THE BROWNS BOARD

EDGE being cut

Adz1987

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/27/cardinals-...lease-rb-james/

Having made two additions to their backfield over the weekend, the Cardinals are expected to release running back Edgerrin James, possibly before the team’s mandatory minicamp this weekend, the Arizona Republic reports.

With the addition of running backs Chris “Beanie” Wells (first round, 31st overall) and Larod Stephens-Howling (7th round, 240th overall), the Cardinals now have six players at the position on their roster.

James, a 10-year veteran, started seven games for the Cardinals last season. He rushed for 514 yards and three touchdowns while sharing time with rookie RB Tim Hightower. It has been speculated that James’ last game with the Cardinals was a 27-23 loss to the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII in which James recorded 33 yards on nine carries. James reportedly asked to be released by the team last season after seeing his role diminished. His 133 carries and 514 yards rushing were both career-lows.

With James expected to be cut, Hightower is likely to share duties with the recently drafted Wells.

I think somebody already mentioned the possibility of this. If Jamal can't take it this year I think we'd be in a bad way just relying on Harrison.

CLE just paid Lewis 6M in roster bonus. He ain't going no where and CLE isn't going to even look at Edge.

Everyone needs to get it out of their heads that Jamal is done....

We currently have one of the top 3 offensive lines in all of football... Jamal will be ok people.

And if not we'll be able to plug any UDFA we want in there just like Denver does.

"His 133 carries and 514 yards rushing were both career-lows."

we're going young.....no need for anymore over-the-hill players.

I agree with you AND I agree with Adam about our O-Line. I don't think we will need a superstar to run behind that line. The new center loves to run block too!

Jamal Lewis is criticized (in here quite often) for having too much wear on the tread.

Jamal Lewis: 2,399 career carries. Edgerrin James: 2,982 career carries.

Let's get OLDER and SLOWER, everyone!!!

I agree with you AND I agree with Adam about our O-Line. I don't think we will need a superstar to run behind that line. The new center loves to run block too!

I'm so damn excited about this season..

Edge isn't an option.. as others have said, too old and the team is trying to get younger. If a FA RB is looked at or picked up, my money is on one from Denver. They just drafted Moreno, and they currently have 11 RBs on their roster. I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton Hillis were released. He's not a fit at all in what McDaniels is going to run. He's an ex-fullback who was forced into the starting RB role when Denver had an entire stable of RBs injured.

If Ryan Torain, Selvin Young or Peyton Hillis are released, I think they'd get some major interest from a lot of teams. Young isn't an every-down back, but is a very good backup. Torain was being groomed as Shanahan's next starting RB I do believe, and was apparently looking very good before his injury. But I think McDaniels is going a different route with the signings of Correll Buckhalter, JJ Arrington, LaMont Jordan and the drafting of Moreno. No way they keep all their RBs.

My two cents..

Archived