THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackon Became Too Focused on RG3

CaineDeSoulis

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-hue-jackson-reportedly-became-too-focused-on-trying-to-fix-rg3/

First-year Browns coach Hue Jackson has a history of getting the most out of his quarterbacks, and the hope was that he'd be able to do exactly that with reclamation project Robert Griffin III, who signed this offseason and was named the starter last month.

After a forgettable debut that ended with Griffin suffering a shoulder injury and landing on injured reserve, we may never know. It's possible that he doesn't start again for the Browns this season -- or ever.

And while this isn't great news for Griffin, it could be for the Browns.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Jackson had become too focused on making Griffin great again. Now since that is no longer a priority, the team can move forward with Josh McCown, the 37-year-old who was under center in Week 1 of the 2015 season and finds himself back in the starting lineup.

In August, before the Cowboys knew what they had in rookie Dak Prescott, there were reports that they were interested in trading for McCown. The Browns were hesitant, and Jackson spoke highly of the veteran.

"He's done a tremendous job and what a good football player,'' Jackson said at the time. "I'm really grateful to have him here and be around him. I think all of the quarterbacks are, too, because he's been outstanding."

hue-jackson.jpgHue Jackson's reboot of RG3 is now officially on hold. USATSI

Perhaps more grateful now than ever.

Meanwhile, Browns rookie third-rounder Cody Kessler isn't close to being ready and, Schefter writes, "expectations for him aren't particularly high" -- at least not at this point.

Kessler's selection in the draft was met with understandable skepticism from long-suffering Browns fans, but Jackson has been preaching patience since the spring.

"[Kessler] guy has had a tremendous [college] career, Jackson said in late April. "I understand where everybody is coming from, but you've got to trust me on this one. This is a guy that we feel very comfortable with, and we think he's going to have an opportunity to ascend."

Just not yet. Put another way: The Browns will go as far as McCown's arm takes them in 2016, and perhaps that's farther than anything Griffin could have managed. Whether that's to impress a beaten-down fan base is another matter.

Alot of stuff in this article what does everyone think?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Why Hue fell in love with RG3 remains a mystery, McCown is a better quarterback and was always a better choice to be the starter - but Hue chose to start the worse option anyway

2) RG3 will probably start for the browns again this season, I suspect McCown won't make it 15 games.

3) Thank god we didn't trade McCown, starting Kessler in week 2 would probably have been a disaster.

4) I don't "trust hue on this one." Everybody agrees with overdrafted Kessler, and he hasn't shown us anything in the pre-season.

5) We're probably going to draft a top QB in 2017

1) Why Hue fell in love with RG3 remains a mystery, McCown is a better quarterback and was always a better choice to be the starter - but Hue chose to start the worse option anyway - RG3 is a workout warrior - exceptional athleticism for the position and in general, great arm strength, but nothing outside the arms and legs.

2) RG3 will probably start for the browns again this season, I suspect McCown won't make it 15 games. Agreed

3) Thank god we didn't trade McCown, starting Kessler in week 2 would probably have been a disaster. Agreed

4) I don't "trust hue on this one." Everybody agrees with overdrafted Kessler, and he hasn't shown us anything in the pre-season. See: Mannion, Sean. Kessler will be a footnote in the history of the browns' greatness after...

5) We're probably going to draft a top QB in 2017 - Agreed.

I don't think it's as huge of a deal as people are making it out to be. If Wentz ends up being the real deal QB, that's the "holy shit, we fucked up" history note.

We know what we have in McCown, and that's a decent, back-up level talent. It's not like this team was pining for more than 3-4 wins even with Josh, so Hue went with the "boom or bust" choice in RG3 over McCown. That obviously blew up in about the worst way possible but I don't blame him for going that route between the two. It's 100% clear now that while RG3 has talent at the position, he just will never get out of his own way. I'm sure Hue will see that too. But honestly, given the QB situation what did bringing in RG3 and hoping for a rebirth hurt? Nothing at all except MAYBE (this is where I don't buy it) some development of Kessler. Even IF that's true, we're talking about a very short period of time given how it's panned out.

The scenario with Kessler is still unfolding so I'm not going to speculate on "good or bad" on that yet nor should anyone. As we know, it's pretty damn likely we're gonna see Kessler suit up so let's just see how that plays out on the field before saying it was stupid or not.

With Kessler, I'm hoping he can at least develop in to a solid backup who has a lot of experience in Hue's system and will be riding the pine in Cleveland for the next 15 years behind Peyton Montana or Tom Marino or whatever our future HoF QB's name is.

I do think we are going to look better on offense this week with McCown under center. Not sure why Hue went all in on RG3, but now his hand is forced and I'm fine with that.

If our FO is truly using stats, math, tea leaves or whatever the fuck they're using, then the RG3 experiment should be over, as he has proven beyond an OJ type shadow of a doubt that he will never be able to stay healthy in the NFL for an extended period of time... and the last time I looked, that's kinda important.

I don't think it's as huge of a deal as people are making it out to be.

That depends on the extent that it is true and whether the lesson Hue takes away is proportional to the story's "truthiness".

If the head of an organization, e.g., an NFL staff, operates at the wrong level too much of the time, then organizational dysfunction is the result. The top dog is either stepping on the responsibilities of others or ignoring the bigger picture including other areas. It's the kind of dysfunction that creates "leaks" like that letting this "story" out.

Isn't this the first leak of the new regime?

1) Why Hue fell in love with RG3 remains a mystery, McCown is a better quarterback and was always a better choice to be the starter - but Hue chose to start the worse option anyway - RG3 is a workout warrior - exceptional athleticism for the position and in general, great arm strength, but nothing outside the arms and legs. Hue, did you read any of the scouting reports, or watch some tape of his games? Every flaw in those reports was evident game one. Same old RG III- and showed why the Redskins dumped him. Or you think you could perform a near miracle with good coaching?

2) RG3 will probably start for the browns again this season, I suspect McCown won't make it 15 games. Agreed

3) Thank god we didn't trade McCown, starting Kessler in week 2 would probably have been a disaster. Agreed

4) I don't "trust hue on this one." Everybody agrees with overdrafted Kessler, and he hasn't shown us anything in the pre-season. See: Mannion, Sean. Kessler will be a footnote in the history of the browns' greatness after... ditto. I don't trust Hue's judgement either. Right now Kessler looks like the second coming of Colt McCoy (maybe).

5) We're probably going to draft a top QB in 2017 - Agreed.

^^^^ Pretty much nailed it Chris. As I've said elsewhere, what did Hue see in Griffin that he didn't see in Wentz? Unless he was overruled by a FO enamored about amassing future draft picks. That would be a very bad start to organizational chemistry.

5) Assuming this season sucks as bad as predicted, we had better draft one of the Ds next year Watson or Kiser.

^^^^ Pretty much nailed it Chris. As I've said elsewhere, what did Hue see in Griffin that he didn't see in Wentz? Unless he was overruled by a FO enamored about amassing future draft picks. That would be a very bad start to organizational chemistry.

5) Assuming this season sucks as bad as predicted, we had better draft one of the Ds next year Watson or Kiser.

Per a theory proposed by one member of this board, Hue's sole interest was in having a black QB on board. And he did not like Goff/Wentz because neither of them were black...and wanted to wait for next year for Watson.

I am not sure that I buy that....but it was a theory proposed.

It seems to me that is Hue wanted only black QBs, he would not have taken Kessler over Brisset or Prescott.

Per a theory proposed by one member of this board, Hue's sole interest was in having a black QB on board. And he did not like Goff/Wentz because neither of them were black...and wanted to wait for next year for Watson.

It seems to me that is Hue wanted only black QBs, he would not have taken Kessler over Brisset or Prescott.

LOL, that's definitely not the case. but I spoke with someone who saw every Cody Kessler game a few days ago, and they said they believed he'd be "nothing special" as an NFL QB.

LOL, that's definitely not the case. but I spoke with someone who saw every Cody Kessler game a few days ago, and they said they believed he'd be "nothing special" as an NFL QB.

He hasn't shown anything special yet. But then, I suspect that a lot of the same was said about Brian Sipe.

Oh brother.

The guy that brought Carson Palmer to Oakland and Cody Kessler to Cleveland and made stars out of Joe Flacco and And Dalton must have a black QB as starter ... lol.

Griffin was a former #2 overall pick that was cheap and available, and once LA traded up to get Hue's boy Goff (white as the driven snow) we traded out on Wentz to gamble on RG3 for a year, knowing we would be a major player in the 2017 draft with a very young team and two first rounders.

Here, is our latest QB hire, Hogan is usually an Irish name, but you better check his lineage for sure:

201512565f2cb18cab8.JPG

Just wondering if we are choosing starters on the color of their skin on the other side of the ball too, because our Black GM, Black HC and Black DC just made starters out of third round pick Carl Nassib and 4th round pick Joe Schobert ... somebody better tell them they are white.

Zombo

Right. Because we have a bunch of racist fucks on this board

Oh brother.

The guy that brought Carson Palmer to Oakland and Cody Kessler to Cleveland and made stars out of Joe Flacco and And Dalton must have a black QB as starter ... lol.

Griffin was a former #2 overall pick that was cheap and available, and once LA traded up to get Hue's boy Goff (white as the driven snow) we traded out on Wentz to gamble on RG3 for a year, knowing we would be a major player in the 2017 draft with a very young team and two first rounders.

Here, is our latest QB hire, Hogan is usually an Irish name, but you better check his lineage for sure:

Just wondering if we are choosing starters on the color of their skin on the other side of the ball too, because our Black GM, Black HC and Black DC just made starters out of third round pick Carl Nassib and 4th round pick Joe Schobert ... somebody better tell them they are white.

Zombo

Calculated gamble Z. Kessler? Ummm.... here's what PFF had to say. https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-cody-kessler-qb-usc/

Yeah- the reaction when we drafted him was Cody who? The sarcasm in me says didn't Holmgren say pretty much the same thing about McCoy? Give me one of the Ds next year please. Golly gee- they're both black. Maybe Hue will have the earth move under his feet when he scouts them next spring. No guarantee Kiser will declare. And we always have those fast risers like Wentz. :)

Gee I was just SO wrong. What was I thinking? Hue's going to be another Tony Dungy. Nassib? DROY. Kessler will be another Drew Brees. Happy now? Man, I'm done, with a capital D.

So sorry I was raining on the happiness train. I have plenty of other things I could do other than waste a lot of time on the Board.

Gee I was just SO wrong. What was I thinking? Hue's going to be another Tony Dungy. Nassib? DROY. Kessler will be another Drew Brees. Happy now? Man, I'm done, with a capital D.

So sorry I was raining on the happiness train. I have plenty of other things I could do other than waste a lot of time on the Board.

So if your old lady keeps nagging you about past problems in the current, you just sit and indulge her in bringing up that stuff or do you desperately wish she would let it go?

Because the people moping and bitching in the current won't let it go even though it is a totally different regime using a different approach.

I would rather not rehash the time I boned a girl while we were on a break 15 years ago, Susies of the Brownsboard.

I'm getting confused. Last week we needed to "trust Hue" that Kessler needed to be inactivated because he "wasn't ready" for the NFL, but this week we need to "trust Hue" that he is fully ready to be the backup for a fragile McCown?

OK seems to be a sound plan to me. :blink:

So if your old lady keeps nagging you about past problems in the current, you just sit and indulge her in bringing up that stuff or do you desperately wish she would let it go?

Because the people moping and bitching in the current won't let it go even though it is a totally different regime using a different approach.

I would rather not rehash the time I boned a girl while we were on a break 15 years ago, Susies of the Brownsboard.

Hoorta learned if he wants more attention when he posts, he needs to be a drama queen while pretending he's been saved prior to sharing he needs half a vineyard to dull the pain the Browns cause him on Sundays.

I guess the other theory is maybe there's a Sorority Herald looking for someone with enough pms to write about what just started to go wrong with the Cleveland Browns for the very first time in 2016. Stay tuned...

Archived