THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

Chad Kelly, Jim's nephew that played high school ball in Orchard Park (Buffalo), NY, has played a pretty good game vrs Alabama today outside of 1 mental breakdown where he coughed up the football for an Alabama TD. He's already beaten a National Champion Bama team in 2015 for anyone wondering what he's capable of against a well coached talented roster.

I remembered Tour bringing him up as an intriguing QB prospect last year to a pretty tough crowd of critics. I kind of liked the idea to be honest.

Anyone think he's somebody that might be able to help us?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chad Kelly, Jim's nephew that played high school ball in Orchard Park (Buffalo), NY, has played a pretty good game vrs Alabama today outside of 1 mental breakdown where he coughed up the football for an Alabama TD. He's already beaten a National Champion Bama team in 2015 for anyone wondering what he's capable of against a well coached talented roster.

I remembered Tour bringing him up as an intriguing QB prospect last year to a pretty tough crowd of critics. I kind of liked the idea to be honest.

Anyone think he's somebody that might be able to help us?

Watching the end of the game now... I forget in what game he caught my eye last year.

Chad is a roller coaster ride... that is for sure. That deep ball to the near sideline on their next to last TD drive was as pretty as can be. Other things, including putting his body at risk, are less desirable. The arm is there. The head???

Chad is a roller coaster ride... that is for sure. Other things, including putting his body at risk, are less desirable. The arm is there. The head???

That's my whole problem with Kelly..Holding the ball to long & the head, thinking he can risk his body to NFL defenses?..Bama's D was a good test today for Chad. Gota see Round 2.

Todd McShay calling A&M @ Auburn was saying he did not have a QB in his top 10 for the draft at this point, but that he was definitely moving Garrett higher up from his current #4 spot on his list. He referred to him several times as the best college football player in America. Understandable given 3 sacks, multiple hits as the ball left the QB's hand and much improved on run defense from a year ago. He indicated that the defense had to account for him on every play. Never took a down off while on the field.

Kid from miami looked like you can mold him into a complete qb in the nfl. Louisville qb looked great. Will be a wr in the nfl or a crippled rg3. Watson was mediocre at best and the ND qb scratch him off the list. Mayfield? LMAO!

I didn't see any NFL franchise QB yesterday. McShay is right. None in the top 10 of the draft.

I didn't see any NFL franchise QB yesterday. McShay is right. None in the top 10 of the draft.

Perhaps. Need to see more of Watson, and then find out who the new Wentz/Bortles is that nobody's paying attention to right now.

i totally agree. might be drafting D first.

god this sucks.

They better draft D first.....second.....third.....and some OL for the 4th - 5th - 6th - etc....

If they go QB early(first/2nd/3rd) I will (again) be very upset, because that means we just burned a 3rd for no reason....

My theory on QB's is you take em in the 1st, if they are "your guy for the future".....OR......you take em late (4th-7th) if they are a long shot project....

But....NEVER.....take a flyer with a high pick(1st-2nd-3rd), unless you can afford to burn those valuable picks....and we cant....

Sooooo......IF the Browns "rebuild plan"(and I use that wording lightly) was to draft their future QB next year, then I wish we had used that #3 on someone who would help us in other areas....

Go get me some difference making LB's and CB's......we drafted Gilbert because of our deep need at CB and STILL haven't filled that role....

Anyone hear talk of us waiting for McCarron to be a FA?....ala the Hue connection.....thats 2 seasons away....possible?

Kid from miami looked like you can mold him into a complete qb in the nfl. Louisville qb looked great. Will be a wr in the nfl or a crippled rg3. Watson was mediocre at best and the ND qb scratch him off the list. Mayfield? LMAO!

I swear if you slapped a maroon #2 on Mayfield you'd think you were watching JFF...

The two best QBs I saw Sunday were Louisville's Lamar Jackson and UH's Greg Ward Jr. At 5'11 the latter has no QB-shot at the NFL, but the former is 6'3... and looks comfortable in the pocket.

JT Barrett probably leads the best of the rest list. Threw some really pretty balls...

Still... there's that "running QB" aversion of mine.

They better draft D first.....second.....third.....and some OL for the 4th - 5th - 6th - etc....

If they go QB early(first/2nd/3rd) I will (again) be very upset, because that means we just burned a 3rd for no reason....

My theory on QB's is you take em in the 1st, if they are "your guy for the future".....OR......you take em late (4th-7th) if they are a long shot project....

But....NEVER.....take a flyer with a high pick(1st-2nd-3rd), unless you can afford to burn those valuable picks....and we cant....

Sooooo......IF the Browns "rebuild plan"(and I use that wording lightly) was to draft their future QB next year, then I wish we had used that #3 on someone who would help us in other areas....

Go get me some difference making LB's and CB's......we drafted Gilbert because of our deep need at CB and STILL haven't filled that role....

Anyone hear talk of us waiting for McCarron to be a FA?....ala the Hue connection.....thats 2 seasons away....possible?

i guess then, it's what we can get at the top spot we have and how they are ranked. after the run on wrs last year i'd hate to see another in the first....

offensively, IMO a rebuild of the OL is needed, a blue chip RB and of course a QB but like we've all said if there is noone that is a franchise guy of the future i would look at FA as you suggested to hold on for another year at least.

defensively, there are too many holes to mention. you guys that know and analyze the LBs and beyond maybe could enlighten us if there are any khalil macks coming out this year..?...maybe a monster DE...?...

i watched more college football yesterday than i have in a while and damn that ohio state d backfield is badass.

Why do my sleeper QBs' names keep coming up? :)

Jury is still out on our draft "needs"... except at one position... IMO. I do agree that early impact player(s) is(are) not evident at more than one position. DB? Depends on how you see the D being built: front to back or back to front.

Drafting is all about probability of success combined with impact of the position. I doubt there has ever been a 1st round card turned in where the org that wrote down the name did not think the player was a "sure thing"... at least in time. That includes even Wheezy... although I think there was a hefty dose of folks **cough Holmgren cough** talking themselves into that one. But even then the odds are lower for picks 24-32 than they were for 1-8. They just still have to be damn good.

Burning a 3rd on a prospect someone saw as having an outsized chance to be good doesn't bother me... although I confess I'd like to either share their view when they do it or have the wisdom of their way become evident PDQ...

Burning a 3rd on a prospect someone saw as having an outsized chance to be good doesn't bother me... although I confess I'd like to either share their view when they do it or have the wisdom of their way become evident PDQ...

Maybe you talk in your sleep?.....ha!

My issues with the burned picks grows deeper when I feel like that guy wouldnt even get drafted or could be had in the 6th or 7th....(that is Kessler)

I doubt ANY team shit their pants when that card came up in the 3rd.....(tho more than a few laughed and rolled their eyes)(trust me on this one).....

It still boils down to spending a 3rd round pick on a position that you already plan to fill thru other means....ie: FA or next years draft....and if you're just praying you get lucky and wont need to pick one high, then that is a bad plan....

And....taking it one further.....IF you truly believe this Kessler is your guy for the future.....AND you've already thrown in the whole season by cutting your starters, not signing any FA's and committing to rookies who "honestly" haven't earned the right to start....then why not play him too?.....the time is now to find out if he's got it or not.....

Then again....maybe it's not too early to already know......cause, clearly, this FO is committed to playing their guys early and often.....X cept at QB.....

Maybe you talk in your sleep?.....ha!

My issues with the burned picks grows deeper when I feel like that guy wouldnt even get drafted or could be had in the 6th or 7th....(that is Kessler)

I doubt ANY team shit their pants when that card came up in the 3rd.....(tho more than a few laughed and rolled their eyes)(trust me on this one).....

It still boils down to spending a 3rd round pick on a position that you already plan to fill thru other means....ie: FA or next years draft....and if you're just praying you get lucky and wont need to pick one high, then that is a bad plan....

And....taking it one further.....IF you truly believe this Kessler is your guy for the future.....AND you've already thrown in the whole season by cutting your starters, not signing any FA's and committing to rookies who "honestly" haven't earned the right to start....then why not play him too?.....the time is now to find out if he's got it or not.....

Then again....maybe it's not too early to already know......cause, clearly, this FO is committed to playing their guys early and often.....X cept at QB.....

First... agree on timing of the pick and share your doubt that one or more teams said, "Damn," when the pick was announced. But that's based on our view of Kessler. If our system determined he was high value late in the third, so be it. Even if they felt he could still be there a round later, if he had risen to the top of our board, then they should pull the trigger as they did. You have to trust your system until it's shown you should not. And then you tweak it and trust it again... and again... and again...

That said... it would be nice if their early judgement turned out to be sound. Even more so in light of their signing Hogan which is a bit of a head scratcher if Kessler was their sleeper.

The timing to start that discovery process? Still too early IMO... It's not just Kessler's readiness that is the issue, but the WR corps', the OL's and, to a lesser extent, the D's readiness. Let the surrounding cast develop some... get Gordon back in the mix... let everything settle in under McC. I don't think there is much risk of a winning streak breaking out, so there will be still be circumstances allowing us to check out Kessler (and probably Hogan) by year's end.

If you choose to start a rookie who is not ready while the team is still mathematically in "it", then you risk losing the team... especially if out of the other side of your mouth you are still talking about "fighting on" and "being close", etc.

If its "a feel better for a moment", Mud. TB took a Kicker at 59,(in 2nd?) leaving the door open for us to get Naz at 65..(small cave helmet light in a dark tunnel :ph34r:)

I see your point....sound and logical, as it usually is....(but here comes the rhetorical counter point anyway)....

Thats great....IF....they dont draft one "high" next year.....cause 2-3 games at the end of the year isnt enough....so, if we haven't "learned" if he's the guy, then we draft one high, that takes us full circle to my original whine....

By my standard, they lost the team a long time ago, when they cut it & let it walk, etc.....and everyone knows(I mean everyone) that they are playing guys who wouldnt normally be playing(IE...guys who havent earned it), so why would they lose the team by adding one more unproven rookie to the already long list??....

heck, I dont think RGIII was the best and he looked like hot garbage in the preseason, yet they gave him the job too....so, if he can play, then why not Kessler?....(and I do know Kesslers not ready and bad things can or will happen when said unready QB plays for said bad team)...(Im really just bitchin cause I hate the Kessler pick).....and therefore.....I want to see him establish that he IS or ISNT the guy NOW so we can(again) plan accordingly and move forward in the right direction......

In summary......Thats great....IF....they dont draft one "high" next year.....

Kizer is still hands-down the best prospect.

I'm not sure what football you're watching, but even with a hurt shoulder he looked better than any QB not named Lamar Jackson.

Being the best QB available does not make him a franchise QB in a QB down year. And it sure doesn't make him a top 10 overall either.

PS-and if you based it on how he showed against Texas, well we all now know what that defense looked like last night when Cal hung half a hundred on 'em.

Being the best QB available does not make him a franchise QB in a QB down year. And it sure doesn't make him a top 10 overall either.

PS-and if you based it on how he showed against Texas, well we all now know what that defense looked like last night when Cal hung half a hundred on 'em.

I'm basing it on what I saw last year coupled with the growth I've seen this year and extrapolating it to next year.

Every year we hear the same thing - "oh it's a QB down year". Every year, a QB comes out that year tends to look pretty solid.

If you're waiting for Luck....keep waiting. Even Cam wasn't a Luck type prospect. If franchise QB's were gift wrapped prospects, every team would have one.

I don't understand the reasoning on this board regarding QB's sometimes. Everyone is so scared to take a guy who looks like a pro QB just because the media doesn't talk enough about him, or didn't talk enough about him soon enough, or because [insert other asinine reason], yet we'll shit bricks over a guy who clearly doesn't possess transferable skills just because he's always on ESPN.

I don't understand the reasoning on this board regarding QB's sometimes. Everyone is so scared to take a guy who looks like a pro QB just because the media doesn't talk enough about him, or didn't talk enough about him soon enough, or because [insert other asinine reason], yet we'll shit bricks over a guy who clearly doesn't possess transferable skills just because he's always on ESPN.

or maybe cuz some of us who aren't serious college fans, haven't seen or heard of the person you are talking about? i'm lucky to know who the starter of the bucks are let alone who mel kizer is......

i'm sure when the season is near an end every talking head will have their list of qb candidates and people like me THEN can look and dissect what each has to offer. i did like kaaya though, even though he looks like he's 15.

Watching the end of the game now... I forget in what game he caught my eye last year.

Chad is a roller coaster ride... that is for sure. That deep ball to the near sideline on their next to last TD drive was as pretty as can be. Other things, including putting his body at risk, are less desirable. The arm is there. The head???

Kid's kind of an idiot. Good player though.

or maybe cuz some of us who aren't serious college fans, haven't seen or heard of the person you are talking about? i'm lucky to know who the starter of the bucks are let alone who mel kizer is......

i'm sure when the season is near an end every talking head will have their list of qb candidates and people like me THEN can look and dissect what each has to offer. i did like kaaya though, even though he looks like he's 15.

That's fine, but you have eyeballs and know enough about football to know that a 6'5", intelligent guy with a live arm and above average mobility is probably a better prospect than a 5'11" child who's never taken a snap under center.

That's not rocket science.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few positions on this team that should be looked at. Some priorities:

1. QB.......unless we can "trust" Hue Jackson and this Kessler kid becomes the next Brian Sipe...or becomes as Smooth as Joe Montana was Cool.

2. RT/RG.....bad mistake letting The Schwartz go. Or do Coleman and Drango and Bailey work out in these spots. Pasztor is backup material.

But that is it on offense.

Defense:

1. A pass rusher. Unless Ogbah and Orchard prove that they can produce here the way they did in college (and they have not done so yet) we need pass rusher. If they really don't want to go high for a QB....a Myles Garret would not hurt.

2. Defensive Backfield. Safety and Corner. Haden hurt and older. Tramon Williams average at best. No other standouts. Would a Jabil Peppers be a good play? Perhaps....but our own Michigan man here...Woody, has made some statements to the effect that he may not be so elite as people think. That he may be a "tweener".

3. Depth at Linebacker. Though if it would be Garrett that would constitute more than "depth".

4. A kicker? Late rounds? WTF, if we have the extra picks it may be worth it to nail that position down...which has been an issue the last couple of years.

Jury is still out on our draft "needs"... except at one position... IMO. I do agree that early impact player(s) is(are) not evident at more than one position. DB? Depends on how you see the D being built: front to back or back to front.

This is coming from me, a DB at heart. Just watching the current state of the NFL, you absolutely have to have a front 4 with an extra 5th and 6th body that can get the QB off the spot regularly. Even only a handful a years back when you had the Jets with a patchwork secondary surrounding Revis and Crow getting you to the AFC title game - those days are gone. Too much emphasis on defensive holding and illegal contact to allow press corners to sit on an island all game.

Archived