THE BROWNS BOARD

Sum total of our draft day trade down approach

OconRecon

Summary of our trade results and draft:

From the Jets,

Brett Ratliff, QB will be the new #3 quarterback, and I've never seen him play or read one word about him, yet I can tell you this: as long as he has a heartbeat, he is an improvement over Ken Dorsey. He does have good size (6′4, 235) and he obviously is not a total stiff because Mangini coached him last year and was willing to bring him to Cleveland.

Abram Elam S, has three years of playing experience, having seen the field for Dallas (2006) and the Jets (2007-2008). Last season was his best season as he totaled 69 tackles, 2 sacks, and INT that he returned for a touchdown. The Browns have obvious needs in the secondary, so Elam provides what I would anticipate to be solid depth.

Kenyon Coleman, DE, is an 8-year veteran whose two most productive seasons were his two with the Jets. Prior to playing in New York, Coleman spent 6 uneventful seasons in Dallas and Oakland. Over the last two years, Coleman has amassed 136 total tackles and 2 sacks. He had 4 sacks for the Cowboys in a limited role in 2006. Again, he fills a need. The guy isn’t Michael Strahan, but can be a useful player with a couple of years experience playing for Mangini.

and then,

David Veikune, DE, Hawaii - Rd 2 - #20(52) from the Jets

Analysis: He will move from defensive end to a 3-4 linebacker. He plays hard all the time. The Browns need help here, so this is a solid pick.

Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State - Rd 6 - #18(191) from Bucs

Height: 6-0, Weight: 185, 40 Yard Dash: 4.59

Strengths: Ideal NFL height with a long athletic frame...shows good change of direction skills...comfortable pressing receivers at the line...aggressive player...natural athlete...fluid hips...shows good awareness...willing to support versus the run...really solid 2008 season...delivers a hard hit despite below average bulk. The well travelled Coye Francies is one of the most interesting corners in the draft.

James "Thunder" Davis, RB, Clemson - Rd 6 - #22(195) from the Vikings via the Eagles

Davis is a solid running back with good quickness and cutback ability. He possesses great vision and patience and is tough between the tackles. He has the speed to get on the edge, but isn’t an open field threat. He has good hands and can contribute in the passing game. He’s been a durable and productive performer during his career.

and for Winslow,

Mohamed Massaquoi WR, Georgia - from Bucs Round 2, Pick 18 (50)

Pick Analysis:The Browns continued to fortify their receiving corps with the selection of Massaquoi. The former Bulldog is a big, physical receiver with the starting potential. Though he has a penchant for dropping passes, Massaquoi put together a solid senior season and is an intriguing possibility as a third or fourth receiver.

and still managed to get,

Alex Mack C 6'4" 311 California - Round 1, Pick 21 (21) (From Eagles)

Pick Analysis:After moving down multiple times in the first round, the Browns tab Mack as their pivot of the future. The former Golden Bear has outstanding overall skills and should man the middle of the Browns' line for years. Although the move doesn't have the sizzle of other potential choices, it fortifies the interior of the team's offense and should improve its dismal running game.

Brian Robiskie WR 6'3" 209 Ohio State - Round 2, Pick 4 (36)

Pick Analysis:The most polished receiver in the draft falls to the Browns at No. 36. The former Buckeye is an exceptional route-runner with outstanding hands and ball skills. Though he isn't a classic deep threat, Robiskie is a big-play threat capable of being a productive No. 2 receiver in the Browns' offense.

Kaluka Maiava OLB 5'11½" 229 lbs, USC - Round 4 (104)

Quote: "I'm best at hitting and finding the ball, never stopping," said Maiava. "I always want to make the solo hit. I try to be like Ray Lewis and play with his intensity. He's always psyched and plays every down like it's his last. I'd like to be better on pass defense which I think is a little weak."

Don Carey CB 5'11¼" 192 lbs NORFOLK STATE - Round 6 (177)

Strengths - Solid instincts, good if not great speed has above average ball skills and is a physically tough tackler not afraid to come up in run support

Seems like a fairly solid draft to me.

Summary of our trade results:

From the Jets,

QB Brett Ratliff will be the new #3 quarterback, and I've never seen him play or read one word about him, yet I can tell you this: as long as he has a heartbeat, he is an improvement over Ken Dorsey. He does have good size (6′4, 235) and he obviously is not a total stiff because Mangini coached him last year and was willing to bring him to Cleveland.

S Abram Elam has three years of playing experience, having seen the field for Dallas (2006) and the Jets (2007-2008). Last season was his best season as he totaled 69 tackles, 2 sacks, and INT that he returned for a touchdown. The Browns have obvious needs in the secondary, so Elam provides what I would anticipate to be solid depth.

DE Kenyon Coleman is an 8-year veteran whose two most productive seasons were his two with the Jets. Prior to playing in New York, Coleman spent 6 uneventful seasons in Dallas and Oakland. Over the last two years, Coleman has amassed 136 total tackles and 2 sacks. He had 4 sacks for the Cowboys in a limited role in 2006. Again, he fills a need. The guy isn’t Michael Strahan, but can be a useful player with a couple of years experience playing for Mangini.

and then,

David Veikune, DE, Hawaii - from the Jets

Analysis: He will move from defensive end to a 3-4 linebacker. He plays hard all the time. The Browns need help here, so this is a solid pick.

Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State - from Bucs

Height: 6-0, Weight: 185, 40 Yard Dash: 4.59

Strengths: Ideal NFL height with a long athletic frame...shows good change of direction skills...comfortable pressing receivers at the line...aggressive player...natural athlete...fluid hips...shows good awareness...willing to support versus the run...really solid 2008 season...delivers a hard hit despite below average bulk. The well travelled Coye Francies is one of the most interesting corners in the draft.

James "Thunder" Davis, RB, Clemson - from the Vikings via the Eagles

Davis is a solid running back with good quickness and cutback ability. He possesses great vision and patience and is tough between the tackles. He has the speed to get on the edge, but isn’t an open field threat. He has good hands and can contribute in the passing game. He’s been a durable and productive performer during his career.

and for Winslow,

Mohamed Massaquoi WR, Georgia - from Bucs Round 2, Pick 18 (50)

Pick Analysis:The Browns continued to fortify their receiving corps with the selection of Massaquoi. The former Bulldog is a big, physical receiver with the starting potential. Though he has a penchant for dropping passes, Massaquoi put together a solid senior season and is an intriguing possibility as a third or fourth receiver.

and still managed to get,

Alex Mack C 6'4" 311 California - Round 1, Pick 21 (21) (From Eagles)

Pick Analysis:After moving down multiple times in the first round, the Browns tab Mack as their pivot of the future. The former Golden Bear has outstanding overall skills and should man the middle of the Browns' line for years. Although the move doesn't have the sizzle of other potential choices, it fortifies the interior of the team's offense and should improve its dismal running game.

Brian Robiskie WR 6'3" 209 Ohio State - Round 2, Pick 4 (36)

Pick Analysis:The most polished receiver in the draft falls to the Browns at No. 36. The former Buckeye is an exceptional route-runner with outstanding hands and ball skills. Though he isn't a classic deep threat, Robiskie is a big-play threat capable of being a productive No. 2 receiver in the Browns' offense.

Seems fairly solid to me.

So we traded the rights to a QB who may not turn out to be better than either of the two we already have for: C Mack, LB Veikune, CB Francies, RB Davis, QB Ratliff, S Elam and DE Coleman???

7 football players, one who has Pro Bowl potential, four of whom may start right away ... and everyone of them at positions of need.

I think that is awesome. And Quinn will be better than Sanchez.

Zombo

--now that's how you build a football team

Mankok may not get the headlines or get the glamourboy interviews they may even get bad grades but i think we got what we needed and thats all that matters..

It was a great draft for us it just takes a while for it to sink in for many but on the field of play is where this draft will shine...;)

Mankok may not get the headlines or get the glamourboy interviews they may even get bad grades but i think we got what we needed and thats all that matters..

It was a great draft for us it just takes a while for it to sink in for many but on the field of play is where this draft will shine...;)

Agree. Not flashy, and as someone said, no jersey to run out and buy, but I like it.

-----------------------------------------------------

All picks and acquisitions now posted.

Agree. Not flashy, and as someone said, no jersey to run out and buy, but I like it.

-----------------------------------------------------

All picks and acquisitions now posted.

I could see people buying Robiskie's jersey. If BE can't get his head together, he may end up as our #1 receiver next year.

I could see people buying Robiskie's jersey. If BE can't get his head together, he may end up as our #1 receiver next year.

IF Robiskie has a break out year..... I cant lie I would buy one being a OSU homer... ONLY IF he proves it on the field..... you never know he could be a bust. I dont think so with his father teaching him probably since he could walk

Archived