THE BROWNS BOARD

What we are up against Sunday

TexasAg1969

Basic coaching 101

The first 4 years of Belichick in Cleveland didn't look anything like the first 4 years of him in NE. The difference? NE still had a nucleus of players from their last Superbowl team like Willie McGinest, Ted Johnson, Drew Bledsoe and others. In Cleveland, he took over a hornet's nest. And when he brought Vinny T here who got injured - we ended up watching the Todd Philcox football follies the rest of the year. Poor guy...

Why all that? When you're playing gridiron chess with more pawns than attack pieces against teams with more attack pieces than pawns, it's pretty easy to ask why all the penalties and mistakes. When Joe Thomas faces his most challenging pass rushers, that's usually when he's most apt to get busted for a false start or a holding penalty. Now imagine how much others that are far more challenged and far less experienced tend to get flagged.

The first 4 years of Belichick in Cleveland didn't look anything like the first 4 years of him in NE. The difference? NE still had a nucleus of players from their last Superbowl team like Willie McGinest, Ted Johnson, Drew Bledsoe and others. In Cleveland, he took over a hornet's nest. And when he brought Vinny T here who got injured - we ended up watching the Todd Philcox football follies the rest of the year. Poor guy...

Why all that? When you're playing gridiron chess with more pawns than attack pieces against teams with more attack pieces than pawns, it's pretty easy to ask why all the penalties and mistakes. When Joe Thomas faces his most challenging pass rushers, that's usually when he's most apt to get busted for a false start or a holding penalty. Now imagine how much others that are far more challenged and far less experienced tend to get flagged.

Wasn't BB a ,1st time coach in Cle? And Hue isn't. Once again, the NFL is a coach and QB league. I know we don't have one but what about the other. Let's punt from our own end early in the game.....uh, why did he get fired in Oakland again?

Yes, CLE was Bill B's first HC gig...

After throwing up 31 on a decent defense? Why? I hate coach firings.

It's a GoT move... Rex eliminated his only logical replacement should the owner want to fire Rex.

Wasn't BB a ,1st time coach in Cle? And Hue isn't. Once again, the NFL is a coach and QB league. I know we don't have one but what about the other. Let's punt from our own end early in the game.....uh, why did he get fired in Oakland again?

So, you're saying 8-8 was a trainwreck in Oakland when you see what was sandwiched around that? By that criteria, BB would have been fired here before he ever got a chance to make the playoffs so there is that...

You didn't see where Oakland was drafting in 2014 and 2015? Hue came over here from Cincy. No problem - the internet is here for you.

I've become a Missouri kind of guy. I need to see it. I put the whole mess in Haslam's lap. He is far from a shrewd ownwer and is as clueless as he was when his execs were running amok.

The Bills lost 4 defensive starters and Tyrod Taylor won't finish the season. Cardale Jones will be starting by week 7. Sammy Watkins is a bust because he can't stay healthy!

If the Ravens defense is healthy then the jury is still out. They were injured last year when we played them. I want the Browns to win of course! But my expectations for this season are not good. Cody Kessler in the third round was foolish! I would have gambled on Cardale Jones before taking a smallish QB with a weak arm to play in Cleveland.

Archived