THE BROWNS BOARD

UDFA Signings Thread

Guest mz.

Just for the people who care: here is a list of the undrafted rookies. I think that there are some guys like Bennett, Casillas and Parrish are all guys that could contribute. I am not saying will start, but they could be decednt role players.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/ins...%3fid%3d4103469

These players might not have been drafted, but they still could find their way onto an NFL roster. Here's a look at the top 20 undrafted players:

1. Michael Bennett, DE, Texas A&M

Bennett is our highest-ranked free agent still available at this point. His ability to hold up against the run makes him a solid value as a five-technique in 3-4 defensive front.

2. Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn State

Although Cadogan isn't dominant in any one area, he does possess the size and strength to come into camp and compete for a backup role.

3. C.J. Spillman, DS, Marshall

Spillman's lack of fluidity brings up concerns about his overall range. However, he possesses strong football intelligence and is a reliable open-field tackler.

4. Augustus Parrish, OT, Kent State

A lack of overall athleticism may make Parrish more suited for the guard position. We feel he plays with adequate leverage and has the toughness to potentially add depth to the offensive line.

5. Emanuel Cook, DS, South Carolina

There are concerns about Cook's ability to hold up in man coverage and in center field. Still, his overall range in run support makes a case for him to potentially develop into a sub-package run-defender and special teams contributor.

6. Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU

Beckwith brings strong overall instincts and a physical attitude when defending the run on the interior. At the very least, he should get a chance to compete for a backup role.

7. Jonathan Casillas, OLB, Wisconsin

Casillas is undersized at 228 pounds, but he has a great blend of instincts, fluidity and range. In addition, he can bring added value as a special teams contributor.

8. Brian Hoyer, QB, Michigan State

Hoyer admittedly needs to take better care of the ball at times. Still, we believe he is underrated thanks in large part to a mediocre receiving corps. Teams willing to take the time could make him into a valuable backup.

9. Mitch King, DT, Iowa

King is a bit of a tweener who is going to have problems finding a true niche in the NFL. That said, he may have the potential to develop into a versatile reserve.

10. Cornelius Lewis, OT, Tennessee State

Lewis has excellent size, but one of the reasons he may not have been drafted is due to his lack of agility. That said, we believe he can develop into an effective guard, if he doesn't work out at the tackle position.

I was watching this right before the draft. I basically said whoever got this guy was going to have a great WR! This guy is the shit when it comes to hands. It is unreal we got him. I think he will come out and be someone great. watch this

4:50 in is when he did the perfect run!!

Check those hands!

I was watching this right before the draft. I basically said whoever got this guy was going to have a great WR! This guy is the shit when it comes to hands. It is unreal we got him. I think he will come out and be someone great.

Check those hands!

Wow...he makes catching look easy. The anti-BE.

The video on Norwood is nice, but guys go UDFA for a reason; for every Josh Cribbs there's, well, every other UDFA the team has signed over the last ten years. Besides, if skills competitions were accurate demonstrations of a player's potential--as opposed to nice entertainment when the games aren't being played--one would expect to see Craig Hodges somewhere in the NBA's all-time top ten in scoring.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

Don't get the skills competition analogy. Most people agree that play during the practices of senior all star games is a fairly good predictor of NFL success.

Norwood's rail thin and lacks deep speed (4.58 40), but he could develop into a decent slot receiver. And from how well he comes off in the interview, you can tell that he's a Mangini type.

Two more UDFA's have been added: safety Nate Ness (Arizona) and d-lineman Adam Hoppel (Cincinnati). Maybe AZBrowns can give us the inside scoop on Ness.

Guest Aloysius
Akron's Bryan Williams was disappointed about not being selected in the NFL Draft over the weekend, but not with his immediate destination.

Williams, 21, who was a standout at Buchtel High and the University of Akron, signed a free-agent contract with the Browns and will report to a rookie camp Thursday.

''This is huge. Not being drafted was a blessing in disguise because I can sign with any team,'' said Williams, who was also offered a free-agent deal with the Washington Redskins. ''The Browns are my favorite team. I hate to see them losing.

''This gives me a chance to play for the team I like and it's the hometown team.''

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Williams said the Browns want him to work for a special-teams spot, returning kicks and covering kicks, with a chance to earn a place in the secondary in the future.

The guy's clearly an athlete - he ran a 4.38 40 and posted a 40" vertical at his pro day - but my understanding is that he only has one year of experience playing safety. Anybody know whether he played well last year?

The guy's clearly an athlete - he ran a 4.38 40 and posted a 40" vertical at his pro day - but my understanding is that he only has one year of experience playing safety. Anybody know whether he played well last year?

My buddy Smitty calls him a Cribbs kind of guy, and he coached him.

Guest Aloysius
I'm a bit disappointed the Browns didn't sign a few more undrafted Offensive linemen. The amount of them in the NFL today always surprises me.

The Marlon Davis signing could turn out to be a good one. We were one of a couple teams to work out the two year starter, so I'm sure he was a highly sought after UDFA.

Here's a scouting report on him:

Marlon Davis

6-2.5, 299

40 Time: 5.32

BIOGRAPHY: Full-time starter the past two seasons after seeing limited action with the first team as a sophomore.

POSITIVES: Undersized, low-to-the-ground lineman best in a small area. Bends his knees, blocks with leverage, and seals defenders from the action with solid body positioning. Squares into opponents turning them off the line and displays good strength at the initial point of attack. Quickly gets into blocks, patient in pass protection, and keeps his head on a swivel. Flashes the ability to pull across the line of scrimmage, block in motion, and gets chips on linebackers. Works well with line-mates and plays with a large degree of explosion.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his overall strength as he struggles to finish blocks. Bends at the waist or overextends into blocks, which adversely affects his balance. Not light on his feet and struggles sliding in space.

ANALYSIS: Davis is a solid small area mauler with the body type to play guard in the NFL. He must improve his strength and iron out his game, yet he is worth a look in camp this summer.

Sounds like he may be a year or two away from being a nice reserve interior lineman, perhaps even a starting RG.

Here is a scouting report on Tyrell Sutton. He just signed in Green Bay. In high school, he and Chris Wells competed for Ohio's best RB. Any chance of being overlooked at because of his size?

Tyrell Sutton may be small, but he's extraordinarily productive. Injuries have cut his junior and senior seasons down to just 7 and 9 games each, but Sutton was very productive early in those seasons. Sutton's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield (or to motion out into the slot) will help him to make it in the NFL. His senior campaign was strong when he was healthy, as he rushed for 890 yards and 6 touchdowns and caught 35 balls for 305 yards and 2 touchdowns. He tallied 3886 rushing yards and 31 TDs in his four years at Northwestern. He also boasts a 5.3 yards per carry average for his career, all the more impressive considering his 5'9", 205 lbs. frame. Sutton has hauled in 149 catches for 1244 yards for the Wildcats, scoring 6 receiving TDs. He's also a more than adequate pass blocker for his size, and does a great job of chipping at a linebacker and still making it into the flat to be the quarterback's safety valve. Sutton is stronger than he looks and runs well between the tackles. He has a similar style and skill set to Brian Westbrook of the Philadelphia Eagles. Sutton could make a very good third down back in the NFL and even work his way into an every down back if he gets bigger and stronger. Sutton may have the best hands of any running back in this entire draft class, which will have several teams interested. Sutton will be drafted low due to his size and injury history, but could turn out to be one of the better sixth round backs ever if he improves.

Tyrell Sutton had a good week at the East-West Shrine Game in January. Sutton showed good vision and acceleration running the ball during practice. Reports say he did at times make too many cuts when he'd have been better served running north and south, but that will improve over time. During the game Sutton ran 10 times for 37 yards and a touchdown, and also returned 3 kicks for 82 yards.

Tyrell Sutton showed up at the NFL Combine a little bigger than he usually played at, but without the results he expected. He ran a disappointing 4.66 second 40 yard dash. He did have a respectable 33 inch vertical leap, but he may have hurt his stock with this performance. Sutton is a late sixth or early seventh round prospect at this point.

The Marlon Davis signing could turn out to be a good one. We were one of a couple teams to work out the two year starter, so I'm sure he was a highly sought after UDFA.

Sounds like he may be a year or two away from being a nice reserve interior lineman, perhaps even a starting RG.

Davis is a nice signing. Another good kid who seems to fit the personality and work ethic that Mangini seems to be trying to put together in this draft.

I really expected them to sign one or two OT's as well.

I was watching this right before the draft. I basically said whoever got this guy was going to have a great WR! This guy is the shit when it comes to hands. It is unreal we got him. I think he will come out and be someone great. watch this

Check those hands!

Watching the video, does anyone else see Wes Welker potential?

He has the same heart as Welker. Welker is a bit shorter and a bit more compact. Norwood has that wire like frame where the are not jacked but are tough as nails. Norwood will find his spots and be able to catch anything that comes his way. Good Good pick up.

Wish we could have signed Franz Joseph.... He has the attitude and high motor that could translate into a damn good NFL linebacker.... I realize he had some issues but most of the great NFL linebackers need anger management .... He might be a stud for his team.....

T.Dawg

• 3 months later...
Guest Aloysius
Obviously the guys who go UDFA are likely to have short, non-memorable careers, but I'm kind of bummed about Ramon Foster going to the Steelers. He was a pretty good OT for the Vols, and was a team leader. Good kid, and I have to hope he does well, even if it's for the enemy.

So far, Foster has been very impressive:

On a positive note, undrafted tackle Ramon Foster played well at left guard Sunday. In the one-on-one drills, Foster planted Jordan Reffett on his back and then stopped Reffett a second time. Foster also put Scott Paxson on the ground, causing line coach Larry Zierlein to shout, “We’re having a Ramon day!”

Foster also pulled into the strong side during the run scrimmage and blew open a hole for Rashard Mendenhall. The block occurred at the expense of a third-teamer, but look for the coaching staff to increase the level of competition against Foster in the next couple of days.

The Browns met with Foster at the Combine. It's too bad he didn't end up in Cleveland. Word is he's outplaying Kraig Urbik, a guy the Steelers drafted in the 3rd round.

Well.... we lost our Homecoming game to BG in the 4th when we were up by 3 scores...... I dont think the secondary played that well

Archived