THE BROWNS BOARD

My thought on the draft

heckofajobbrownie

33de27e616095682cc2c4a925d3c0c16.jpg

That's the money you saved by switching to Mankok.

Loved the trade downs. That's the best part. We could have been saddled with a #5 salary for a player that we wanted in the teens. Instead, we got a really solid player at the #21 salary.

As for the WRs, Robiskie seems like he's professional and savvy enough to play in this league. I think Massaquoi is a bit overrated. But damned if I'm going to try and guess how a college WR turns out in the pros. It's a fool's errand.

And who knows how Veikune turns out? I don't know much about him.

But damned if we didn't save some dough. Last year's #5 got five-years, $51 million with $22 guaranteed.

Last year's #20 got 5 years, $14 million, with $8.2 million guaranteed. That's probably around what we're looking at for this year's #21.

Honestly, I think that's the best part of the day.

guys could have had at 36....guys available between 36~50

37. Broncos, Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - You can never have too many cover guys, especially when you give up as many points as Denver did last season.

38. Bengals Rey Maualuga, LB, USC, Bengals - This was a bad day for Maualuga, who was expected to go in the first round. Maybe the Bengals got lucky.

39. Jaguars, Eben Britton, OT, Arizona - He may have hurt himself by leaving a year early. Scouts feel he needs work on his technique. Some thought he would be a first-round pick, but his stock fell, and he may need time to develop.

40. Patriots, Ron Brace, DT, Boston College - He has excellent potential as a nose tackle in a Bill Belichick 3-4 defense. This pick could be a steal.

41. Patriots, Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut - Belichick had his eye on Butler since an impressive performance at his pro day. In the NFL, Belichick is an important person with whom to make a good first impression.

42. Bills, Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon - Questions about his speed may have hurt his draft stock. But he may help the Bills as a punt returner.

43. Panthers, Everette Brown, DE, Florida State - This was the first pick for the Panthers, and they got a defensive end who many thought would go in the first round. There are questions about Brown's strength against the run. But he has potential as a pass rusher, and with Julius Peppers perhaps on his way elsewhere, this was a good choice by the Panthers.

44. :huh: Dolphins, Pat White, QB, West Virginia - You can expect to see White in the WildDawg formation with the Dolphins. His ability to run and throw out of the formation could cause defenses fits for 10-15 plays per game.

45. Giants, Clint Sintim, LB, West Virginia - The Giants need more linebackers with more speed in pass coverage. Sintim could help in this area.

46. Texans, Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati - He may able to play either defensive end or linebacker, depending upon where the Texans feel he can help the most.

47. :lol: Raiders, Michael Mitchell, S, Ohio - This could be a reach for the second round. After not being invited to the Combine, Mitchell impressed scouts with a fast time at his pro day. Have you heard before that the Raiders fall in love with players with speed?\

48. Broncos, Darcel McBath, S, Texas Tech - Denver signed veteran Brian Dawkins, but they need to get younger and faster at the safety position.

49. Seahawks, Max Unger, C, Oregon - A center in college, Unger could be a guard as well in the NFL. The Seahawks offensive line could stand to get younger.

My only problem is Massaquoi, and the more I think about it the less I hate it. Our defense has been terrible but it has some talent. Rogers obviously, Jackson, and both corners are really solid players to me. Wimbley, Hall and now Veikune will provide some interesting competition at OLB, and with hopefully better coordinating the front 7 will play a lot better.

On offense, after Braylon (who most here hate anyway, and may be gone soon)...we had nothing. We'd be relying on Lewis, Steptoe, Patten and Heiden to move us down the field. I guess some people still never saw that as an area of need. Now we have another (supposedly very intelligent) truck to drop into the middle of the line, a polished possession receiver in Robiskie, and additional talent in Massaquoi for a suddenly pretty respectable offense. I definitely would've taken a running back over that 2nd receiver, but besides that I can't complain.

There's enough talent on D to coach up, our offense was paper thin.

Add a running back, a LB or two and a safety on the second day and it should be a very successful draft.

That is what I don't understand the two receivers, if we were going with Robiskie then the second should have been RB, if Robiskie and Massaquoi were close in the FO grades then we should have went Rey with the first one, and which ever receiver is still their with the second one, or if both are there then you take the one you like better.

As for the center, if that makes us run better then great, he was the highest rated center there, and it took him from the Steelers who were reported wanting him. and it sounds like that was not a reach for him.

as for the last one, we needed the help if he works out then great. will reserve judgement on him.

My only problem is Massaquoi, and the more I think about it the less I hate it. Our defense has been terrible but it has some talent. Rogers obviously, Jackson, and both corners are really solid players to me. Wimbley, Hall and now Veikune will provide some interesting competition at OLB, and with hopefully better coordinating the front 7 will play a lot better.

On offense, after Braylon (who most here hate anyway, and may be gone soon)...we had nothing. We'd be relying on Lewis, Steptoe, Patten and Heiden to move us down the field. I guess some people still never saw that as an area of need. Now we have another (supposedly very intelligent) truck to drop into the middle of the line, a polished possession receiver in Robiskie, and additional talent in Massaquoi for a suddenly pretty respectable offense. I definitely would've taken a running back over that 2nd receiver, but besides that I can't complain.

There's enough talent on D to coach up, our offense was paper thin.

Add a running back, a LB or two and a safety on the second day and it should be a very successful draft.

Great post, CIMO. Nice to see you on the football board.

You summed it my thoughts on this very well. We definitely needed WRs and got what I think are arguably two of the more pro ready guys there. I love the Mack pick. It was our biggest glaring need and playing against Ngata (thanks again for that one, Phil) and Hampton twice a year means he was NECESSARY. Not to mention the Steelers supposedly wanted him.

I was thinking RB at 52 but looking at it now, no other RB went off the board after McCoy and I don't think McCoy was a good fit for us. I'm betting we'll be looking to move up into the third of Jennings or Greene drop low enough. Maybe those two sixths get packaged so we can get up there?

And let's not forget that Bell, Rucker and Hubbard are de facto members of this draft class since they didn't play last year and each cost us a pick from this draft. If you add them in, it's an even better day.

I think the Massaquoi pick is to cover the loss of Edwards.

With events the past month, receiver became a very big need.

While that pick may be the one I question somewhat, I understand the reason why it was made and don't have a big problem.

The most puzzling move by the Browns is passing on Jeremy Machlin for Alex mack (a center, while good, is still a center)and the 195th player in a very weak draft... your thoughts?

Are you serious with this, Solon?

A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

Centers are not.

I wouldn't say centers can't bust, but it isn't very likely.

At worst they end up serviceable players....much like LT prospects.

If they wash at LT, they can play RT...if not, they can play guard..

Centers call the line blocks, and really can impact both sides of the running game.

Great thread. Heck- it's a shame you couldn't have added Rockwell's tune to accompany that photo. Well done.

I really liked our picks yesterday. Mack, imo, is the best center in about 3 drafts, and I truly believe we've got another Joe Thomas, for a 1/5 of the price.

For the WR's I think we got two great guys. I would have personally rather seen Nicks / Mass. but Robieski will make a better #1. I hate to see him go, but I think Braylon could be gone after this season. He'll be an idiot & let the fact that drafted a WR from tOSU get to his head and we'll get BE version 2k8 again. Which sucks, because I think he can be premier.

This was my 1st draft with tivo/dvr (whichever one I have-who cares) and it was glorious. Certainly saved me from aging 15 years through the 3 trade downs. And a lot better when I realized that we were going for Mack and trying to keep our checkbook from bursting into flames.

Also, what does this Day 1 say about Mangini's thoughts on Wimbley & Hall (behind a healthy Williams & Smith x2 )? Good things, I think. Veikune will compete also.

I wouldn't say centers can't bust, but it isn't very likely.

At worst they end up serviceable players....much like LT prospects.

If they wash at LT, they can play RT...if not, they can play guard..

Centers call the line blocks, and really can impact both sides of the running game.

remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.

he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.

remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.

he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.

He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.

He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.

33de27e616095682cc2c4a925d3c0c16.jpg

That's the money you saved by switching to Mankok.

Loved the trade downs. That's the best part. We could have been saddled with a #5 salary for a player that we wanted in the teens. Instead, we got a really solid player at the #21 salary.

As for the WRs, Robiskie seems like he's professional and savvy enough to play in this league. I think Massaquoi is a bit overrated. But damned if I'm going to try and guess how a college WR turns out in the pros. It's a fool's errand.

And who knows how Veikune turns out? I don't know much about him.

But damned if we didn't save some dough. Last year's #5 got five-years, $51 million with $22 guaranteed.

Last year's #20 got 5 years, $14 million, with $8.2 million guaranteed. That's probably around what we're looking at for this year's #21.

Honestly, I think that's the best part of the day.

HAHA thats great

A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

Centers are not.

Dama you are correct and not to mention the fact that Mack won the Academic Hiesman shows some smarts - also both receivers were very high in their class - I think Massaqoi has a degree in psychology , either smart players = equal good work ethics and smart plays - go brownies!!!

He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.

He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.

The tampa bay bucs are a bunch of suckers too. I'm not sold on him....look if he was worth a crap he would of still been a clev. brown or a saint. And if he is to small for the afc North, why is it ok to be in the nfc?

If you are going to make a playoff run do you want to do it with an undersized center. Michael Vick was the highest paid qb was he the best qb in the league?

Centers are not.

Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have machlin...Antoine Calwell could have been #52 pick and Luigs from ark at #104 and as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!

Guest Masters
Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have macklin...Luigs from ark and Antoine Calwell could have been #52 picks as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!

Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.

Guest Masters
I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.

Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.

I think the Massaquoi pick is to cover the loss of Edwards.

With events the past month, receiver became a very big need.

While that pick may be the one I question somewhat, I understand the reason why it was made and don't have a big problem.

did you mean Stallworth BP?

besides being in a contract year the key to bringing out the best in Edwards is surrounding him with competition. regarding Robiskie and Massaquoi: both are superb route runners, have good hands, and have their heads on straight.

these young bucs are exactly what the doctor ordered to push Braylon back into '07 form.

WR is set, plz give up on the trade ideas already.

I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.

Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.

they went from 5 pix to potentially 11 players. i'd say that's pretty close to amazing, considering.

I believe most mocks, and squeeler fans in some forums I visited, er... lurked...

that Mack was the choice of the Squeelers. They want to stay on top, and wanted to strengthen the

middle of their oline vs the Browns' and dirty stupid filthy ugly ratbirds' giant NT's

But the Browns beat them to it. And, it would be great to see a youtube video of pencils being snapped

and thrown against the wall at the squeeler draft room when both centers were gone.

And, when the Browns want to go with a 3 wr set... any defense has to curse when the game is on the line.

I'm flushtered that Jamon Meredith and Rashad Jennings are still on the board, I think. Shows what I know.

We've got three 6th rounders left, let's hope they make the most of them. No more David McMillans and Paul Hubbards.

Hubbard could still pan out. he certainly has the potential and did well enough in college. we shall see.

Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.

Max Unger...also at 52 Caldwell...Luigs at 104

Guest Aloysius

Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.

So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.

Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.

So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.

So you didn't have Machlin at #19, as a better choice?

Archived