

If you make the playoffs then you are contending for a title maybe not winning it but you are in fact contending. Of course this could just be another illusion of what we think is the right way to build a winner.

Does depend on which "title" to which you are referring.

5a) I'm looking forward to RG3 getting his hair did, I'm not a fan of the poodle ball that sticks out the bottom of his helmet.

lol... 2nded...

Does depend on which "title" to which you are referring.

Cavs, Tribe and Browns all winning a championship in the same decade could be a reality and I just might live long enough to see it.

you do that and i am THERE! woo hoo!!

As soon as I heard where it was I called an old college roomie about attending who lives North of Philly. He's up for it.

Going to look into the VIP packages the NFL offers for sale, but bracing myself for sticker shock on that route. Otherwise it seems to be either a lottery or ticket exchanges.

A lot of people ended up really happy Eddie DeBartolo didn't quit after his first 3 years.

So what.......Eddie Debartolo has zero to do with anything Browns.....zip....nada....

Or is it my turn to find some exception somewhere and point to him?.....Daniel Snyder anyone?....

See what I did there?......Haslem is Haslem and not anyone else......lets see if he's a stubborn ole man or someone who can change......

Ok...the one thing I hope to get from this season is the feeling I have today(minutes before the first game starts)....the sense that "we can win this".....thats all I want(for now)....hope...and that feeling that it aint over till its over, we gonna win this one baby!...

So, today is the opening game and one of the few I thought we'd might win....so go get it and give us something to make us believe that NEXT WEEK we gonna win too!...........

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BROWNS!

And 10-29 back to the drawing board. Well it is a young team and hopefully will progress as the season goes on, a nice last 9 game (6H 3A) stretch with a week 13 bye.

I hope RGIII is there to join in.

And 10-29 back to the drawing board. Well it is a young team and hopefully will progress as the season goes on, a nice last 9 game (6H 3A) stretch with a week 13 bye.

I hope RGIII is there to join in.

I hope RG3 is sent packing immediately.. he blows dawg nutz...

I hope RG3 is sent packing immediately.. he blows dawg nutz...

Unfortunately they don't get to re-draft after Week 1 so you stick with the veteran QB and hope your understudies are getting ready unless one of them is named Dan Marino Jr. Besides RGIII will be pressed to stay upright as it is.

Here's a thought how about a few more attempts to your TIGHT END Barnidge (yeah I'm pissed I started him and sat Jordy Nelson) seriously though it's nice having some long threats but ball control and T.O.P. is important too.

And did you see the hurries, hits, sacks? I don't care who's playing QB it's a dangerous enough game when you're not running for your life.

Unfortunately they don't get to re-draft after Week 1 so you stick with the veteran QB and hope your understudies are getting ready unless one of them is named Dan Marino Jr. Besides RGIII will be pressed to stay upright as it is.

Here's a thought how about a few more attempts to your TIGHT END Barnidge (yeah I'm pissed I started him and sat Jordy Nelson) seriously though it's nice having some long threats but ball control and T.O.P. is important too.

And did you see the hurries, hits, sacks? I don't care who's playing QB it's a dangerous enough game when you're not running for your life.

He can't pack his bags with a sprained shoulder. I'm seeing a horrible record.....again. Lousy qb play....again, terrible coaching .....again.....so that must mean it's ice cream and lollipop time in NE Ohio .....again. Wimps in Berea spewing pablum.....again. Sigh......maybe next year

And there it is in a nutshell. Wentz would have been no better with the porous play exhibited by this OL. I can see Kessler being impressed into service by mid-season with RG III and McCown going down for the count.

Right, because this was a superbowl team a year ago, and they suck now exclusively because of the new front office. OK.

They sucked last year and the year before. They sucked 5 years ago, a decade ago and 2 decades ago. There used to be a whole lot of Brown n Orange in yards and on homes that has mostly disappeared from the whole region. Sad. And abutting Pa, there is a huge number of Stealer fans local. Instead of busting balls, now they wish us luck. Sad. At least you can put the pond up for deflection. I live in Browns land and its getting dreary as hell.

well at least you have people to commiserate with.

how about waking up in the heart of giants and jets football? one team that has won super bowls recently and one that looks like they could again? yeah go get a cup of coffee this morning wearing browns gear without a snicker or a laugh.

god frickin awful.

Archived