THE BROWNS BOARD

Philly Taught Me VERY GOOD Draft Lessons since 99

Flugel

Folks if you're looking for the hole in one in this draft you might be temporarily disappointed at this point. However, if you're for an appropriate strategy to address all 18 holes sensibly - you might end up pleasantly surprised. Kokinos inherited 4 picks for 2009 and he's turned that into 8 selections as well as adding 2 defensive starters via trade while replacing AARP at Center with Numero Uno. WR was another need so we added 2 guys in round 2 from BIG schools. We also added an LBer/DE from Hawaii that our scouts and braintrust love. As we've seen in the past - the Hole in One can get injured after singed via the draft or Free agency. Take your pick LeCharles Bentley or Courtney Brown. And when that happens, fair or not, it holds our fanbase hostage from the SIZE of the commitment. Winslow missed his 1st 2 years of football and has had countless surgeries and staph infections since.

Therefore, if you're frustrated you didn't get your dream guys just remember we're not the ones being paid to dot the i's and cross the t's. Try to think back to when Philly fans ONLY wanted to hear Ricky Williams name with the #5 overall. They got McNabb and booed their way to 5 NFC Championship Appearances and 1 SB while THE Ricky Williams has led his teams to ZERO Conference Championship appearances and took a marijuana sebatical away from football. And guess HOW Philly followed up the alleged end of the world as they knew it? They drafted a little no-name out of Villanova on DAY 2 by the name of Brian Westbrook. Wanna bet there was a whole lotta "WTF" being said again? Divine Intervention was kind to the city of Brotherly Love. How does the city that even boos Santa Claus lay claim to a label like "Brotherly Love?" Makes about as much sense as a band wanting to call itself War and singing "Why Can't We Be Friends?"

How about this: Where was Ryan Powell drafted for the NY Giants? How about the 1st Jamal Anderson for Atl or Terrell Davis in Denver? Ernest Byner and Brian Sipe wouldn't have even been drafted within 7 rounds. Willie Parker and James Harrison weren't considered draftworthy either so HANG IN THERE if you're feeling like that Philly fan that didn't get Ricky Williams and said WTF to Brian Westbrook.

There's STILL a RB like Ian Johnson out there that ran a sick 40 time when I watched him at Indy. He's my stashed hope for a RB to come in and compete that offers immediate help on STs as well. He's a fitness freak and i think he's got good hands out of the backfield. If that doesn't materialize - oh well. When it's all said and done - I think this will be a very efficient draft where we filled ALOT of holes in our roster with young players facing their best football ahead.

As you were,

- Tom F.

Flugs...Mack at center I'm ok with...however we passed on Alphonso smith and darius Butler at #36....I think we could have gotten Robo at 50...even if we don't we still have Mass...we better hope our Corners stay extremely healthy this year cause we have good ol hank poteat as backup...JMO!

Flugs...Mack at center I'm ok with...however we passed on Alphonso smith and darius Butler at #36....I think we could have gotten Robo at 50...even if we don't we still have Mass...we better hope our Corners stay extremely healthy this year cause we have good ol hank poteat as backup...JMO!

Now that it's all played out on day 2, we added 2 corners and a RB to go with an ILBer that was the 2009 Rose Bowl MVP (on a 3-4 D).

- Tom F.

Archived