THE BROWNS BOARD

Why we should be excited that Josh McCown is starting

Adoug319

Josh McCown isn't going to win us games.. And we shouldn't want him to. The higher draft position we get, the better. That being said...

We should be excited because Josh will give us a glimpse of what a "real" quarterback can do with our offense. And by real I mean one who can stand in the pocket and go through progressions. A QB who can change protections at the line and understand the opposing teams defense.

Those are things RG3 struggled with. If he played there would've been some fun plays, but overall it would be inconsistent and frustrating, much like the opener.

Be happy that We have more traditional pocket passer now, because now we will see what this offense more so will look like when we draft our QB #1 next year.

Here's to 0-16

Also: Mik.. I'm eating Crow. RG3 was trash, I bought into the hype and thought he'd be different than in Washigton. Even if he stayed healthy, we all know he was garbage. Of his two big plays, one was under thrown into triple coverage and the other was a Randy Moss type catch by Pryor. The rest was hot garbage.

There is actually a larger play at work here.......and I must admit that this in not my thought, but overheard on the radio today:

What does McCown give the Browns: A chance for the Rookies and other young players on this team to develop.

McCown will help the likes of Drango, Coleman, Bailey attain some confidence in themselves.

It will give the young receivers (and I include Pryor in this) a chance to develop: Coleman, Higgins, Payton etc.

It will even help the defense and the young players on there not be overwhelmed, not be on the field for 40 minutes a game.

I'm pretty sure our chances of going 0 -16 were much more realistic with RG3, than McCown.

Yeah, if anything I think McCown was the "par for the course" option. RG3 was boom or bust and he landed flat on his face. I actually think McCown with the players around him could garner a 3-4 win season if healthy (wow, that's sad to say out loud). The problem becomes if that 3-4 wins misses out on the first pick again which we likely will be coveting.

McCown should have been the #1 from day 1.

But it would be much nicer if we had McCown paired with a promising rookie that could potentially be our QBOTF, unfortunately we don't have that.

McCown will go out and give us a chance to look competent, and probably retire on a stretcher after this season - and we'll be in a whole new cluster f*** at quarterback next offseason again.

Josh McCown isn't going to win us games.. And we shouldn't want him to. The higher draft position we get, the better. That being said...

We should be excited because Josh will give us a glimpse of what a "real" quarterback can do with our offense. And by real I mean one who can stand in the pocket and go through progressions. A QB who can change protections at the line and understand the opposing teams defense.

Those are things RG3 struggled with. If he played there would've been some fun plays, but overall it would be inconsistent and frustrating, much like the opener.

Be happy that We have more traditional pocket passer now, because now we will see what this offense more so will look like when we draft our QB #1 next year.

Here's to 0-16

I'm so excited I could shit. Think I will.

If he can stay healthy behind that Oline, I think McCown could have some pretty good games. He will actually have more than one person who is over 6 ft. tall to throw the ball to which should help him out alot. Its hard to hit such small targets consistently and Barnidge aside, they were all midgets last year. Heres to hope!

If,when & however the ball is released from Josh it's usually is in a catch-able radius of our receiver. As I watched Josh last season lay out Hartline,Gabe & Hawk walking into defenders. It sure would be nice to watch our WR's have more fight for the ball than the defenders. Go Drago Go!!

Here's to 0-16

My take. If Griffin still can't read a defense after 4 years and intensive off season training by Hue- He's never going to be able to do it. As Tour mentioned Griffin just takes too damn long to process what's going on. Most of his completions against the Eagles were dump offs. Add in, he has near zero pocket presence. Jackson puts Robert back in- it's just a matter of time before he get killed again.

McC gives us our best chance... and this week that may even equate to a decent chance. But I have three concerns:

1. The timing that McC depends upon to be successful won't be established with inexperienced WRs in a single week. In part I think Gabe was called up from the PS to be a familiar face come Sunday.
  2. We don't present a viable run threat to set up McC's PA game.
  3. Suggs is looking good and historically gives JT fits. He should eat Paztor alive. But on a brighter note, it's not looking like Dumervil will play.

McC gives us our best chance... and this week that may even equate to a decent chance. But I have three concerns:

1. In part I think Gabe was called up from the PS to be a familiar face come Sunday.
  2. But on a brighter note, it's not looking like Dumervil will play.

1.That Gabe landed in Atlanta. PS Gabe plays DL from lions(don't blame you thou. Printed roster is no help either) 3.No WR Perriman either Shefty reports setback on leg

I said on Sunday Josh would give the rookies a chance to develop for next year. I also said he would win some games too. Now I can put Gary Barnidge back in my Fantasy Football lineup. McCown and Barnidge had a good game last year against the Ravens.

The Browns do not have to tank to draft a QB! They have 2 picks! Notre Dame & Clemson have QB's the "experts" are talking about but it's too early!

Browns 27

Ravens 21

Here's to 0-16

I'll be a goddamnedsonofabitch if I start praying for a high draft pick in week 2!

You can fuck right off with that 0-16 dogshit.

1.That Gabe landed in Atlanta. PS Gabe plays DL from lions(don't blame you thou. Printed roster is no help either)

lol.... thanks... Knew we waived WR "Gabe"; missed that ATL picked him up. Nevertheless should have been able to tell him from a 6'2, 284 lb. DE... ;)

McCown has the respect of the players around him. dude is a leader. and he can beat the ravens, bank on it.

it's our D i'm worried about.

if you would have swapped mccown and fitzpatrick last yr team for team, mccown would have shined and fitzpatrick would have looked like shit...Mcownj is a good qb who played for the shitiest teams in the nfl...

ill probably come back to the real world around week 7 or so. As a Browns fan week 2 is about blind hope and optimism, not being left to languish under the crippling weight of logic and reason.

LOL!

But in week 9 this is when the team starts to turn. :D

Archived