THE BROWNS BOARD

The Dark Horse of the Draft

Mr. T

Today many were wondering what the FOOK was Going oN!

Well we need to remember that Mangini had plenty of needs going in to the draft, yes WR for us was very slim considering Stallworth and JJ being cut for not being able to play.

What Mangini did was not just going after what we needed he also went after the best available talent in the positions and rounds that he drafted.

Many will complain we could've should've gotten this guy or that guy, but what you need to remember the coaching tree where he came from.

Sometimes the most talented athlete is not the best fit for your team. Let me explain, I will call it coachable, thats right there are plenty of guys out their coming out of large programs who have had sunshine pumped up their ass for 4 or more years, this could go all the way back to even when they were in high school. A coach especially a new coach needs guys he can coach guys that will listen and have the work ethic needed to build a champion. And I believe that is what he has done.

So I will call some of these picks the dark horse picks, Not Flashy, Not Main Stream Media guys. Who think their shit dosn't stink. We all know what road those guys go down. Look at the Bengals.

And on another note, as Mangini is working into his first year here in Cleveland. He needs to be able to put points up on the board. In order to do that you have to start at the center of things, and he went out and shored up the offensive line. Then Mangini went and hit again with Robiskie, another great talent from Theee Ohio State University I will add.

All in all, Mangini did a Great Job.

Here is a good example of being a player who is coachable and given will be a star performer. A dark horse.

Kaluka Maiava

Linebacker

Career Highlights

Maiava's versatility was both a blessing and a curse for the Trojans, as his ability to play all three linebacker positions made him a valuable reserve during his first three years at the university.

Finally given the opportunity to start as a senior, he played the part of the good soldier, quietly going about doing a stellar job while the team's other linebackers basked in the spotlight. He began his collegiate career as a strong-side linebacker. He shifted to the weak-side as a sophomore, but also saw time in the middle, along with excelling on special teams.

In each of his years playing for the Trojans, the defense continued to improve. During his freshman season, USC ranked 31st in the nation in rush defense (130.54 ypg), 48th in total defense (360.92 ypg) and 35th in scoring defense (22.85 ppg). After moving to the weak side, where he played behind All-American Keith Rivers (Cincinnati), Southern California improved to ninth in the nation vs. the run (91.08 ypg), 20th in total defense (295.85 ypg) and eleventh in scoring defense (15.15 ppg). As a junior, USC continued to move up the national charts, finishing fourth vs. the run (84.15 ypg), second in total defense (273.15 ypg) and second in scoring defense (16.0 ppg) in 2007. In his final season, his first as a full-time starter, the Trojans allowed just 87.38 yards per game on the ground (fifth in the NCAA), ranking second in the country in total defense (221.77 ypg) while leading the major colleges in scoring defense (9.0 ppg).

Wrestling with ball carriers is something that seems all so natural for Kaluka, whose family tree reads like the "who's who" of the professional wrestling industry. He is the grandson of professional wrestler Neff Maiava, who was known for walking on a bed of nails that they would bring into the ring. He had a renowned feud with Killer Kowalski, known as the most feared performer of his era. Neff also wrote a children's book called "Da Grouchy Moocher Boogie Man." Neff was related to famed Hawaiian wrestler Peter Maiava, whose daughter married pro wrestler Rocky Johnson. Their son, Duane Johnson, also Kaluka's uncle, played football at Miami before gaining wide attention as professional wrestler "The Rock". Other wrestlers within Kaluka's family are the "Wild Samoans," Afa and Sika Anoai, along with Afa's three wrestling sons are Samula Anoa'i (The Great Samu), Larry Anoa'i (L.A. Smooth) and Afa Anoa'i Jr. (Afa Jr.). Junior Anoai (Afa and Sika's brother) is the father of former WWF World Champion, Yokozuna. Afa's daughter married American wrestler Gary Albright. Jimmy Snuka, Jimmy Snuka Jr., Mr. Harry Fuji, Junior Maivia, The Barbarian and Haku (aka Meng) are all distantly related.

In addition to the wrestling family tree, Kaluka's father, Scott Mahoney, attended and played football for Kamehameha Schools and the University of Colorado as an offensive lineman. His brother, Kai, also played football at Colorado and UCLA. At Baldwin High School, Maiava was named Super Prep All-American, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Tom Lemming All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West honorable mention, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15, Gatorade Hawaii Player of the Year, Honolulu Advertiser All-State, All-Maui Interscholastic League Defensive Player of the Year and All-League as a senior linebacker.

In his final season, Maiava recorded 147 tackles, 39 stops for loss, eight sacks, eight forced fumbles and five blocked kicks in 2004, as well as a punt return for a touchdown. As a junior in 2003, he was a Honolulu Advertiser All-State pick as he posted 157 tackles, 22 tackles for loss and eight sacks. He also participated in soccer and boxing at Baldwin. As a reserve strong-side linebacker, Maiava was named Southern California's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year, in addition to capturing the Service Team Defensive Player of the Year Award. He appeared in all 13 games, earning his first career start in the Stanford clash. He finished his freshman campaign with 20 tackles (12 solos), a fumble recovery and an interception. In 2006, Maiava shifted to weak-side linebacker, playing in 12 games behind Keith Rivers. He sat out the season opener vs. Arkansas with a fall camp shoulder sprain, but the team's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year posted 34 tackles (15 solos) and 3.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. As a junior, Maiava again served as the linebacker unit's chief backup, in addition to leading the special teams squad. He started vs. Arizona State at the weak-side position, going on to record 44 tackles (26 solos) with a pair of sacks and 4.5 stops for loss. He also caused a fumble and broke up two passes. In 2008, Maiava became the full-time starter at weak-side linebacker. The second-team All-Pac 10 Conference selection and Rose Bowl Defensive MVP registered a career-high 66 tackles (41 solos), ranking third on the team. He delivered 7.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, deflected five passes and intercepted another. Asked what he learned from the long list of linebackers he played with at USC, Maiava said, "I have learned a lot just watching them. How they play, how they are always in the backfield. Their passion for the ball, physically taking control, that is how I try to play."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player_draft.php?id=3817

Archived