THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

Keesler was one of the better QBs in CFB during his time at USC and came out and played very well in his first start. Why are people so fixated with the QB position and drafting one when we very well may have one here now? No idea what Keesler has done to earn so much ire as the guy has a good background and looked good this past weekend. I am excited to see what he can do when Gordon gets back and he has three good targets.

Our line is a mess though outside of LT. We may need to shore that up via this draft. Hopefully the Eagles start and continue to lose a lot to get another high pick.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Kizer the Great not quite so great the last two games. And I already pointed out how atrocious texas has been on D this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000708589/article/notre-dames-brian-kelly-deshone-kizers-play-not-acceptable

What? You don't like a QB that will be coming out of a school this upcoming draft that had just last draft produced a number one QB who admits to never having called plays?

Webb is projected to break all of Goff's single season records this year. You know the #1 overall pick from 2015. He's on pace to break 50 TD's this year throw for more than 5000 yards. He's an inch taller and 15 to 20 lbs heavier than Goff. He's more athletic and throws a Faster,Better ball. You don't have to take my word for it you can just watch his games and see what I'm talking about. He's performing better this year with no experience than Goff did in 3 years

Webb is projected to break all of Goff's single season records this year. You know the #1 overall pick from 2015. He's on pace to break 50 TD's this year throw for more than 5000 yards. He's an inch taller and 15 to 20 lbs heavier than Goff. He's more athletic and throws a Faster,Better ball. You don't have to take my word for it you can just watch his games and see what I'm talking about. He's performing better this year with no experience than Goff did in 3 years

Graham Harrell threw for 5k. Jamarcus Russell was taller and threw a rocket. You see how dumb it is when you bring up physical traits and stats as your first selling point?

What is the kid like between the ears? Start there.

Details on Webb aren't hard to find.. [Link to PFF analyzing why he lost the battle at TT]

"He can throw with accuracy and touch both between and outside the numbers, but his flashes of brilliance were accompanied equally by head-scratching throws. He had a turnover-worthy play on 5.71 percent of his dropbacks, a key reason he lost the quarterback battle to Mahomes."

Details on Webb aren't hard to find.. [Link to PFF analyzing why he lost the battle at TT]

"He can throw with accuracy and touch both between and outside the numbers, but his flashes of brilliance were accompanied equally by head-scratching throws. He had a turnover-worthy play on 5.71 percent of his dropbacks, a key reason he lost the quarterback battle to Mahomes."

So, two questions: Is he coming out next year....and what round would you pick him in?

You mean a guy in his first year in a system is predicted to break all of the records of the guy in the system before him, who was lauded as a great prospect and NOT, in fact, the product of a system?

In one fell swoop, you just besmirched both Goff and Webb.

They are system guys with their only transferrable trait being they can throw the ball.

So, two questions: Is he coming out next year....and what round would you pick him in?

well he is a senior so I'm pretty sure he is. and if he ends his career at the 50 td, 5000 yds and keeps his int ratio at around 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 who knows how high he will go. add in a good performance at the senior bowl and a good combine and we could be talking top 5 overall pick. that is a lot of if's and could be projection's though. but hey that's basically what a draft thread in September is anyway. if the season ended today I'd drop a mid rounder 4-5 on him

But how big are his hands?

Tim just watch the games man

discounting the 75 yard TD play that was the result of the Receiver his other 4 TD throws were absolute strikes all at 20+ yards. He dealt with quite a few drops this game made 2 costly INT and could have made atleast 1 more INT on some miscommunications with his Receivers. One from an errant and stupid throw and one from a great play by the defender. This isn't even a good game from him just his most recent.

So Kizer the Great not quite so great the last two games. And I already pointed out how atrocious texas has been on D this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000708589/article/notre-dames-brian-kelly-deshone-kizers-play-not-acceptable

I'm having a hard time seeing how this all falls on Kizer? They let Duke score 38 and Michigan State score 36. When your defense is giving up over 30 points, it's a LITTLE tough to win.

Over the last two games, Kizer is still 42-74 with 725 yards, 4 TD's, 2 INT's, and has also netted 3 rushing touchdowns. Sure, it's not up to snuff compared to the gaudy numbers he put up against Texas, but his average statline over those two games is still in the vicinity of 57% completion, 360 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT and 1 rushing TD.

If anything, its refreshing to see Kizer taking blame for the losses, but he's FAR from being the reason behind the poor performances.

Yea i read that article aswell it's a bit overly critical of Kizer to be honest. I'm not as big a fan of Kizer he really really needs one more year of play and i think that's pretty evident after watching his games. most of the top hyped up QB's have really under performed this year looking to be a thin QB Class. And to be fair to kizer he has the potential to be very good he's just not as far along as #1 overall pick lol. setting the bar a little high there. btw Kizer against texas 15-24 215 yds 5tds and Webb against Texas 27/40 396 yds 4tds

I'm having a hard time seeing how this all falls on Kizer? They let Duke score 38 and Michigan State score 36. When your defense is giving up over 30 points, it's a LITTLE tough to win.

Over the last two games, Kizer is still 42-74 with 725 yards, 4 TD's, 2 INT's, and has also netted 3 rushing touchdowns. Sure, it's not up to snuff compared to the gaudy numbers he put up against Texas, but his average statline over those two games is still in the vicinity of 57% completion, 360 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT and 1 rushing TD.

If anything, its refreshing to see Kizer taking blame for the losses, but he's FAR from being the reason behind the poor performances.

57% is not impressive to me.

Now these are stats: *2015

SR QB 13games 316com. 477attm. 66.2% 3793yds 29td 5int 151.0 rating

Yep-Dak

well he is a senior so I'm pretty sure he is. and if he ends his career at the 50 td, 5000 yds and keeps his int ratio at around 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 who knows how high he will go. add in a good performance at the senior bowl and a good combine and we could be talking top 5 overall pick. that is a lot of if's and could be projection's though. but hey that's basically what a draft thread in September is anyway. if the season ended today I'd drop a mid rounder 4-5 on him

I think that is highly optimistic. Right now he is listed as the 13th overall QB....and either a 7th rounder or UDFA by CBS sports. (but then I think Kessler was rated the same)

well last year around this time paxton lynch and carson wentz were 7th round or later prospects cardale jones was round 1 guy as was connor cook and i think hackenberg? Goff was a round 2 or 3? actually i'm going to check this out and update this post

**Update

for QBs in round 1 CBS Jared Goff going 4th overall to us, Connor Cook going 6th overall and Cardale Jones going 10th overall

Goff predicted 4th went 1st (+3)

Cook Predicted 6th went 100th overall (+94)

Cardale Predicted 10th went 139th overall (+129)

Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz Not included in the first round.

So LOTS can change in the coming months take the prospect "rankings" with a grain of salt until the season is over :)

Kessler was actually ranked as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect early in 2015 because of his stellar 2014 season. if he would have had a repeat of his 2014 year we would have been thrilled to have him at the end of the 3rd instead of an early second :D Cody Kessler JR QB 13Games 315 Comp 452 Att 69.7 Acc% 3826 Yards 39 TD 5 INT 167.1 Rating 2014 season. Again Before the 2015 season Kessler was in the early consideration for the heisman that year. he ended up taking a step backwards that year and the rest is history

Tim just watch the games man

discounting the 75 yard TD play that was the result of the Receiver his other 4 TD throws were absolute strikes all at 20+ yards. He dealt with quite a few drops this game made 2 costly INT and could have made atleast 1 more INT on some miscommunications with his Receivers. One from an errant and stupid throw and one from a great play by the defender. This isn't even a good game from him just his most recent.

I have watched him play and nothing about Webb screams franchise QB. At the very best he's a poor man's Kyle Boller, who is a poor man's Aaron Rodgers. So Webb is a poor man's poor man's Aaron Rodgers - also known as a system QB and perennial backup QB.

well last year around this time paxton lynch and carson wentz were 7th round or later prospects cardale jones was round 1 guy as was connor cook and i think hackenberg? Goff was a round 2 or 3? actually i'm going to check this out and update this post

**Update

for QBs in round 1 CBS Jared Goff going 4th overall to us, Connor Cook going 6th overall and Cardale Jones going 10th overall

Goff predicted 4th went 1st (+3)

Cook Predicted 6th went 100th overall (+94)

Cardale Predicted 10th went 139th overall (+129)

Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz Not included in the first round.

So LOTS can change in the coming months take the prospect "rankings" with a grain of salt until the season is over :)

Kessler was actually ranked as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect early in 2015 because of his stellar 2014 season. if he would have had a repeat of his 2014 year we would have been thrilled to have him at the end of the 3rd instead of an early second :D

Fair enough. I suspect that all these rankings will change between now and April.

I do know that we are going to have an interesting game on Saturday when Watson and Clemson face of vs. Jackson and Louisville.

One of the games of the year perhaps.

57% is not impressive to me.

Now these are stats: *2015

SR QB 13games 316com. 477attm. 66.2% 3793yds 29td 5int 151.0 rating

Yep-Dak

57% doesn't have to be impressive to you, nor should it be. It's a statline average from his two worst games, and it's the only one you pulled apart as a detracting point...which means that the rest of the stats he posted in his worst two games were still respectable stats.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine -

SO 13 games - 210 completions, 334 attempts, 62.9%, 2,880 yards, 21 TD, 10 INT, 150.1 rating......as a sophomore.

I liked Prescott as well, but he's not going to be our QB. It's over.

Kizer is equally talented, plays in a similar spread offensive philosophy and has posted very similar career stats in terms of accuracy, (62.7 vs 62.8), rating (154.6 vs 146), and Y/A (8.0 vs 8.8). Plus he's a larger frame (6'2 vs 6'5), equally as talented athletically, and is a very intelligent and well-spoken man. I really don't see the fuss, other than the patented "take a stand for no reason and blindly stick to it" which is prevalent across this board.

I'm looking foward to watching that one, as well as Notre dame and osu and Stanford and wsu and cal and Louisville and Oklahoma gotta watch them all to see how they all do :D Also is should be noted that Kizer has thrown less passes in his career than Prescott did in his SR year. I like the kid but he's not ready plain and simple. He NEEDS more time and he MAY improve enough this year to warrant a selection but he really looks like he needs more time to develop. Easily the best candidate to return for his SR year, If he does not transfer to somewhere that actually shows promise in helping him develop his skills as a passer.

I think that is highly optimistic. Right now he is listed as the 13th overall QB....and either a 7th rounder or UDFA by CBS sports. (but then I think Kessler was rated the same)

Interestingly enough Walterfootball has Webb listed as the 13th overall QB as well but has the chargers taking him in the 2nd round after Watson,Kaaya,Kizer and Kelly so pretty interesting there lol

Interestingly enough Walterfootball has Webb listed as the 13th overall QB as well but has the chargers taking him in the 2nd round after Watson,Kaaya,Kizer and Kelly so pretty interesting there lol

I am becoming intrigued with Kelly. While Ole Miss has lost some games, they have been shootouts. They scored like 43 points vs. Alabama, only to lose 48-43. Pretty impressive to put up those kinds of numbers on Bama. Whomped Georgia who I thought had a tough defense. 40 plus points on FSU (but nothing like Louisville)

Plus, he has good genetics, no? Jim Kelly's nephew?

Could he be a guy for the Browns to look at seriously?

Correct me if I am wrong but, also, Lamar Jackson is not draft eligible, is he? I don't know if he is pro style (but no less than Mike Vick was)...but you HAVE to look at him.

I am becoming intrigued with Kelly. While Ole Miss has lost some games, they have been shootouts. They scored like 43 points vs. Alabama, only to lose 48-43. Pretty impressive to put up those kinds of numbers on Bama. Whomped Georgia who I thought had a tough defense. 40 plus points on FSU (but nothing like Louisville)

Plus, he has good genetics, no? Jim Kelly's nephew?

Could he be a guy for the Browns to look at seriously?

Correct me if I am wrong but, also, Lamar Jackson is not draft eligible, is he? I don't know if he is pro style (but no less than Mike Vick was)...but you HAVE to look at him.

Jackson is a bad passer - Kelly isn't that much better. Kelly benefits from having large receivers who go up and high-point the football. He gets away with a lot of errant and straight up well defended throws that way. Not a quality you look for in a prospect whatsoever.

Archived