THE BROWNS BOARD

R. Jennings still on the board- will he FALL!!!!

crikes

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pick sucked taking Davis over Jennings. Davis is very average and nothing in the category of Spiller. At least with Jennings you got a shot to hit on a guy with good size and speed. Davis is just ..........bleh

Wonder what happened to Jennings' stock? Crazy fall going on here.

LOVE our draft, from top to bottom.

Anyone else getting the feeling that we are going to have a REAL football team this year?

If nothing else, I think ManKok stayed true to his promise of finding "football players". All these guys seem like they have much better on-the-field results than measurables.

GREAT draft.

All these guys seem like they have much better on-the-field results than measurables.

We drafted an all-academic team (minus Francies) to be sure. I'm slowly but surely getting on board.

Wonder what happened to Jennings' stock? Crazy fall going on here.

LOVE our draft, from top to bottom.

Anyone else getting the feeling that we are going to have a REAL football team this year?

If nothing else, I think ManKok stayed true to his promise of finding "football players". All these guys seem like they have much better on-the-field results than measurables.

GREAT draft.

Yeah I dont know whats up with him about to fall to the 7th round - very surprising considering some people projected hime late 2nd early 3rd

This pick sucked taking Davis over Jennings. Davis is very average and nothing in the category of Spiller. At least with Jennings you got a shot to hit on a guy with good size and speed. Davis is just ..........bleh

I like it for a couple of reasons. The kid is extremely durable. I don't think he's ever been injured despite playing a lot since his freshman year.

He's just a solid football player. Nothing spectacular. But I think he's a sure thing to make this team even as a 6th rounder.

There is no risk/reward as there is in Jennings. Plus, there is something going on with this kid. There has to be a reason he continues the free fall. Something we don't know.

I was hoping we'd get Jennings as well.... Instead we got Davis James.... I have not heard of him yet.... Time to go do some research. :unsure:

EDIT: From NFL's website:

James Davis (RB)

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 218

College: Clemson

Conference: ACC

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

High School: Douglass

View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.6 seconds

Bench Press : 17.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 32.0 inches

Broad Jump : 109.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.15 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.37 seconds

Analysis

Positives: Tight skinned athlete with good overall musculature. Good all-around athleticism. Quick to the hole. Good lateral quickness to make defenders miss in the open field. Can stop and start to elude defenders and is a threat to gain big yardage every time he touches the ball. Not a bullish runner, but has good lower leg drive and is at his best when he gets significant carries. Flashes explosiveness and can run through tackles. Secure ball handler.

Negatives: Characterized as the "Thunder" in Clemson's "Thunder and Lightning" combo of he and C.J. Spiller, but isn't necessarily a strong interior runner. Effective interior downhill runner and will bowl over the occasional unsuspecting defender, but lacks the explosive power to gain the tough yards after contact. Only marginal production as a receiver, but shows the hands and body control to be productive in this area. Lacked effort and technique as a pass blocker and really struggled in this area during the Senior Bowl. Missed most of the 2008 spring recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.

I agree. Peerman would have been a much better choice. I doubt this kid will make the squad. But I hope he turns out great.

Except that we couldn't have chosen Peerman because he wasn't on the board even by our second 6th round pick.

I'm much happier with the Phantom USC 'backer we got. Another great value pick for us in this draft.

DeadWombat says: "We need to do some research"

I did SOME research :)

THUNDER!

589619m.jpg

Ht: 5-11 Wt: 207

Position: RB

Date of Birth: 01/01/1986

Class: Senior

High School: Douglass HS

(Atlanta, GA)

College: Clemson

Davis is a solid running back with good quickness and cutback ability. He possesses great vision and patience and is tough between the tackles. He has the speed to get on the edge, but isn’t an open field threat. He has good hands and can contribute in the passing game. He’s been a durable and productive performer during his career. – Chris Steuber, Scout.com

FROM DRAFT DOG:

James_Davis.jpg

Hear that sound? That is Thunder rolling into the 2008 NCAA Football Season. James Davis, the powerful running back for Clemson Tigers and his teammate and ultra quick fellow RB, C.J. Spiller, made up this past college seasons Thunder and Lighting duo. With past duos including 2006/2007’s Darren McFadden and Felix Jones along with 2005’s Reggie Bush and LenDale White, these two student athletes are primed to take every offensive award given out at the end of the year.

What made them formidable also may hold them back as NFL teams will always wonder if either tailback can do it on their own. His durability, toughness and vision make him a threat, but his understanding of the game, especially the blocking aspect, is what separates him from the other running backs of this year’s class. Although he lacks long speed, his ability to see the hole and hit it at the right time is impeccable.

The biggest part of this game he is going to have to work on is the passing elements in this offensive minded game. He has tight hips and although he runs with balance, he needs to be crisper in and out of his breaks. He does not catch with his hands very well. He reminds me of Laurence Maroney, the New England Patriots running back whom had a successful rookie campaign and a collegiate career at the University of Minnesota.

Teams that want to have a running back by committee will be extremely interested in Davis, whom can be a 2 down/short yardage back. With teams such as the Cowboys (Jones and Marion Barber), the Bears (Kevin Jones and Matt Forte), the Jaguars (Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew), etc. using at least 2 backs, Davis should find a home early in the draft process. I doubt he slips past the second round, and should be taken in the late first.

UPDATES

The season did not go well for the much hyped 2009 University of Clemson football team. With the back field of Davis and Spiller and the perceived notion that Cullen Harper was a top tiered QB, the Tigers seemed unstoppable on paper. With offensive line issues and Harper’s inability to lead the team, they spiraled down fast.

Davis still seemed to fight through the adversity, scoring 11 touchdowns and averaging 4.6 yards per carry. Although he was never going to measure in well at the combine, he surprised some by posting a 4.52 second 40 yard dash time (average of his Pro Day and Combine numbers) and a solid 17 on the bench press. Not superstar numbers, but better than expected. Davis will benefit from a zone blocking scheme, to utilize his great cutback/peripheral vision and his quick, rather than fast, feet.

Expect Davis to be a 4th or 5th round steal for some running back depleted team, like the Houston Texans.

COMBINE/PRO DAY

40 Yard Dash – 4.52

Wonderlic Test – 14

Bench Press - 17

AWARDS AND ACCOLADES

ü ACC Rookie-of-the-Year

ü Second-Team Freshman All-American By Rivals.Com And

ü Third-Team By Collegefootballnews.Com

ü Honorable Mention Freshman All-American By Sporting News

ü First-Team Freshman All-ACC By Sporting News

ü Honorable Mention All-ACC By AP/ACSMA

ü Two-Time National Freshman-Of-The-Week By Rivals.Com

ü Three-Time ACC Rookie-Of-The-Week

ü First-Team All-ACC Selection

ü National Offensive Player-Of-The-Week By The Walter Camp Foundation

ü First-Team All-ACC Selection

ü Two-Time Sportsline.Com Player-Of-The-Game

ü Four-Time Coaches Offensive Player-Of-The-Game

ü ABC/Chevrolet Player-Of-The-Game

ü Watch List Selection For The Maxwell Award;

ü Preseason First-Team All-ACC Choice By Athlon, Lindy's, Sporting News, Blue Ribbon, Phil Steele, USA Today, And Street & Smith

ü Preseason Honorable Mention All-American By Street & Smith.

ü First-Team Preseason All-American By Playboy

Man, if you'd told me before last college football season that James Davis would be a sixth round pick, I would've said you were crazy. If you dig up some preseason mocks, you'd probably find at least a few with him going in round one. I know Heck loved him... or am I dreaming that up?

Davis was rated high but Clemson and their program made a huge PR push for both he and Spiller last year and then laid an egg all over the place.

I've liked Davis while he played for Clemson but strictly as a solid college back, nothing more. He doesn't possess any type of game breaking speed or moves and is almost a liability in the passing game. Don't know about his blocking but he is not a tackle breaker either. Just nothing about him translates to being a success in the NFL. Spiller may not be as savvy a runner but could have a role for himself as a 3rd down back with his burner speed and receiving ability.

Guest Aloysius

Davis really hurt his draft stock by getting man-handled during blocking drills at the Senior Bowl, as well as dropping a few passes. Doesn't seem like the type of guy who'll be able to get on the field early in his career.

Davis really hurt his draft stock by getting man-handled during blocking drills at the Senior Bowl, as well as dropping a few passes. Doesn't seem like the type of guy who'll be able to get on the field early in his career.

Sutton would be a ten times better back in the NFL.

Jacksonville gets Jennings.

Crazy slide. Had to be how he stands straight up when he runs but damn, that size is pretty special and he's an athlete.

He had to set the record for being on Kipe's best player list the longest, he had going two or three.

Crazy slide. Had to be how he stands straight up when he runs but damn, that size is pretty special and he's an athlete.

He had to set the record for being on Kipe's best player list the longest, he had going two or three.

yeaH i cant believe he slid that far - something had to have happened to this guy that we did not know about - guys that didnt even go to the combine were getting drafted before him

Archived