THE BROWNS BOARD

Maiava

We need Tom Tupa

Good boar hunting

Rookie linebacker Kaluka Maiava doesn’t have much respect for hunters that kill their game with a gun.

"That’s cheating," he said Saturday in the locker room. "Anybody can shoot something."

Maiava might have more respect for the bow and arrow hunters, but even that is too cowardly for him. Maiava uses a knife when he hunts, and he doesn’t hunt rabbits or squirrels. He runs in the mountains on the island of Maui tracking down and killing wild boar using a nine-inch blade.

"I use a knife and stick them a couple times," Maiava said. "I take my dogs with me."

Maiava has been hunting boar since he was 15. He said he has never been gored, but he has lost a couple dogs. Now that he is in the NFL, though, he will have to put boar hunting on hold. Some hobbies such as motorcycle riding and skydiving are forbidden in NFL contracts. Boar hunting can be added to the list.

"Every time I go I’m nervous," he said. "Sometimes you run into a big one. They have tusks that can hurt you. You see him and chase it down. It’s fun. Say you’re on the kickoff team and you’re chasing down the kick returner, you chase him down."

Maiava twice was voted the USC co-special teams player of the year. He figures to be an integral part of the Browns special teams.

Wow. Woudn't have expected that. I didn't know they had boars in Maui, maybe Kaui...

I reckon he'll be a player you don't want to me head on in the Browns' defense or special teams.

I love this draft.

Great post.

Wow. Woudn't have expected that. I didn't know they had boars in Maui, maybe Kaui...

I reckon he'll be a player you don't want to me head on in the Browns' defense or special teams.

I love this draft.

Great post.

Ever hear of a luau?? ;)

I doubt it was a wild boar.....probably more like a wild pig ..there is a difference.

I remember hearing stories of Nick Speegle hunting bear with a pocket knife blah blah blah.

None of this crap matters unless these boys can play some ball.

Also, he has dogs with him when hunting those things, which means the dogs run the animal until it is completely useless then he comes in and sticks a knife into an animal that's exhausted and taking on several dogs. Big whoopty do, but then again I've always considered hunting with dogs (whether it be deer or anything) a total pussy way to hunt that is completely unfair to the animal.

I agree....except for birds...I like the dogs to flush them out, and even more when they go pick them up. ;)

Obviously dogs have their place with rabbit and bird hunting etc, but I don't like the concept of pack dog hunting, period. Now if we're talking about protecting farms et al from destruction of wild boar or coyote packs that's a total different thing.

Since you know Gainesville Peen, my first experience with using Walker dogs to hunt deer was up in Lake Butler with some serious good ole boys. Their concept of hunting is to down a case on the side of the road and wait until the deer run out into the open exhausted from the Walker's chasing them. Course, the deer are about as big as the dogs. Or, they will get in their trucks and drive over to the next road and meet the deer.

They think the real deer hunting we do up here is mind boggling and shit themselves when they see a real rack.

I also consider the treatment of the dogs to be borderline animal abuse.

I knew what you were talking about......dog hunting is more a southern deal...I will say I have been coon hunting and dogs are necessary...hard for us humans to see up in the trees at night....and have been on some boar hunts and had some dogs, but yeah...I don't like it.....much rather do it without.

No doubt the deer are bigger in those parts...different deer really..the heat stress keeps the deer leaner here...or less fattened up, whichever way you want to view it...and the heat I think tends to kill the animal a few years sooner....unlike people, I think they do better in cooler weather.

Hey....I might have known those boys you mentioned...lol.....indeed, you head west out of Gainesville and you start getting in to Dixie and Taylor counties....you have some pretty backwoods areas. Even large parts of Alachua are pretty downhome.

Okay, Mr. Ballpeen smartguy - you're probably right. A boar can get 800 lbs or more.

Wild pigs would be WAY smaller.

I still think none of us wants to hit him head on on the Browns' defense.

Archived