THE BROWNS BOARD

Early fake punt from your own end

flyingfooldoug

But not having a kicker in the backfield has to be worth something.

No punter or QB in the backfield. Gee....I wonder what they're gonna do.

I don't care if plays like that even work...they're dumb.

That's on Hue and it has to go on his ledger.

There was nothing wrong with the play call... just when it was called. If this was called late in the game? I don't think I would have had any problems with it.

The thing that was really pisses me me off about that is that it's a 4th and 5 and it was obvious they were going for it. Run that play on 4th and 1, maybe. But to make a blatantly obvious "fake" in that scenario was just a bad, bad coaching decision. Hell, if you want to be aggressive at least run a normal offense there and not that crap.

There was nothing wrong with the play call... just when it was called. If this was called late in the game? I don't think I would have had any problems with it.

1. The punter being used as a blocker (something he never does)

2. The long snapper being used as a pulling blocker (something he never does)

3. A guy who doesn't long snap doing the long snap (something he never does)

4. Nothing resembling a punt or pass play.....hmmmmm maybe the lone guy (a running back) in the backfield is going to try to run?

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points and maybe i should have used better words to express my meaning... Just trying to say that from what I saw, we didn't lose because of that play. We lost because we look like a team of cream puffs who are afraid to hit and tackle. If I have any real bitch with the play calling it would be that fact that our coaches are still afraid of establishing a running game.

1. The punter being used as a blocker (something he never does)

2. The long snapper being used as a pulling blocker (something he never does)

3. A guy who doesn't long snap doing the long snap (something he never does)

4. Nothing resembling a punt or pass play.....hmmmmm maybe the lone guy (a running back) in the backfield is going to try to run?

If Duke saw the play was doomed from the get-go, he could have done a pooch punt. I noticed on the replay the snap way high. That's a trait Erving better fix, and quick. The whoopsie for a safety wasn't the first time he's sent a blooper far over the qbs head.

With better field position AND a formation that made sense perhaps to shake things up. Late in the game from where they were and a formation that makes sense again fine. It truly was an indefensible call. I cannot understand at all what he was thinking.

Beyond that, how much time was left in the game when he sent Griffin in to run the clock with three straight hand offs with his good arm? Someone told me there was over a minute.

Archived