THE BROWNS BOARD

The Battle of The Bastards

The Gipper

The Battle of The Bastards

Taken from a Game of Thrones episode. This should be the eponym of any game that is played between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Baltimore Ravens.

These teams are the disjecta smegma of the Cleveland Browns....created out of hubris, resentment, betrayal.

Now, this week, we have the Bengals vs. the Steelers. While this game is not The Battle of the Bastards, it would be more like a battle between Ramsey Bolton and Cersei Lannister (to carry out the GOT analogy). A game between two truly despicable entities.

What is game of thrones!???

Cincinnati v Baltimore

Battle of the former spouses, doesn't get much messier. Who do you root against more?

You mean the meat wagon? Yes, that is always where my sentiments lie when our AFCN counterparts play each other.

2015-09-27T230322Z_1_MTZEB9RCVXM5O_RTRFI

Takes a rapist to give a cart girl a black eye..Them not Zoey's

Not former spouses. Bastards. Both literally and figuratively.

Former spouses could be bastards too. ;)

Still what a legacy!

I cant bring myself to wish an opposing player gets hurt and carted off...probably because I have no reason to be bitter I guess.

I don't really wish it either...its just smack talk. But it doesn't make me regretful when it happens merely because so many Browns players have had that happen to them. So its just a matter of equity.

I don't really wish it either...its just smack talk. But it doesn't make me regretful when it happens merely because so many Browns players have had that happen to them. So its just a matter of equity.

That's fair, and I admit I aint getting upset when an opposing star player goes down during a game...I say "oh well" its part of the game. Never will wish it though.

Would you like to put some money on it. I am cash short right now.

How do you bet on a point of view? Don't think there is a right or wrong here.

Not the current players, but the Ravens organization used to be the Browns. The entire team and FO moved there, and their descendants are the current Ravens.

The only Brown remaining is Ozzie Newsome.

You say they were spawned. I can't imagine an egg laying analogy, but I'm sure your explanation will be reasonable.

I also view the Ravens as having been the old browns. I know Gipper fights to the death about the legal status but that is just a lawyer trying to win an argument. The old Browns are the Ravens now and they took the mojo that the 80s browns that I watched as a kid with them. The current Browns are the Browns now, but the organization has never and will never be the same entity that I watched back then.

I hate the Ravens for that and it really bums me out because those two superbowls should belong to us.

mjp28, on 15 Sept 2016 - 10:25 PM, said:

Former spouses could be bastards too. ;)

Though I guess we would call them bitches rather than Bastards.

Actually kind of like playing word games this week, spouses of wives could be bastards.

I do notice not a whole lot of extra commentary here on this week's game (from vegasinsider.com )

09/18 1:00 PM

267 Baltimore

268 Cleveland +2' open 43' now +6 42' <---- this line shot way up

CLE-QB-Josh McCown-Probable | CLE-QB-Robert Griffin III-OUT | TV: CBS, DTV: 705 | MOSTLY CLOUDY, 40% CHANCE SHOWER/STORMS. SOUTHWEST WIND 7-12. GAME TEMP 72, RH 84% HEAT INDEX 76

So there you go. .......

How do you bet on a point of view? Don't think there is a right or wrong here.

It is NOT a point of view.....it is an objective fact from a legal perspective.

Not the current players, but the Ravens organization used to be the Browns.

NO, it didn't that is my point. The Ravens are and always have been a completely separate NFL franchise.

The Cleveland Browns NEVER discontinued operations.

The entire team and FO moved there, and their descendants are the current Ravens.

The only Brown remaining is Ozzie Newsome.

SOME personell moved there. Once upon a time Eric Mangini coached the Jets, then he coached the Browns. He used to work for the Jets. Does that mean that the Browns used to be the Jets? No. Same difference.

Contracts of some players and some other personell were assigned.

We just traded Justin Gilbert to the Steelers, his contract was assigned to them. Does that mean that the Steelers used to be the Browns?

Just because there was somewhat of an en masse assignment of player contracts does not mean that the franchise changed.

I say again, the Cleveland Browns NEVER discontinued operations. The franchise always remained. It had an on field hiatus, and a transfer of ownership, but that's it. No different really than when Haslam bought the Browns from Lerner.

(by the way, I am not sure that Ozzie actually worked for the Browns FO....he certainly was not their GM...would have to check on that)

You say they were spawned. I can't imagine an egg laying analogy, but I'm sure your explanation will be reasonable.

Fertilized, gave birth to. Yes, there is certainly a lineal connection between the two franchises.

But, you are not your father are you. You are a separate person/entity. Same here.

Archived