THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC north grades

Solon16

CINCY:

This has a chance to be one of the best drafts in Bengals history, especially if Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith and USC middle linebacker Rey Maualuga develop into All-Pro performers. Both have the ability to be great NFL players. Maualuga slid into the second round because of off-the-field issues, plus the fact that he didn't call the defense at USC despite being a middle linebacker. But Maualuga is an upbeat, physical player who can lead in the locker room. Smith's bad body got him in trouble with some teams, but he weighed in at 333 pounds this week, plus Alabama head coach Nick Saban totally supported his status as a high pick.

Missouri TE Chase Coffman, 6-5, broke his foot in the Alamo Bowl game vs. Northwestern, but he has a pro pedigree, being the son of former Packers tight end Paul Coffman. Georgia Tech pass rusher Michael Johnson has great physical skills although many scouts thought he took many plays off on Saturdays. A local kid, Cincinnati punter Kevin Huber, won the Ray Guy Award as the nation's best punter last season. Grade: A

Cleve:

There's a good chance that Eric Mangini's former employer, the Jets, picked the Browns' pocket. Cleveland didn't get enough value for the fifth overall spot in the first round from the Jets, unless you really love Jets safety Abram Elam, DE Kenyon Coleman and third-string QB Brett Ratliff. Well, Mangini does love those players and that's why he pulled the trigger on the draft's biggest trade. The Rams may not be the best judge, but they passed on these same players.

Cal center Alex Mack should eventually be a starter and the fans had to love Buckeyes WR Brian Robiskie in the second round. Hawaii's David Veikune is a project at outside linebacker, but he does have power and good hands. Grade: C

Balt:

GM Ozzie Newsome made a bold move to trade up and select Ole Miss offensive tackle Michael Oher at No. 23. Oher was rated in the top 12 on most teams' draft boards and was considered the smartest player at his position.

Utah's Paul Kruger reminds me of Jared Allen, a high-motor pass rusher who seems to fit Baltimore's defensive scheme. Texas Christian University inside linebacker Jason Phillips will be given a shot to replace the departed Bart Scott. Grade: B-

Pitt:

The Steelers took Evander "Ziggy" Hood, a very good inside pass rusher from the defensive tackle position. Hood was the only player the Steelers took in the first two rounds because they don't have many needs. They took undersized Penn State center A.Q. Shipley in the seventh round, but scouts think this kid knows how to play despite his limitations.

The Steelers went for a two-gapping defensive tackle in Oregon's Ra'Shon Harris in the sixth round and took a blocking tight end in David Johnson of Arkansas State at the end of the seventh round. Grade: C

Source? Edit: Oh, I see, it says Fox Sports under the thread title.

Btw, I think we picked their pocket for what we needed (it is much tougher to trade down...most teams would LOVE to). They can blow all the coin and we need the bodies!

I find it funny that you only posted that one. I saw a whole bunch on Grades in an earlier thread...

CLICK HERE > http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4439

Cleve:

There's a good chance that Eric Mangini's former employer, the Jets, picked the Browns' pocket. Cleveland didn't get enough value for the fifth overall spot in the first round from the Jets, unless you really love Jets safety Abram Elam, DE Kenyon Coleman and third-string QB Brett Ratliff. Well, Mangini does love those players and that's why he pulled the trigger on the draft's biggest trade. The Rams may not be the best judge, but they passed on these same players.

Only a complete moron would think that the Jets offered the same package to anyone else..... Mangini OBVIOUSLY specifically requested the named Jets to be included in the trade.

Plus we don't have to pay top 5 money? We win.

I still say mangini got the better of that deal but it wont be obvious until gametime...;)

Our defense at least on paper has everything even a pass rush...adding a center and robo with edwards and bq as starter enough said we compete this year not in 3 years...

I was talking to a Bengals fan over the weekend, and we agree that Cincinnati's draft has the potential to be a great one--the problem is that the top three all have pretty big question marks aournd them. As I think was brought up in the chat room--and probably came up here--the big issue is that you need a team with solid veteran leadership to keep potential problem rookies in line. Does anyone think the Bengals can pull that one off?

The Steelers didn't dazzle, but they never do, which is what makes them so frustrating.

I thought the Ravens did really well, which again shouldn't be a surprise--Ozzie Newsome is the best GM in football. People clamor for the top-10 QB, he trades up to 18, everybody thinks he stretched, and the kid takes the team to the AFC Championship game. Then he gets lucky and Jonathan Ogden's replacement falls to the team at 23. The man hits about 2-3 times as many times as he misses.

As for the Browns, again...solid, not dazzling. As someone (I think it was Shep) said, Kokinis did what Phil Savage always said he was going to do--aim for singles and doubles to help the team, rather than swinging for the fences, and I think he succeeded.

Dennis

I was talking to a Bengals fan over the weekend, and we agree that Cincinnati's draft has the potential to be a great one--the problem is that the top three all have pretty big question marks aournd them. As I think was brought up in the chat room--and probably came up here--the big issue is that you need a team with solid veteran leadership to keep potential problem rookies in line. Does anyone think the Bengals can pull that one off?

The Steelers didn't dazzle, but they never do, which is what makes them so frustrating.

I thought the Ravens did really well, which again shouldn't be a surprise--Ozzie Newsome is the best GM in football. People clamor for the top-10 QB, he trades up to 18, everybody thinks he stretched, and the kid takes the team to the AFC Championship game. Then he gets lucky and Jonathan Ogden's replacement falls to the team at 23. The man hits about 2-3 times as many times as he misses.

As for the Browns, again...solid, not dazzling. As someone (I think it was Shep) said, Kokinis did what Phil Savage always said he was going to do--aim for singles and doubles to help the team, rather than swinging for the fences, and I think he succeeded.

Dennis

Problem is that everybody , at this point, thinks they had a great draft. We should be talkiong about 2006 now and talking about this draft in 2012. Because, honestly, who knows?

Guest Masters
Problem is that everybody , at this point, thinks they had a great draft. We should be talkiong about 2006 now and talking about this draft in 2012. Because, honestly, who knows?

Come on Ytown, no Raider fan thinks they had a great draft :)

Archived