THE BROWNS BOARD

So....who gets cut??

ballpeen

Over this past draft weekend the browns picked up the following players.

Alex Mack

Mohamed Massaquoi

Brian Robiskie

Coye Francies

David Veikume

Kaluka Maiava

Don Carey

James Davis

Abram Elam

Kenyon Coleman

Brett Ratliff

I think each of those players is going to make the team as Mangini transitions this from a Savage team in to his team

So the question I pose is who is going to get cut to make room for the players listed above??

I am going to think about it before I list the players i think are going to be cut.

Not to mention i have to run out for about 45 minutes. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have signed many new guys after the draft making it even tuffer to try and call cuts but here we go:

I think these savage guys are in imminent danger of being cut:

Steptoe

Sanders

Fraley

Hubbard

S.Smith

I'm sure we're all thinking Stallworth, and I believe we can add Williams to that list as well.

If Norwood pans out (love him, has a lot of heart), we're going to lose Hubbard and Steptoe unless Cribbs moves to the defensive side of the ball.

Quinn for sure.

The guy's a douche and has yet to figure out how to win the Lombardi from the practice field.

Plus if he starts this year then we have to pay him some money. Can you imagine that? Paying your starting QB money? Who would be stupid enough to do that?

Quinn's a goner, so get ready to see DA continue to "dissect" the defenses of the league. :rolleyes:

Mack will replace Fraley. Fraley is good enough to be a back-up, but he lacks versatility, which in the end will cost him a spot.

The receivers will replace Steptoe for sure. Just not sure how we handle the Stallworth deal as that isn't likely to be resolved for a year or so. We may just decide to cut him to avoid the distraction and take the cap hit. The more i think about it, that is probably the route we take.

Carey....here is the shocker...I think Pool is gone. I think the starting safeties will be Elam and Adams with carey or francies being groomed for a safety slot. We have also talked about Cribbs playing safety.

I just don't see Pool as a Manginite.

Veikume.....Orr is toast.

Maiava.....Bell, unless he really comes on in a big way. One of the common traits you can find in the guys we drafted is they are pretty bright. Learning disability or not, Bell isn't a bright individual.

Davis....the big question mark. Is Lewis done?? I think both Harrison and Wright bring more to the table at this point, and wouldn't be surprised to see Davis in a feature role.

That said...it is a toss-up that Davis replaces Lewis or one of the two fullbacks....as someone said, possibly Vickers as Ali seems to bring more to the field with his special teams play.

Keep bringing it....I think this is going to be the big story line as we head in to camp.

the less intelligent ones:

Beau Bell

Lawrence Vickers

Kamerian Wimbley

HAHA. Let's just let a pro bowl FB who has done a GREAT job, our former 1st round/only pass rush threat walk... RIIIGHT. I'd be shocked to see Bell dropped this early as well. He is cheap and in a position of need.

I'd have to look at how expensive Fraley is. if he's cheap, they keep him as insurance. Steptoe is for sure gone, and Hubbard is just as close. I think Pool lasts through this season until they get those guys you discussed trained. I think Bell has to step up or be gone.

The only one I disagree greatly with you on is Lewis. He'll be here. I actually envision them just giving Harrison more carries, and somewhat transitioning Lewis into a Bettis role.

First....Rice.....thanks for the correction on Wright...I will have to rethink that one.

JAD...my only thinking on Fraley is he is a one position player. I like him at center over hadnot, but Hadnot brings more to the table as he also plays giard.

That is going to be a close one to watch, but in the end, I think the multi positions is what is going to save a few of those linemen.....maybe fraly takes Sowells slot...he's another who I think is going to have to hope for several people getting injured to make the squad.

I do agree the Lewis deal is a bold statement(some might call it dumb ;) ).

I just think Lewis may have hit the wall. He was awful slow to the hole this past season. I don't know if that is going to get much better.

Watch some film on Davis..he hits the line in a hurry, as does Harrison.

The difference between Davis and Harrison is Davis, while not a big back, is a good inside runner who has some pop in his step.

That is a good point Jad...all players need some tutoring from vets. Mack would benefit from a guy like Fraley....line calls and such...though it isn't unheard of for a guard to call it to his center, who then calls it out to the other side of the line.

Steinbach could fill that role for a while if need be.

it will be a close call for Fraley and Hadnot.

Ok, I've updated the roster list:

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3456

The 'active' roster (by my records) shows 72 players. So, let's say we need to get down to the 53 man roster. Which 19 players do you think will be cut?

I don't think it's possible that Fraley gets cut. You can't bring in a new C and expect him to start right away without someone there to mentor him & back him up. I just don't see that happening.

Here's my 19. I think we'll end up keeping one or two guys from this list and end up cutting one or two more DB's, but I'm not sure who.

QB - Bartel, Richard

RB - Thomas, Marcus - FA Signing from Detroit

RB - Patrick, Allen

WR - Ellis, Devale

WR - Hubbard, Paul (Practice Squad)

WR - Leggett, Lance

WR - Stallworth, Donte

TE - Walker, Aaron - FA Signing from St. Louis (Practice Squad)

OL - Sowells, Isaac

OL - Fry, Dustin

OL - Quarterman, Kurt (we'll have an OL on the practice squad I think)

DL - Purcell, Melila

DL - Smith, Shaun

DL - Thomas, Santonio

LB - Williams, Leon

LB - Holloway, David

LB - Brown, Titus

DB - Abdullah, Hamza

DB - Lawson, Gerard

Here's my 19. I think we'll end up keeping one or two guys from this list and end up cutting one or two more DB's, but I'm not sure who.

That's a good list. . . Might be right-on with what I would put together. For some reason I don't think they'll cut Shaun Smith this year, but otherwise I would agree.

That's a good stab. No sense reinventing the wheel. I can go with that.

Lewis rushed for 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and was slow to the hole last year because there were no holes... I see Lewis having a great season in 2009...Keep in mind, he was hurt in preseason and played the year at about 85%... Lewis was the 1st Browns back to have back to back 1000 yard seasons since???????

T.Dawg

Lewis rushed for 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and was slow to the hole last year because there were no holes... I see Lewis having a great season in 2009...Keep in mind, he was hurt in preseason and played the year at about 85%... Lewis was the 1st Browns back to have back to back 1000 yard seasons since???????

T.Dawg

Why not use Lewis as FB - He seems big enough. Just not sure how well he can block. Would be a better short yardage guy than Harrison. Harrison had to many big runs last year to just let this guy sit like he did under RAC.

QB Richard Bartel

RB Marcus Thomas

RB Patrick Allen

WR Ellis Devale

WR Donte Stallworth

WR Steve Sanders

OL Kurt Quarterman

DL Melila Purcell

LB Titus Brown

LB David Holloway

LB Leon Williams

DB Hazma Abdullah

Take your pick.

I think the 19 above is a good start, but have a few comments.

Regarding Fraley, couldn't Steinbach and Hadnot be the backups at C while still being starting Gs? I know Steinbach is thought of as a backup at T, but am I right in thinking that he would be a backup C as well? If Mack starts day 1, then that would enable you to cut Fraley - Steinbach would be able to handle the mentoring thing as well assist in line calls. I can't imagine a new coach who is trying to turn over his roster keeping a backup o-lineman (and a tired old vet to boot) that can play only one position.

Also, if steptoe is cut, then who is the backup kick returner?

Other than the stupid guy, the only major cut I disagree with is Shaun Smith.

While I think the guy is an ass, and I don't really want him on our team, he's a serviceable NT. Who's going to back up Shaun Rogers if Shaun Smith is not on the team?

Andy

QB Richard Bartel

RB Marcus Thomas

RB Patrick Allen

WR Ellis Devale

WR Donte Stallworth

WR Steve Sanders

OL Kurt Quarterman

DL Melila Purcell

LB Titus Brown

LB David Holloway

LB Leon Williams

DB Hazma Abdullah

Take your pick.

Not just to pick you out, but were all of these guys active last year??

I don't think we can cut off practice squad players and expect to arrive at the number.

Just thinking out loud here.

Lewis is in another contract year. I expect him to come in buff and hungry, looking to squeeze out one last deal. A lot of his fall off last year can be blamed on Fraley, who got bitched all year long. Mack and hopefully Tucker make this a power running team again.

The more I think about it, the more this situation is perfect for Quinn. He's going to have a nice set of receivers, a terrific line, and a hungry Jamal Lewis.

It does add up for Quinn....I will assume he is the guy.

I think as much that went wrong last season might go our way this season.

We might be much better than people think...and face it, Mangini has to be a better game coach...that will have to add something towards possibly pulling out a extra game or two.

Ahhh even the most cynical of us are now optimistic. I just hope the national media stays cynical when it comes to us. We seem to do our best when everybody has counted us out.

Kind of like opening day in baseball......you are tied for first. ;)

Archived