THE BROWNS BOARD

My thought on the draft

heckofajobbrownie

if they really thought anything of hubbard would they have drafted massaqoui?

yes.

they were paper thin, even a hammy woulda been curtains to the WR core. down JJ and donte with Patten as the only experience behind Braylon. (!) it's an 800 million dollar corporation and many viable receivers still take several years to develop.

i expected kok/man to lay the groundwork for years 3 and 4, when the leash gets really short and we expect them to walk on their own two (or four). this will help them meet those expectations for 2011 and beyond.

All several steps below the talent level of Mack and Wood.

Several steps? Maybe as many steps as it takes to get from the first floor to the basement.

If he thinks a center is a center, then I guess a WR is a WR.

The thing I like about all our draft picks so far is that they appear to be smart, high character players

Agreed. Even though I like the sexy picks, its time to realize this team needs much more than that. I think ManKok is building a good foundation so that when all that's needed is the sexy pick, they can do that comfortably.

I love the Mack pick and I also liked Maclin. The way I look at it is you can never go wrong with a quality center. This guy is from great genes, smart (Draddy Trophy for Academic Heisman), athletic and bad. He will be the core of this team for years and along with JT help anchor a stud oline.

I don't think people get how huge this is for our franchise given the division we play in. An absolute no brainer pick to me and after they dropped down it made complete sense to continue the drop once they knew they had their guy.

Alo and I were talking centers and I absolutely believe that center is one of the key components to a winning football team, and smart ones are even better. To me, this is exciting.

I love the Mack pick and I also liked Maclin. The way I look at it is you can never go wrong with a quality center. This guy is from great genes, smart (Draddy Trophy for Academic Heisman), athletic and bad. He will be the core of this team for years and along with JT help anchor a stud oline.

I don't think people get how huge this is for our franchise given the division we play in. An absolute no brainer pick to me and after they dropped down it made complete sense to continue the drop once they knew they had their guy.

Alo and I were talking centers and I absolutely believe that center is one of the key components to a winning football team, and smart ones are even better. To me, this is exciting.

Great post, Riff.

What's hilarious to me about Solon's POV (and those who agree with that mindset) is that we talk ceaselessly about wanting to play "Browns football" which supposedly means gritty, tough, bad-ass, cold-weather, knock you off the ball-type football.

And then some of us want to draft a small, quick WR instead of the big, smart, tough C as our first round pick?

Please.

Those of us who ACTUALLY want to see the above type of football SHOULD LOVE THIS FREAKING DRAFT.

We got big, tough, mature, productive players with our first four picks. All four SHOULD play this year, which is amazing for any draft but especially for us right now.

Not to mention that getting four top 52 picks is amazing all by itself.

There's nothing not to like. This is a GREAT step forward for us.

You guys are Jack and Knowitall's alternate egos...... I hope Mack starts day 1....machlin would have and been an immediate contributor.

You can play your little games all you want, take your jabs all you want. i'd have taken Wells or Machlin over a center. It is my opinion...it isn't hillarious...you want gritty badass coldweather football...drafting wells instead of keeping tippy toes around is the answer...again my opinion. if you don't like my opinion...matters not. I been right a hell of a lot more than wrong....peace and have a nice day

Guest Masters
you want gritty badass coldweather football...

Can't do that if your center is pushed back into the backfield and your G's can't get up field because they have to help that C. Wells is any other back if DT's and LBs are in the backfield when he gets to the line.

Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

Agreed. i loved Fraley, but he was spiraling down pretty fast. Hadnot is simply not very good.

If we can pencil Mack into the lineup for the next eight years, then we're going to look back and like this draft. Let's hope that is the case.

Here is the FINAL POST DRAFT Press conference by Mankok:

CLICK HERE TO START VIDEO

These guys are funny. They aren't off-putting like Belichick, they are kind off laid-back and polite. If they weren't in charge of an NFL franchise they'd be on a barstool watching the games on Sundays. Just regular guys.

And they just pulled off a blockbuster weekend in the history of the Browns. I love this draft.

We traded Sanchez' rights and came up with 7 football players in his place, including a first round lineman, and need-players and depth all over the place. Plus the two receivers and the linebacker from USC ... damn we picked up about 20% of our roster this weekend ... and held on to DA & BE (I knew BQ wasn't going anywhere).

This draft was colossal.

Zombo

You guys are Jack and Knowitall's alternate egos...... I hope Mack starts day 1....machlin would have and been an immediate contributor.

You can play your little games all you want, take your jabs all you want. i'd have taken Wells or Machlin over a center. It is my opinion...it isn't hillarious...you want gritty badass coldweather football...drafting wells instead of keeping tippy toes around is the answer...again my opinion. if you don't like my opinion...matters not. I been right a hell of a lot more than wrong....peace and have a nice day

Solon, my bad, man. Sincerely. I didn't mean to attack you personally, I used your name as an example of fans who wanted the splashy guy. Nothing wrong with that idea, just not one I agree with.

Maclin would have been an immediate contributor but at a deeper position. Same with Wells.

There just aren't that many starting centers.

Anyway, your point is valid but I guess my point is: why the love for Maclin and none for Mack? Doesn't make sense to me is all...

Hmmm...I don't hate the mack pick...its a solid pick. Machlin is a game changer, a top 10 talent that we could have gotten at #19 when we desperately needed a receiver... call me stupid all you want! To Ocon...yes to machlin over robo

These guys are funny. They aren't off-putting like Belichick, they are kind off laid-back and polite. If they weren't in charge of an NFL franchise they'd be on a barstool watching the games on Sundays. Just regular guys.

And they just pulled off a blockbuster weekend in the history of the Browns. I love this draft.

We traded Sanchez' rights and came up with 7 football players in his place, including a first round lineman, and need-players and depth all over the place. Plus the two receivers and the linebacker from USC ... damn we picked up about 20% of our roster this weekend ... and held on to DA & BE (I knew BQ wasn't going anywhere).

This draft was colossal.

Zombo

They're building the foundation properly. We knew they couldn't do it all this year, but they did a hell of a job for year one after being left screwed.

Archived